Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

NKY Pride in Highlands? Is Ernst Correct?

Featured Replies

Yes, they absolutely have respect. However, you're a fool if you confuse the respect they have with "pride" in their victory. A few? A FEW? Get out of Ft Thomas occasionally.

 

:thumb: Absolutely. Respect them? Without question. How could you not? Think it's nice to see NKY occasinally hang with (and beat) some of the big, bad boys north of the river? Most definitely. Bursting with "pride" over another school's victory? Not me. Not any of the people I've talked to.

 

I would actually take more "pride" as a NKYian if one of our tiny, less-successful schools came away with some incredulous victory - something along the lines of a Milan accomplishment. Hard to get all swelled up with "pride" over a win - impressive as though it was - by a school with a very storied and successful past that already owns volumes of great wins.

  • Replies 179
  • Views 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author
:thumb: Absolutely. Respect them? Without question. How could you not? Think it's nice to see NKY occasinally hang with (and beat) some of the big, bad boys north of the river? Most definitely. Bursting with "pride" over another school's victory? Not me. Not any of the people I've talked to.

 

I would actually take more "pride" as a NKYian if one of our tiny, less-successful schools came away with some incredulous victory - something along the lines of a Milan accomplishment. Hard to get all swelled up with "pride" over a win - impressive as though it was - by a school with a very storied and successful past that already owns volumes of great wins.

 

Be warned.

 

You're now on the "list."

 

You stated it well. When HHS wins people think its a case of "the rich getting richer" or "the qb gets the model girlfriend."

I personally feel it was an outstanding accomplishment knocking off St. X. Ohio always looks down on KY teams, typically deserving. This preseason there was a lot of hype about potential on this side of the river. It's nice to see some the hype become reality and much more still left to decide. However, I would root for every school in the state of KY against the bluebirds.

Be warned.

 

You're now on the "list."

 

You stated it well. When HHS wins people think its a case of "the rich getting richer" or "the qb gets the model girlfriend."

 

Amen. Every once in a while it would be nice to see an offensive lineman get a girl like Gisele. Man, she's hot. I'd like to punch Brady in the face. Guy thinks he's all that and then some. What was this thread about again?

Hey, the reason many of us are glad Highlands won is that it will make our programs look all that much better when WE beat Highlands (or even if we lose 12-7.)

I know I live in Ft. Thomas, but assuming you're not a Cov Cath student, alumni or parent, I just don't understand the 'hate Highlands' thing.

 

I look at it like the 'don't hate the messanger' thing. If you're not smaller than HHS, and you get your butt kicked, then here's the message: "work harder, work smarter." It's really that simple. HHS shows everyone what's possible, and I think many people just don't like being shown that what they're currently doing isn't good enough. The day Highlands stops working this hard and this smart, they won't be as successful.

 

No excuses. If you think the Jr. Football League is the big secret, then start your own version, just like someone did 40 years ago in Ft. Thomas. If you think the great community support is the reason, then get your community fired up. There's nothing that Highlands does that everyone else can't.

 

It's sort of like when the Japanese car companies came over here. Their stuff was better, & all the American car guys hated them. Rather than take their example and work harder, the American car companies said 'We can't do what they do. They have an unfair advantage with the Japanese worker.' We all know how that line of thinking worked out for the Big 3.

 

Don't hate HHS for their advantages - they created them by themselves, no one gave them anything. Ft. Thomas Schools is one of the worst funded districts in the state EVERY YEAR. It's almost a crime how little money is returned to them by the state. Most of you have a huge advantage right there (sorry Beechwood, you're in the same boat as us!).

I would choose B - we were so happy for Holmes to win the Sweet 16 this year. It was great to see Highlands beat St X, however it wasn't the game of all games I would have been cheering for.

:thumb: Absolutely. Respect them? Without question. How could you not? Think it's nice to see NKY occasinally hang with (and beat) some of the big, bad boys north of the river? Most definitely. Bursting with "pride" over another school's victory? Not me. Not any of the people I've talked to.

 

I would actually take more "pride" as a NKYian if one of our tiny, less-successful schools came away with some incredulous victory - something along the lines of a Milan accomplishment. Hard to get all swelled up with "pride" over a win - impressive as though it was - by a school with a very storied and successful past that already owns volumes of great wins.

 

Milan made the final 4 the year before they won state in 1954. :D

I work with several CCH grads and they were all pumped about the win.

I know I live in Ft. Thomas, but assuming you're not a Cov Cath student, alumni or parent, I just don't understand the 'hate Highlands' thing.

 

I look at it like the 'don't hate the messanger' thing. If you're not smaller than HHS, and you get your butt kicked, then here's the message: "work harder, work smarter." It's really that simple. HHS shows everyone what's possible, and I think many people just don't like being shown that what they're currently doing isn't good enough. The day Highlands stops working this hard and this smart, they won't be as successful.

 

No excuses. If you think the Jr. Football League is the big secret, then start your own version, just like someone did 40 years ago in Ft. Thomas. If you think the great community support is the reason, then get your community fired up. There's nothing that Highlands does that everyone else can't.

 

It's sort of like when the Japanese car companies came over here. Their stuff was better, & all the American car guys hated them. Rather than take their example and work harder, the American car companies said 'We can't do what they do. They have an unfair advantage with the Japanese worker.' We all know how that line of thinking worked out for the Big 3.

 

Don't hate HHS for their advantages - they created them by themselves, no one gave them anything. Ft. Thomas Schools is one of the worst funded districts in the state EVERY YEAR. It's almost a crime how little money is returned to them by the state. Most of you have a huge advantage right there (sorry Beechwood, you're in the same boat as us!).

 

You hit the nail on the head...:thumb:

Main Entry: pride

Part of Speech: verb

Definition: take pleasure in accomplishment

Synonyms: be proud, boast, brag, congratulate, crow, exult, felicitate, flatter oneself, gasconade, glory in, hold head high, overbear, pique*, plume, prance, preen, presume, puff up, revel in, strut, swagger, swell, vaunt

I think everyone in KY is proud of the Bluebirds. :thumb:

 

As much as I would like to agree with you....for some that's just not possible. Congrats to Highlands again on their win! :thumb:

Without question, it's B. How can you compare a regular season football game to an "all school" basketball state championship? IMO, apples and oranges. What Holmes accomplished was much more impressive.

 

In your opinion maybe. No matter who Holmes played they still only had 15 or 16 players just like them. How many players where on the other side of the field from Highlands.

It appears you vastly overestimate it. We all may be rivals, but when it comes to outside forces, we band together as one. This win was a win, not just for Highlands...not just for NKY..but for the whole of Kentucky. If there is some anti-Highlands sentiment, I think you'll find it mostly outside the borders of NKY.

 

To be honest Birdsfan I think it is mostly teams in your class that yall beat that feels that way. I have never heard anyone around here have any anti-Highlands sentiment.

I know I live in Ft. Thomas, but assuming you're not a Cov Cath student, alumni or parent, I just don't understand the 'hate Highlands' thing.

 

I look at it like the 'don't hate the messanger' thing. If you're not smaller than HHS, and you get your butt kicked, then here's the message: "work harder, work smarter." It's really that simple. HHS shows everyone what's possible, and I think many people just don't like being shown that what they're currently doing isn't good enough. The day Highlands stops working this hard and this smart, they won't be as successful.

 

No excuses. If you think the Jr. Football League is the big secret, then start your own version, just like someone did 40 years ago in Ft. Thomas. If you think the great community support is the reason, then get your community fired up. There's nothing that Highlands does that everyone else can't.

 

It's sort of like when the Japanese car companies came over here. Their stuff was better, & all the American car guys hated them. Rather than take their example and work harder, the American car companies said 'We can't do what they do. They have an unfair advantage with the Japanese worker.' We all know how that line of thinking worked out for the Big 3.

 

Don't hate HHS for their advantages - they created them by themselves, no one gave them anything. Ft. Thomas Schools is one of the worst funded districts in the state EVERY YEAR. It's almost a crime how little money is returned to them by the state. Most of you have a huge advantage right there (sorry Beechwood, you're in the same boat as us!).

 

Best post of the night...by far! People want something for nothing. That's not the case in Fort Thomas. The reason people are so in love with Highlands is because its so community driven. As goes with anything, people that build something like to show it off, and be told that they did a good job.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.