Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

NKY Pride in Highlands? Is Ernst Correct?

Featured Replies

Holmes winning the state basketball championship was quite an accomplishment, especially since there are no classes. Highlands cannot do this, since there are classes in football. The closest Highlands came come to matching this accomplishment is winning all of their games (including the state championship). Since Cincinnati St. X beat Louisville St. X and Louisville Trinity, this is as close as any football team can come to matching Holmes accomplishment. Since Highlands is a smaller school than Holmes, it magnifies the accomplishment even more.

As far as pride is concerned, I think it would be naive to think that everyone in N. Ky. had pride in Highlands' victory. If they have any pride in the victory, it is more a matter of a Kentucky vs the rest of the country thing.

 

This is way off topic, but only one 9th region team had won the state championship in basketball...ever, before Holmes. There have been at least 5 years where an NKY football team was the best in all of Kentucky, and they all have been recent. This is northern Kentucky's biggest single game win since CovCath-Moeller '92. It may be even bigger.

  • Replies 179
  • Views 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Were you elated when Cov Cath boys won the state Track Championship this past spring???? :D:D

 

UH they were participating against Highlands. Absolutly not.:irked:

I know I live in Ft. Thomas, but assuming you're not a Cov Cath student, alumni or parent, I just don't understand the 'hate Highlands' thing.

 

I look at it like the 'don't hate the messanger' thing. If you're not smaller than HHS, and you get your butt kicked, then here's the message: "work harder, work smarter." It's really that simple. HHS shows everyone what's possible, and I think many people just don't like being shown that what they're currently doing isn't good enough. The day Highlands stops working this hard and this smart, they won't be as successful.

 

No excuses. If you think the Jr. Football League is the big secret, then start your own version, just like someone did 40 years ago in Ft. Thomas. If you think the great community support is the reason, then get your community fired up. There's nothing that Highlands does that everyone else can't.

 

It's sort of like when the Japanese car companies came over here. Their stuff was better, & all the American car guys hated them. Rather than take their example and work harder, the American car companies said 'We can't do what they do. They have an unfair advantage with the Japanese worker.' We all know how that line of thinking worked out for the Big 3.

 

Don't hate HHS for their advantages - they created them by themselves, no one gave them anything. Ft. Thomas Schools is one of the worst funded districts in the state EVERY YEAR. It's almost a crime how little money is returned to them by the state. Most of you have a huge advantage right there (sorry Beechwood, you're in the same boat as us!).

 

Y'all might as well let this argument go. :lol: Ask Trinity & X about how well it works. :lol:

 

I admit a twinge of irritation when HHS won. Considering we didn't fare too well against OH teams, I was kinda hoping for an X win to at least assuage the pain in a "no one could do it" sort of way. :lol: I'm happy HHS won, but considering my team didn't, it did kind sting. :D

What am I saying? I'm saying that the feeling that the majority of NKY is filled with "pride" due to the W is incorrect. Respect? Yes.

 

I think I finally see where you are coming from Clyde. I agree that pride may be a little too strong a term for those outside Ft. Thomas. If it is a question of pride versus respect or enjoyment that HHS won, then I agree it is more about respect and enjoyment that HHS won. I doubt very many N. Ky. fans are crowing with pride to others about the HHS win except those that finally get to stick it to the Ohio crowd. I don't think many outside of Ft. Thomas are looking for a "We Beat X" t-shirt. I think if you posed the question as are you glad HHS won, I think the vast majority would say yes, even those that don't like Highlands and I think you are probably in that group.

I think I finally see where you are coming from Clyde. I agree that pride may be a little too strong a term for those outside Ft. Thomas. If it is a question of pride versus respect or enjoyment that HHS won, then I agree it is more about respect and enjoyment that HHS won. I doubt very many N. Ky. fans are crowing with pride to others about the HHS win except those that finally get to stick it to the Ohio crowd. I don't think many outside of Ft. Thomas are looking for a "We Beat X" t-shirt. I think if you posed the question as are you glad HHS won, I think the vast majority would say yes, even those that don't like Highlands and I think you are probably in that group.

 

Well put. :thumb:

Personally, I have always been perplexed about HHS success. I mean, just take a look at their outstanding accomplishments over the years. Were they this good when Homer Rice was their coach? I know Ft. Bronc says they work harder and smarter than anyone, but I find it hard to believe that everyone out there is not working hard. It just seems like year after year that HHS has great players. I always wonder how so many great players can be born and raised in Ft. Thomas. There must be something in the water over there, what other explanation can you give? It's remarkable.

Personally, I have always been perplexed about HHS success. I mean, just take a look at their outstanding accomplishments over the years. Were they this good when Homer Rice was their coach? I know Ft. Bronc says they work harder and smarter than anyone, but I find it hard to believe that everyone out there is not working hard. It just seems like year after year that HHS has great players. I always wonder how so many great players can be born and raised in Ft. Thomas. There must be something in the water over there, what other explanation can you give? It's remarkable.

 

Well, lets see. The Canadian Geese hang out in the water at the Reservior, and they are birds. Yea that's it. There is something in the water.:D

Personally, I have always been perplexed about HHS success. I mean, just take a look at their outstanding accomplishments over the years. Were they this good when Homer Rice was their coach? I know Ft. Bronc says they work harder and smarter than anyone, but I find it hard to believe that everyone out there is not working hard. It just seems like year after year that HHS has great players. I always wonder how so many great players can be born and raised in Ft. Thomas. There must be something in the water over there, what other explanation can you give? It's remarkable.

 

That has been well discussed on here before in other threads. Search the site for it or maybe someone can link it up so we don't take this thread down a 100 post tangent.

That has been well discussed on here before in other threads. Search the site for it or maybe someone can link it up so we don't take this thread down a 100 post tangent.

 

Was not trying to take this thread down a 100 post tangent. I was not being sarcastic, thought it was a valid inquiry. I just had genuine curiosity.

Was not trying to take this thread down a 100 post tangent. I was not being sarcastic, thought it was a valid inquiry. I just had genuine curiosity.

 

Roman Empire - do a search & you should find all kinds of opinions on the subject. Some of it is good reading, some is nonsense.

 

I will say this about the athletes. I've lived here long enough now to know that not all those kids were born w/ that much speed & quickness. Contrary to what commentators on TV say, you can indeed improve both speed and quickness.

Was not trying to take this thread down a 100 post tangent. I was not being sarcastic, thought it was a valid inquiry. I just had genuine curiosity.

 

I understand. It is a legitimate inquiry. I just know from past discussions how that topic will go. I think if you do the search on here you will find a lot of info that will answer most, if not all, your questions on that topic.

I think I finally see where you are coming from Clyde. I agree that pride may be a little too strong a term for those outside Ft. Thomas. If it is a question of pride versus respect or enjoyment that HHS won, then I agree it is more about respect and enjoyment that HHS won. I doubt very many N. Ky. fans are crowing with pride to others about the HHS win except those that finally get to stick it to the Ohio crowd. I don't think many outside of Ft. Thomas are looking for a "We Beat X" t-shirt. I think if you posed the question as are you glad HHS won, I think the vast majority would say yes, even those that don't like Highlands and I think you are probably in that group.

 

:thumb: Absolutely, that's all he was saying. He wasn't trying to demean the win or bash HHS in general - simply questioning Ernst' sentiment that all of NKY is overwhelmed with "pride" over HHS' accomplishment.

 

Clyde you are way off base on this one. Quite frankly you have taken a great Highlands victory and reduced it to "I sure wish it wasn't Highlands".

 

He said nothing of the sort.

 

Is it me or does it seem that it's the same two or three folks starting threads with a hope to disparage or diminish the Highlands football program.

 

If you've read his (countless) posts, you would know Clyde has complimented HHS' program over and over and over. The thread wasn't intended as any sort of attack on HHS whatsoever. I'm not "proud" about HHS' win. I think it's cool. I think it showed everyone (especially the Ohio boys) that HHS is the real deal and there's some solid football over here. But I am not the slightest bit "proud" about the win. So am I an HHS-basher also?

I think it is kinda like I said in an earlier post, with Highlands, and probably Cov Cath, you are either a 'lover' or a 'hater' and nothing exists in between!

I'll have to ask them. I know Beechwood usually hovers with 450-475 students, and Highlands is usually neighborhood of 800, so there's still a pretty major divergence in budget numbers there, but I'll let you know by pm when I find out.

 

 

You can view the data on funding here:

 

http://www.education.ky.gov/kde/administrative+resources/finance+and+funding/school+finance/seek+and+tax+rates/seek.htm

I love to root against Highlands in football and Holmes in basketball until Cov. Cath. is eliminated from state competition. When the Colonels' season is over I have no problem supporting the team from Wallace Woods or the team from Ft. Thomas. As far as a northern Kentucky team versus a GCL team, that one isn't even close for me. I support Kentucky sports first and foremost. Highlands' victory over St. X would make a Colonels victory on October 17 against the dreaded Birds all the more impressive. Ryan's assessment was, at least in my circle of the Park Hills mafia, correct. Congratulations to our friends in Ft. Thomas. Here's to the St. X win being the highlight of your 2009 season.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.