Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

NKY Pride in Highlands? Is Ernst Correct?

Featured Replies

For those outside of NKY you should know that there is not one school with more animosity towards them than HHS. I'm not even sure if there is a 2nd place in that category.

 

That's why I posed the question.

 

 

Why's that?

  • Replies 179
  • Views 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't hold back on my account, my friend. Let me have it.

 

I'll do it by PM.

Normally I have no pride in Highlands, they're in a different league of skill plain and simple. Almost every school in NKY loses to Highlands in some sport which might sway my opinion considering I'm still a student. From a community perspective, I was happy to see Holmes win the state championship for NKY, and was happy to see Simon Kenton go to the State championship. And I will admit I was happy to see Highlands beat St. X but I can't say I wouldn't have been happy if ANY KY school had beat an Ohio football team.

Normally I have no pride in Highlands, they're in a different league of skill plain and simple. Almost every school in NKY loses to Highlands in some sport which might sway my opinion considering I'm still a student. From a community perspective, I was happy to see Holmes win the state championship for NKY, and was happy to see Simon Kenton go to the State championship. And I will admit I was happy to see Highlands beat St. X but I can't say I wouldn't have been happy if ANY KY school had beat an Ohio football team.

 

Very mature thinking, particularly for a student. :thumb:

First, Congrats to the Bluebirds. That is a victory that you can (and will) talk about to the grandkids.

 

Clyde, I agree with you on most every point. ...and if you're wondering Birds fans, I'm not a CCH grad. This sentiment was prevalent when I played decades ago. HHS gets my respect, part of me even fought off being happy for them, but I'll never be remotely proud of them. In contrast, I was very proud and happy for Holmes. HHS people, there's a lot more Birds-haters out there than apparently you're aware of, and it's not all borne out of jealousy. I do ,however, think it's restricted to the football program.

 

One point that I disagree with Clyde on; CCH and HHS seem to be 1A and 1B. Many people hate all things CovCath. Whether it be the level of success, private vs. public, the Colonel Crazies, the perceived abundance of resources, or whatever. Start a thread like "should CCH serve pizza on Fridays at school?", or some other obscure thread, and the haters would come out of the woodwork. Clyde, I know you've seen it on the, "should CCH put lights on the football field?" thread. Unfortunately, there's more apparent self righteous indignation , than what appears on a typical BGP Politics and Religion forum thread. Two points that seems to escape most people is, a) it's just sports, and b) nobody at CCH or Highlands really care what outsiders think.

 

Congrats again Birds.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090926/SPT030201/909270386/1082/SPT/Bluebird+pride+surfaces

 

Interesting piece written by Ryan Ernst regarding the pride NKY took in the Birds' victory over X.

 

Is he correct? Does NKY really have pride that HHS beat X? Or is it possible that its "I'm glad NKY won but I sure wish it wasn't Highlands?"

 

From the comments I've heard its more the latter.

 

Thoughts?

 

 

Clyde you are way off base on this one. Quite frankly you have taken a great Highlands victory and reduced it to "I sure wish it wasn't Highlands". I am another that has to cross the river every day and listen to "NKY football isn't as good as Cincinnati Football". Well this week thanks to Highlands I got to go and spout off a little about how good NKY football really is. Now mind you I told them that Highlands wasn't even the best football program in NKY. I said if you can't beat Highlands then you don't want any part of class A Bellevue (LOL). Don't be so paranoid and realize that even though they may not be Highland fans NKY takes great pride in Highlands Football. Great program, great people, great win. Keep making NKY proud.:thumb::banana::thumb:

I know I live in Ft. Thomas, but assuming you're not a Cov Cath student, alumni or parent, I just don't understand the 'hate Highlands' thing.

 

I look at it like the 'don't hate the messanger' thing. If you're not smaller than HHS, and you get your butt kicked, then here's the message: "work harder, work smarter." It's really that simple. HHS shows everyone what's possible, and I think many people just don't like being shown that what they're currently doing isn't good enough. The day Highlands stops working this hard and this smart, they won't be as successful.

 

No excuses. If you think the Jr. Football League is the big secret, then start your own version, just like someone did 40 years ago in Ft. Thomas. If you think the great community support is the reason, then get your community fired up. There's nothing that Highlands does that everyone else can't.

 

It's sort of like when the Japanese car companies came over here. Their stuff was better, & all the American car guys hated them. Rather than take their example and work harder, the American car companies said 'We can't do what they do. They have an unfair advantage with the Japanese worker.' We all know how that line of thinking worked out for the Big 3.

 

Don't hate HHS for their advantages - they created them by themselves, no one gave them anything. Ft. Thomas Schools is one of the worst funded districts in the state EVERY YEAR. It's almost a crime how little money is returned to them by the state. Most of you have a huge advantage right there (sorry Beechwood, you're in the same boat as us!).

 

Great post all in all. I would like to point out though, most of the Cov Cath crowd doesn't "hate HHS for their advantages". We're ell aware that no one gave them anything. And I also have to question your remark about Ft. Thomas schools being the worst funded in the state - at least as it applies to Highlands. I'm personal friends with two teachers at HHS, as well as teachers from Dixie, Beechwood, and Boone County, and dollars to dollars, the Highlands budget, department by department, destroys the budget of the other high schools. You might have a little fact-checking in order on that one.

Words can't describe how I felt this past Friday night with the victory over Cincy St. X.

 

I was Proud for NKY when 4 teams from the area were competing in 4 of the 6 classes for a state football title.

 

I was elated that Holmes won the state basketball title.

Were you elated when Cov Cath boys won the state Track Championship this past spring???? :D:D

 

ZING! :clap:

Is it me or does it seem that it's the same two or three folks starting threads with a hope to disparage or diminish the Highlands football program.

As much as I would like to agree with you....for some that's just not possible. Congrats to Highlands again on their win! :thumb:

 

Maybe I should amend my statement: Everyone in Kentucky SHOULD be proud of the Bluebirds!

 

In my mind, I'm a huge fan of EVERY Kentucky team when they play out of state foes. Makes us all look better when they win...

 

:thumb:

Great post all in all. I would like to point out though, most of the Cov Cath crowd doesn't "hate HHS for their advantages". We're ell aware that no one gave them anything. And I also have to question your remark about Ft. Thomas schools being the worst funded in the state - at least as it applies to Highlands. I'm personal friends with two teachers at HHS, as well as teachers from Dixie, Beechwood, and Boone County, and dollars to dollars, the Highlands budget, department by department, destroys the budget of the other high schools. You might have a little fact-checking in order on that one.

 

I think maybe you should take your own advice as it applies to state funding. That's what the poster was referring to. We're bottom level, we just make up for it out of our own pockets.

I think maybe you should take your own advice as it applies to state funding. That's what the poster was referring to. We're bottom level, we just make up for it out of our own pockets.

 

I'm not correcting, you, just clarifying: so you're saying that HHS's art department budget is 3 times the Beechwood HS art department's budget because of parents' out of pocket donations?

I'm not correcting, you, just clarifying: so you're saying that HHS's art department budget is 3 times the Beechwood HS art department's budget because of parents' out of pocket donations?

 

Don't know, could be because HHS is larger? What is spending per student? I know Beechwood and HHS are traditionally very close in spending per student as they are both in the same boat as it applies to state funding.

Holmes winning the state basketball championship was quite an accomplishment, especially since there are no classes. Highlands cannot do this, since there are classes in football. The closest Highlands came come to matching this accomplishment is winning all of their games (including the state championship). Since Cincinnati St. X beat Louisville St. X and Louisville Trinity, this is as close as any football team can come to matching Holmes accomplishment. Since Highlands is a smaller school than Holmes, it magnifies the accomplishment even more.

As far as pride is concerned, I think it would be naive to think that everyone in N. Ky. had pride in Highlands' victory. If they have any pride in the victory, it is more a matter of a Kentucky vs the rest of the country thing.

Don't know, could be because HHS is larger? What is spending per student? I know Beechwood and HHS are traditionally very close in spending per student as they are both in the same boat as it applies to state funding.

 

I'll have to ask them. I know Beechwood usually hovers with 450-475 students, and Highlands is usually neighborhood of 800, so there's still a pretty major divergence in budget numbers there, but I'll let you know by pm when I find out.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.