Randall Cobb

Original Rookie

I thought we were talking about this Randall Cobb.....the guy who challenged Larry Holmes for the title in 1982.

texbox.jpg

Then I wondered why he would be mentioned in the College Football thread......silly me.

Later.

Randall "Tex" Cobb.

Funny you bring him up. I went to the UK/Vanderbilt game in Nashville in the mid 1980's and Tex Cobb was in this little dive bar in the parking lot of the Vanderbilt stadium (if think it was called Jones's) hitting a heavy bag. I don't know why he was there, but I recently heard he had gone back to college and received his diploma.

The boxer was Randall "Tex" Cobb and UK's great playmaker would be Randall "Tenn" Cobb.

I can't think of a guy that I've seen better. He is asked to do so much and always performs no matter where he is. QB, WR, Punt Returner, Holds for the kicker... he is just awesome.

He's all of that, but what puts him on the next level to me is his ability to make huge plays in any situation and to make something out of nothing when it looks like he has no chance. He's clutch, which is typically something only QB's are.

I think one reason is that he is good at everything (pretty much) but not really great (statistically) at any one thing. He is an awesome player, that is flying way under the rader.

But UK is not relevant and he doesn't have outrageous stats or anything. You actually have to watch the game to see how talented the guy is. He reminds me a lot of Hines Ward, when Ward was a do-it-all player at UGA.

Think Cobb is one of the better players I have seen this year. As Florida Gator fan would say Cobb one of the few Kentucky players who could start for Florida or Alabama. I am not putting other Ky players down just think Cobb is very good player.

I think Cobb is amazing. I think I'd put him as the 3rd best offensive player in the SEC right now because of his versitility, behind only Tebow and Ingram. He's not the best WR in the SEC, but he gives you more IMO than A.J. Green or Julio Jones because of his ability to play mulitiple positions. Cobb could be an All-American if here were on a better team. Cobb has the potential to be held among the top UK players of all-time if he continues to develop and improve.

I think Cobb is amazing. I think I'd put him as the 3rd best offensive player in the SEC right now because of his versitility, behind only Tebow and Ingram. He's not the best WR in the SEC, but he gives you more IMO than A.J. Green or Julio Jones because of his ability to play mulitiple positions. Cobb could be an All-American if here were on a better team. Cobb has the potential to be held among the top UK players of all-time if he continues to develop and improve.

That is the Catch-22.

If he were at Florida or Alabama, there is a strong chance he would have been redshirted last season. There is also the possibility he might not get the chance to be showcased at those schools due to the stockpiling of skilled talent they have on their roster.

He might have a better chance to be an all-American on a team like Kentucky who is not stockpiled with skilled talent and will showcase his talent.