Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

NKY Pride in Highlands? Is Ernst Correct?

Featured Replies

  • Author
To be honest Birdsfan I think it is mostly teams in your class that yall beat that feels that way. I have never heard anyone around here have any anti-Highlands sentiment.

 

Is "around here" in or near Mayfield?

  • Replies 179
  • Views 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those outside of NKY you should know that there is not one school with more animosity towards them than HHS. I'm not even sure if there is a 2nd place in that category.

 

That's why I posed the question.

 

Really? I mean I have lived in NKY my whole life, and I really have never heard this before. I mean honestly the school that I hear the most from people around NKY that they dislike the most is CovCath not Highlands.

  • Author
Best post of the night...by far! People want something for nothing. That's not the case in Fort Thomas. The reason people are so in love with Highlands is because its so community driven. As goes with anything, people that build something like to show it off, and be told that they did a good job.

 

No one is arguing that its a rational thought. Ft Thomas is a great community with a great school system (and halfway decent folks:D). Ft Bronc gave us a great answer to the question "SHOULD people not like Ft Thomas due to its success?"

 

That's not the question.

  • Author
Really? I mean I have lived in NKY my whole life, and I really have never heard this before. I mean honestly the school that I hear the most from people around NKY that they dislike the most is CovCath not Highlands.

 

OK. You're in the minority. If I remember correctly, you're a Ludlow guy, right? I can see that since I don't think Ludlow ever plays Highlands in anything.

 

If there is a 2nd place finisher, I'm sure it is CCH.

OK. You're in the minority. If I remember correctly, you're a Ludlow guy, right? I can see that since I don't think Ludlow ever plays Highlands in anything.

 

If there is a 2nd place finisher, I'm sure it is CCH.

 

Well as someone said if its a team that is in your district then yeah nobody is going to like them. However I mean that is basically the same for most. I bet most of those 6A schools have another school that they hate more than Highlands. I think the majority of the hate is just between Highlands and Covcath, since there so many fans of both. So those are the ones that are more vocal.

Best post of the night...by far! People want something for nothing. That's not the case in Fort Thomas. The reason people are so in love with Highlands is because its so community driven. As goes with anything, people that build something like to show it off, and be told that they did a good job.

 

:thumb: WELL SAID! I got tired of living on the wrong side of the tracks as I am an SK grad and many years ago, I married a bluebird. I was given the line I would live out of a cardboard box to be with you. I did not know that box had to be in the Fort Thomas city limits. I truly believe it was the best move I made to agree to settle in this community. They embrace outsiders, are passionate about their teams and let's not forget academics. It has been a wonderful place to raise two boys. Around 5 years ago, I was seriously ill with cancer and I can tell you that as a father of two young boys at the time it was nice to know that I not only had family but a community for support. I have been involved with the younger sports programs for the past few years, never once have I been treated as an outsider.

Words can't describe how I felt this past Friday night with the victory over Cincy St. X.

 

I was Proud for NKY when 4 teams from the area were competing in 4 of the 6 classes for a state football title.

 

I was elated that Holmes won the state basketball title.

In your opinion maybe. No matter who Holmes played they still only had 15 or 16 players just like them. How many players where on the other side of the field from Highlands.

 

On the other side of the field from Highlands? Probably as many as they wanted to be since I have never heard of a kid getting "cut" from a football team. Conversely, not every kid that wants to be on the basketball team can be, because they do make "cuts". Your point just didn't make much sense to me. All that matters is 11 on the field or 5 on the court at a time.

Words can't describe how I felt this past Friday night with the victory over Cincy St. X.

 

I was Proud for NKY when 4 teams from the area were competing in 4 of the 6 classes for a state football title.

 

I was elated that Holmes won the state basketball title.

 

Now with Holmes in 4A we just need to find a team to cover 3A and we can spread our joy to the whole state!:dancingpa:thumb: (Okay, it's a little early to drop something like that on the Dogs, but someday!)

On the other side of the field from Highlands? Probably as many as they wanted to be since I have never heard of a kid getting "cut" from a football team. Conversely, not every kid that wants to be on the basketball team can be, because they do make "cuts". Your point just didn't make much sense to me. All that matters is 11 on the field or 5 on the court at a time.

 

Just for the record, Cincy St. X has 170 football players.

I know I live in Ft. Thomas, but assuming you're not a Cov Cath student, alumni or parent, I just don't understand the 'hate Highlands' thing.

 

I look at it like the 'don't hate the messanger' thing. If you're not smaller than HHS, and you get your butt kicked, then here's the message: "work harder, work smarter." It's really that simple. HHS shows everyone what's possible, and I think many people just don't like being shown that what they're currently doing isn't good enough. The day Highlands stops working this hard and this smart, they won't be as successful.

 

No excuses. If you think the Jr. Football League is the big secret, then start your own version, just like someone did 40 years ago in Ft. Thomas. If you think the great community support is the reason, then get your community fired up. There's nothing that Highlands does that everyone else can't.

 

It's sort of like when the Japanese car companies came over here. Their stuff was better, & all the American car guys hated them. Rather than take their example and work harder, the American car companies said 'We can't do what they do. They have an unfair advantage with the Japanese worker.' We all know how that line of thinking worked out for the Big 3.

 

Don't hate HHS for their advantages - they created them by themselves, no one gave them anything. Ft. Thomas Schools is one of the worst funded districts in the state EVERY YEAR. It's almost a crime how little money is returned to them by the state. Most of you have a huge advantage right there (sorry Beechwood, you're in the same boat as us!).

 

I'll agree with alot of this, the junior league, the discipline, hard work, community involvement, etc. But and its a fairly big but IMO is that Highlands over the years has had more than a few very good/star players that never played a snap in the jr league. Its more than a little annoying for HHS fans to constantly tell fans of other teams to go out and work harder when the best player on your youth or middle school team ends up going to HHS. The same goes for Beechwood and Cov Cath here. There is no doubt that HHS puts more work in than probably anyone in KY except for maybe T or X and they are very well coached. I for one was rooting for them and proud as heck that they knocked off the bombers. I think NKY has some great football and I would agrue better football than most of Cincy outside of 2 or 3 huge GCL schools and Colerain and Anderson.

It appears you vastly overestimate it. We all may be rivals, but when it comes to outside forces, we band together as one. This win was a win, not just for Highlands...not just for NKY..but for the whole of Kentucky. If there is some anti-Highlands sentiment, I think you'll find it mostly outside the borders of NKY.

 

Yes sir on that one!:ylsuper:

No one is arguing that its a rational thought. Ft Thomas is a great community with a great school system (and halfway decent folks:D). Ft Bronc gave us a great answer to the question "SHOULD people not like Ft Thomas due to its success?"

 

That's not the question.

 

 

Never mind.

Words can't describe how I felt this past Friday night with the victory over Cincy St. X.

 

I was Proud for NKY when 4 teams from the area were competing in 4 of the 6 classes for a state football title.

 

I was elated that Holmes won the state basketball title.

 

Were you elated when Cov Cath boys won the state Track Championship this past spring???? :D:D

  • Author
Never mind.

 

Don't hold back on my account, my friend. Let me have it.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.