Somerset 28 Sheldon Clark 12

Rasputin

I know Jay Cobb and I'm also sure he's proud of them. But let's don't act like it's not a legitimate question -- and especially one that won't come up several times over the next week when the C-J and H-L come calling for info on feature stories previewing the finals, as well as after the game. Like it or not, this will be a big angle of the Somerset story whether or not Steve wants to address it.

Regardless, I think getting to the finals is fantastic for the Somerset folks who bothered to be friendly toward me during my time living there, and I'm thrilled for them! Good luck to the school with the most delightfully weird and unique mascot in the state, hands-down! :thumb:

1. :deadhorse:

2. :ohbrother:

3. Who's Steve?

1. :deadhorse:

2. :ohbrother:

3. Who's Steve?

Steve Cornelius.

And I'm sorry you feel that way about it, but the bottom line is it's a huge story for a team to get all the way to the state championship game after their longtime coach steps down just weeks before the season. For most teams, that's a recipe for disaster; SHS made it work somehow. All the TV stations and bigger papers are going to want to talk about it, so get used to it.

Oh, that Steve. He rarely if ever writes an article on Somerset unless it includes Pulaski as well. Tim Hyden covers the Jumpers now.

I know it's a big story to outsiders but the boys, coaches and parents really put this behind them within days. Mostly thanks to Coach Lucas not letting them dwell on anything other than practice and getting ready for next week. Coach Cobb didn't run or abandon the team as many around the state think. He had a disagreement with the admin over what was needed for the team and (right or wrong) felt by resigning he would call attention to what needed to be done by the admin to support the team. Coach Cobb spoke to the players (many before he resigned) and all of the parents the night he resigned. The players and parents almost unanimously supported Coach in his decision. Coach Lucas each week on the post game interviews still gives Cobb all of the credit and will accept no credit for what he has done.

Robbie Lucas does deserve credit for what has happened this year, if any story gets statewide attention that is the story I would like to see get attention. That and the fact that he is still only the interim coach.

Oh, that Steve. He rarely if ever writes an article on Somerset unless it includes Pulaski as well. Tim Hyden covers the Jumpers now.

Right, but as Sports Editor of the paper, he has say over what goes into the sports section.

I know it's a big story to outsiders but the boys, coaches and parents really put this behind them within days. Mostly thanks to Coach Lucas not letting them dwell on anything other than practice and getting ready for next week. Coach Cobb didn't run or abandon the team as many around the state think. He had a disagreement with the admin over what was needed for the team and (right or wrong) felt by resigning he would call attention to what needed to be done by the admin to support the team. Coach Cobb spoke to the players (many before he resigned) and all of the parents the night he resigned. The players and parents almost unanimously supported Coach in his decision. Coach Lucas each week on the post game interviews still gives Cobb all of the credit and will accept no credit for what he has done.

Robbie Lucas does deserve credit for what has happened this year, if any story gets statewide attention that is the story I would like to see get attention. That and the fact that he is still only the interim coach.

Were I writing the story for the C-J or H-L, my angle would be how the players felt to have their coach resign just weeks before the season, what has been different with Coach Lucas at the helm, and how they were able to bond together during this run. In this scenario, of course, the players would have every opportunity to talk up the job Coach Lucas has done.

Best thing ever happened to Somerset was Cobb quitting! They would not be were they are now if he was the coach still. I say this because I have seen the difference in attitude in the players. Now they just play hard and smart. The stupid penalties are at a minimum and just one of those can cost you a game and I believe they have during the Cobb era. Let me also say that I believe Cobb is great at preparing kids during the offseason though!!

Best thing ever happened to Somerset was Cobb quitting! They would not be were they are now if he was the coach still. I say this because I have seen the difference in attitude in the players. Now they just play hard and smart. The stupid penalties are at a minimum and just one of those can cost you a game and I believe they have during the Cobb era. Let me also say that I believe Cobb is great at preparing kids during the offseason though!!

I know nothing about their situation down there but...That is a bold statment