Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

NKY Pride in Highlands? Is Ernst Correct?

Featured Replies

  • Author
I don't know, Clyde. I sure think that any team in Kentucky would like to beat Highlands, but I think the "I'm glad NKY won but I sure wish it wasn't Highlands" sentiment might be somewhat unique to Cov Cath. Anybody else think that's the case?

 

For what it's worth, the Highlands/St. X (Cincinnati) game is one game where I wish there were a way for both teams to lose.

 

Trust me. The CCH folks may be leading the charge . No question there. That's a given.

 

However, I was suprised by some of the comments I heard this weekend and they were from multiple schools' fans.

  • Replies 179
  • Views 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

 

It's because the students at HHS are the most athletic, smartest, and best looking in NKY...:clap:

 

If that is what you want to believe........:D

 

It's because the students at HHS are the most athletic, smartest, and best looking in NKY...:clap:

 

Best looking? Player_profile_Jared_Lorenzen.jpg

 

:eek::eek::eek:

Haha, and in a way, I think you're supporting the statement I just made above.

 

I did sincerely want CovCath to win state in 2006 after Highlands was eliminated.

 

I do enjoy the rivalry but I can see past it. I have tried to explain this to my high school age son. He does not yet have the perspective to see how that could ever be possible even when he is way old like me.

For those outside of NKY you should know that there is not one school with more animosity towards them than HHS. I'm not even sure if there is a 2nd place in that category.

 

That's why I posed the question.

 

A team that wins all the time and gets the attention that goes with it always gets the bigger target due to rivalry or jealousy or overhyping by fans and media. I don't like the Dallas Cowboys. I used to really dislike Notre Dame. I don't like the Lakers. I love UK but wow is there a lot of animosity toward UK basketball in this area. And maybe that is a good analogy. Highlands is the UK of high school football up here. And CovCath is the Louisville. And NewCath is the UC. Beechwood is the Xavier.

Al Michaels gave it a brief mention on the Sunday Night broadcast.

I did sincerely want CovCath to win state in 2006 after Highlands was eliminated.

 

I do enjoy the rivalry but I can see past it. I have tried to explain this to my high school age son. He does not yet have the perspective to see how that could ever be possible even when he is way old like me.

 

...man, I just don't know. I was the best man in an all-Highlands wedding, and I'm the godfather of a future-Bluebird, but I sure like to see Highlands lose. :D

Based on some HHS fans attitudes along with a long history of success, I can certainly understand the sentiment.

 

I, however, try to rise above the fray and not cultivate that attitude toward HHS whenever possible. I don't judge UK basketball by those fans, however large the % is, on the "lunatic fringe" and hope that others take the same attitude toward HHS (although I realize that that is largely an "aspirational" goal :D)

I don't know, Clyde. I sure think that any team in Kentucky would like to beat Highlands, but I think the "I'm glad NKY won but I sure wish it wasn't Highlands" sentiment might be somewhat unique to Cov Cath. Anybody else think that's the case?

 

For what it's worth, the Highlands/St. X (Cincinnati) game is one game where I wish there were a way for both teams to lose.

 

I watched the game with grads from Dixie, Beechwood and St X. I think the St X grad was the least upset with the Highlands victory. His feeling was if Highlands-St X played 10 times, St X comes out on top 9 of those and this was the one for Highlands. I think the other guys are waiting for their 1 against Highlands!

Yea, Highlands fans are almost like Steeler fans!! :lol::D:lol:

I was wearing a HHS shirt at Edgewood Krogers saturday. I had 5 people come up to me and say congatulations for beating St. X.. I thought it was kind of strange considering I am 40yrs old..I guess it was kind of cool though that people pay that much attention to how big of deal it was to beat X..

I was wearing a HHS shirt at Edgewood Krogers saturday. I had 5 people come up to me and say congatulations for beating St. X.. I thought it was kind of strange considering I am 40yrs old..I guess it was kind of cool though that people pay that much attention to how big of deal it was to beat X..

 

Just one question - How did you get past security????? Someone gonna lose their job over that........:D:laugh::D

A team that wins all the time and gets the attention that goes with it always gets the bigger target due to rivalry or jealousy or overhyping by fans and media. I don't like the Dallas Cowboys. I used to really dislike Notre Dame. I don't like the Lakers. I love UK but wow is there a lot of animosity toward UK basketball in this area. And maybe that is a good analogy. Highlands is the UK of high school football up here. And CovCath is the Louisville. And NewCath is the UC. Beechwood is the Xavier.
I believe you hit the nail on the head with this post. To be honest, I wanted Cincy X to beat Lou. X and Trinity. I wanted the Birds to be the one's upsetting the Bombers.
I was wearing a HHS shirt at Edgewood Krogers saturday. I had 5 people come up to me and say congatulations for beating St. X.. I thought it was kind of strange considering I am 40yrs old..I guess it was kind of cool though that people pay that much attention to how big of deal it was to beat X..

 

In Edgewood ... hmmm. Did they by chance slap you on the back when they said that and have you checked the back of that shirt? :banana:

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.