3A #4 Belfry vs. 2A #8 Prestonsburg Predictions

JoeFan

This is not your father's Pirates. Belfry is not the same Belfry teams of recent years IMO. Besides that Belfry always starts the season out slow, but get in to top shape come playoffs. I can see P'burg coming out on top, but I'll still take Haywood out coaching Derosset any day of the week.

Pirates: 28

Blackcats: 14

Alright, here's my take on it. Everyone is correct that Belfry always starts out a little slow. Also, both teams have only one scrimmage due to playing on week zero. - Slight advantage to Prestonsburg, which usually starts out more prepared.

Size is Belfry's advantage up front, but not necessarily in the backfield. Both teams are a little smaller than usual in the backfield. - Slight advantage to Belfry.

Speed should be an advantage to Prestonsburg, both up front and at the skill positions.

Depth - Advantage Belfry. Much greater numbers. Not sure how many are ready to play, but they fill up the sidelines, while P-burg has about 30 out.

Offense - draw. Both teams have some new wrinkles, judging by the scrimmages. Belfry will either have Varney playing a little out of position at QB or they will start a sophomore at that spot. Varney is a very good runner at either QB or HB and gives Belfry an edge in the backfield. Belfry's line is much bigger but not as quick as the P-burg defenders. Will they get tired or wear the P-burg defense down as the game goes on. Advantage P-burg at the receiver spots. Craynon, Blackburn and Jamerson are all credible threats. Look for 1st year senior, Tyler Hall to contribute as well. Prestonsburg gets the upper hand passing, Belfry running.

Defense - Advantage Prestonsburg. Strength punishes, speed kills, Prestonsburg has a ton of speed on defense. Mckinney is a tackling machine and there is experience in the secondary. Belfry's defense should be strong and won't be caught out of position much, but it will still be difficult for them to match up with a spread offense out of a 5-2 defense.

Special teams - Wild card. Neither team has worked special teams in a live situation.

Conclusion - another classic. Prestonsburg has home field advantage. They have only lost, a think, 3 home games since Josh Francis stadium opened in 2001.

Belfry 27

Prestonsburg 31

Nice breakdown, Back In Black.

The Pirates are young and I expect this to be a good one. I could definitely see this being one of those classic battles. Only difference is it comes at the beginning of the year, when mistakes can really be magnified, instead of at the end of the schedule or in the playoffs like some of those more memorable games of recent past.

I can't wait.

I will be in attendance tonight. Looking forward to seeing if all new (for the most part) Pirates can step up and play at a high level. The consensus seems to be that Belfry will be down relatively speaking. They are certainly expected to be small.

A "down" Belfry team should be on equal footing with this Prestonsburg team. Talent being equal, I'll take Coach Haywood to make the difference.

Belfry - 27

Prestonsburg - 21