Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

NKY Pride in Highlands? Is Ernst Correct?

Featured Replies

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090926/SPT030201/909270386/1082/SPT/Bluebird+pride+surfaces

 

Interesting piece written by Ryan Ernst regarding the pride NKY took in the Birds' victory over X.

 

Is he correct? Does NKY really have pride that HHS beat X? Or is it possible that its "I'm glad NKY won but I sure wish it wasn't Highlands?"

 

From the comments I've heard its more the latter.

 

Thoughts?

  • Replies 179
  • Views 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I definitely think N. Ky. is taking pride in the Highlands win. As to the "but I wish it weren't Highlands" part, I think everyone wishes it were their school and not someone else's. If CovCath beat St. X., there would be many saying "but I wish it weren't CCH". If it were Boone Co. or Ryle or Simon Kenton or Dixie or whoever ... there would be people saying "but I wish it weren't _______ ".

Edited by Voice of Reason

I think everyone in KY is proud of the Bluebirds. :thumb:

  • Author
I definitely think N. Ky. is taking pride in the Highlands win. As to the "but I wish it weren't Highlands" part, I think everyone wishes it were their school and not someone elses. If CovCath beat St. X., there would be many saying "but I wish it weren't CCH". If it were Boone Co. or Ryle or Simon Kenton or Dixie or whoever ... there would be people saying "but I wish it weren't _______ ".

 

I think you vastly underestimate the level of anti-HHS that exists in NKY.

(complete the sentence)

NKY rejoiced more when___________________________.

 

a) Highlands beat St. Xavier in football

 

b) Holmes won the Sweet 16 basketball tourny

 

-CF

  • Author
(complete the sentence)

NKY rejoiced more when___________________________.

 

a) Highlands beat St. Xavier in football

 

b) Holmes won the Sweet 16 basketball tourny

 

-CF

 

I would say B would get more votes.

I think everyone in KY is proud of the Bluebirds. :thumb:

 

:thumb: We are down in Western Kentucky. A lot of people at Mayfield's little leauge games were talking about it. I know some of the high school coaches and players were.

  • Author

For those outside of NKY you should know that there is not one school with more animosity towards them than HHS. I'm not even sure if there is a 2nd place in that category.

 

That's why I posed the question.

(complete the sentence)

NKY rejoiced more when___________________________.

 

a) Highlands beat St. Xavier in football

 

b) Holmes won the Sweet 16 basketball tourny

 

-CF

 

A would be my personal vote. I didn't even know who won the BB championship until last week.

All the Raceland fans I have spoke with love this victory! Congrats to the Birds on a big win for the whole state of Kentucky!

For those outside of NKY you should know that there is not one school with more animosity towards them than HHS. I'm not even sure if there is a 2nd place in that category.

 

That's why I posed the question.

 

Really, 'cause around here, even my priest leads prayers against CovCath. :p

For those outside of NKY you should know that there is not one school with more animosity towards them than HHS. I'm not even sure if there is a 2nd place in that category.

 

That's why I posed the question.

 

I concur with this. I mean there are a lot of schools who have 'haters' but I do not think any come near to the volume that Highlands has. I think it is that you either love or hate Highlands. Other schools have those who love them, those who hate them, but the majority of folks around are in the middle. With Highlands, few are in the middle. It is amazing

I don't know, Clyde. I sure think that any team in Kentucky would like to beat Highlands, but I think the "I'm glad NKY won but I sure wish it wasn't Highlands" sentiment might be somewhat unique to Cov Cath. Anybody else think that's the case?

 

For what it's worth, the Highlands/St. X (Cincinnati) game is one game where I wish there were a way for both teams to lose.

I concur with this. I mean there are a lot of schools who have 'haters' but I do not think any come near to the volume that Highlands has. I think it is that you either love or hate Highlands. Other schools have those who love them, those who hate them, but the majority of folks around are in the middle. With Highlands, few are in the middle. It is amazing

 

It's because the students at HHS are the most athletic, smartest, and best looking in NKY...:clap:

Really, 'cause around here, even my priest leads prayers against CovCath. :p

 

Haha, and in a way, I think you're supporting the statement I just made above.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.