Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

NKY Pride in Highlands? Is Ernst Correct?

Featured Replies

In Edgewood ... hmmm. Did they by chance slap you on the back when they said that and have you checked the back of that shirt? :banana:

 

I still have it on....:p

  • Replies 179
  • Views 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are two schools around here that I feel have fans that exude attitude and arrogance and make the program look bad at times, and I don't really care for either of them, and one of those is Highlands. However; I was thrilled to see them win and I think they earned it and deserve it and at no point did I think "man I wish it had been ___" instead. I think the only team who had a shot was Highlands and I'm glad they got it done. They weren't too hard to root for this time around...

I still have it on....:p

 

:laugh: Good one ... but has anyone kicked you or punched you in the shoulder today?

There are two schools around here that I feel have fans that exude attitude and arrogance and make the program look bad at times, and I don't really care for either of them, and one of those is Highlands. However; I was thrilled to see them win and I think they earned it and deserve it and at no point did I think "man I wish it had been ___" instead. I think the only team who had a shot was Highlands and I'm glad they got it done. They weren't too hard to root for this time around...

 

Well, don't leave us in suspense. The other school? :sssh:

 

Personally, I thought it was kind of cool that Highlands beat one of the big boys, though I would have been just as happy the other direction since I have a good friend whose son plays for St. X. But I can't say I - nor any other non-HHS people I know - take "pride" in Highlands' win. That would seem to me an emotion reserved only for people directly associated with the Highlands' program.

A would be my personal vote. I didn't even know who won the BB championship until last week.

 

Without question, it's B. How can you compare a regular season football game to an "all school" basketball state championship? IMO, apples and oranges. What Holmes accomplished was much more impressive.

Without question, it's B. How can you compare a regular season football game to an "all school" basketball state championship? IMO, apples and oranges. What Holmes accomplished was much more impressive.

 

lol, hmm.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090926/SPT030201/909270386/1082/SPT/Bluebird+pride+surfaces

 

Interesting piece written by Ryan Ernst regarding the pride NKY took in the Birds' victory over X.

 

Is he correct? Does NKY really have pride that HHS beat X? Or is it possible that its "I'm glad NKY won but I sure wish it wasn't Highlands?"

 

From the comments I've heard its more the latter.

 

Thoughts?

 

That's not surprising. When you have the success and get the frequent publicity that we have had, it's easy to be disliked by your rivals and your "neighbors". Admittedly, some of our fans have made us easier to dislike. But if winning more state championships and winning more games like the X game means more dislike for Highlands from our rivals and neighbors, I'll be fine with it. I know folks that hate Highlands but respect the heck out of what we accomplish year in and year out. I'd prefer to be liked and respected, but if I could only have one of the two, I'd rather be respected. I've always got two dogs that will like me. :thumb:

 

Who knows, we just may have picked up a lot of fans in Cinti. The X haters love us and I think even the X fans will be pulling for us to win out. If X is going to be beat by a Ky school, it looks a little better in the rear view mirror if that Ky school goes on to at least win State. :D

Without question, it's B. How can you compare a regular season football game to an "all school" basketball state championship? IMO, apples and oranges. What Holmes accomplished was much more impressive.
Somebody win's state every year. Highlands doesn't beat a school of the caliber of X very often.
A team that wins all the time and gets the attention that goes with it always gets the bigger target due to rivalry or jealousy or overhyping by fans and media. I don't like the Dallas Cowboys. I used to really dislike Notre Dame. I don't like the Lakers. I love UK but wow is there a lot of animosity toward UK basketball in this area. And maybe that is a good analogy. Highlands is the UK of high school football up here. And CovCath is the Louisville. And NewCath is the UC. Beechwood is the Xavier.

 

I think I would switch those two. CovCath is the UC, NewCath is the Louisville.:thumb:

I don't know, Clyde. I sure think that any team in Kentucky would like to beat Highlands, but I think the "I'm glad NKY won but I sure wish it wasn't Highlands" sentiment might be somewhat unique to Cov Cath. Anybody else think that's the case?

 

NO WAY! NewCath is the same way. Trust me.

That's not surprising. When you have the success and get the frequent publicity that we have had, it's easy to be disliked by your rivals and your "neighbors". Admittedly, some of our fans have made us easier to dislike. But if winning more state championships and winning more games like the X game means more dislike for Highlands from our rivals and neighbors, I'll be fine with it. I know folks that hate Highlands but respect the heck out of what we accomplish year in and year out. I'd prefer to be liked and respected, but if I could only have one of the two, I'd rather be respected. I've always got two dogs that will like me. :thumb:

 

Who knows, we just may have picked up a lot of fans in Cinti. The X haters love us and I think even the X fans will be pulling for us to win out. If X is going to be beat by a Ky school, it looks a little better in the rear view mirror if that Ky school goes on to at least win State. :D

 

...I suppose you'll have to count me among these folks, Leatherneck.

...I suppose you'll have to count me among these folks, Leatherneck.

 

Understood and acceptable. :thumb:

...man, I just don't know. I was the best man in an all-Highlands wedding, and I'm the godfather of a future-Bluebird, but I sure like to see Highlands lose. :D

 

Sure, and even though I enjoy football more when CovCath is up to the HHS level, I still like to see them suffer through seasons like 2007 and 2008.

That said, I had friends who had kids on the past two CovCath state championship teams, so I pulled for them then. The good news is that they've all graduated.:D:bunny:

Well, here's my take. It's the old saying, "the enemy of my enemy is my friend". Northern Kentucky has had the Cincinnati snub going on for as long as I can remember and considering our record, we deserve some of it. We are looked down upon and never respected by Ohio. As a CovCath fan, and remember my son played football and baseball, there is not a team I would rather see CovCath beat in football than Highlands. It's good to beat them in anything because of the rivalry, but I'd rather beath Holmes in basketball, Ryle in baseball, and soccer goes back and forth between Ryle and Highlands. Seeing Highlands lose in football somehow makes fans feel better about their team, but........and this is a big but, not that kind of butt , there is not enough hate in my body to root for Ohio over a Kentucky school. I was at the game Friday night and as a CovCath fan, I was disheartened that Highlands is that good. I could only hope that if they played 10 times, St. X would win 9, and Highlands just caught them on a bad night, but this is only because I want my Colonels to be competitive when we play the Bluebirds. But leaving the stadium I had three thoughts going through my head, I was hoping Bardo was not seriously hurt, I was dreading the Bluebird nation having even more ammo to shoot at my Colonels, and I was proud as heck of NKY football and my chest was out a bit.

One last point, rooting for Highlands against St. X was like rooting for the SEC in every bowl game. Somehow it makes me feel better even though it's not my Wildcats beating Ohio State.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.