Is Northern Kentucky University going NCAA Div 1?

crazy8s

Heard from a season ticket holder that it is a done deal and that they are going D1- can anyone confirm this and does this apply to both the men and women's bball teams, year, etc. I am also curious as to what conference they are looking to join.

It's my understanding that the NCAA is in the middle of something like a four-year moratorium on schools moving up Division I. Given the probationary period that accompanies a move up, if Northern decides to move up, it would take them close to a decade to get full-fledged Division I status.

It's my understanding that the NCAA is in the middle of something like a four-year moratorium on schools moving up Division I. Given the probationary period that accompanies a move up, if Northern decides to move up, it would take them close to a decade to get full-fledged Division I status.

Correct, the earliest year for this to be possible is 2011.

Interesting observation. Who were the final candidates?

I can't remember. There was a list in the Enquirer but none of the names jumped out at me.

Also, people must remember that its extremely expensive for a school to go D1 between increased costs for scholarships as well as needed upgrades to facilities.

I can't remember. There was a list in the Enquirer but none of the names jumped out at me.

Also, people must remember that its extremely expensive for a school to go D1 between increased costs for scholarships as well as needed upgrades to facilities.

I believe that part of the reason this rumor has resurfaced is because of the upgrade in facilities. At least the game day facilities.

I believe that part of the reason this rumor has resurfaced is because of the upgrade in facilities. At least the game day facilities.

It doesn't do much good to have D1 facilities if you can't control the schedule of the arena. NKU has little say in how the arena is scheduled as evidenced by them going to Regents Hall for Sr Day last season.

That's what they initially put out. However, I don't think that ended up being a requirement.

Does the new AD have D1 AD experience?

He was the Assistant Atheltic Director under Ms. Jane Meier.

I don't think they will be moving D-1 anytime soon and I sort of think they should stay dominate at D-2. But, what do I know lol.