Tom Potter Classic

jbwill2

What exactly is the Tom Potter Classic? I know it involves preseason NKY football scrimmages.

As I understand it, it's a series of scrimmages organized by the NKY Football Coaches Association - named for one of the former board members there. It's not really an "event" as much as it is an effort to get different teams scrimmaging each other rather than the same scrimmages happening year after year.

For some reason, I thought our scrimmage with Male was going to be in Louisville this year. But the paper says it's part of the Tom Potter Classic, and will be at home.

Paper is right. We scrimmaged down there last year. This year they come up here.

Mr. Potter was the man behind the scenes at NewCath for well over 20 years. Mr. Potter managed inventory and purchasing for the athletic program. He organized EVERYTHING that had to do with equipment for football games. He was a hard person to get to know, but a wonderful man. As introverted as he was around a lot of players and parents, he gave tremenously of his time to the Northern Kentucky athletic community. Mr. Potter organized the first NKY combines to allow athletes to gain more exposure. He organized the "Tootsie Roll" drive which was a charitable donations drive to help programs that assist the handicapped and mentally handicapped. The thing that he organized for the NewCath athletes and students that really made the largest impression with me, and I enjoyed the most, was getting almost every athlete and a large number of students signed up to volunteer for the winter and spring Special Olympics. He did all this while in a constant state of poor health. I don't know how much he got paid, or if he ever did, but it wasn't enough. I remember going into to talk him after my senior year got over. He looked up with his customary, "What is it now, Kyle?" I asked him if I could get some game films so that I could get them edited for a recruiting tape. He told me that I couldn't. I was mad, to say the least. Anyway, about a week or two later, I was in the weight room and he came in to tell me that my tape was done. He had edited the game films himself. I will always appreciate that.

Mr. Potter was the man behind the scenes at NewCath for well over 20 years. Mr. Potter managed inventory and purchasing for the athletic program. He organized EVERYTHING that had to do with equipment for football games. He was a hard person to get to know, but a wonderful man. As introverted as he was around a lot of players and parents, he gave tremenously of his time to the Northern Kentucky athletic community. Mr. Potter organized the first NKY combines to allow athletes to gain more exposure. He organized the "Tootsie Roll" drive which was a charitable donations drive to help programs that assist the handicapped and mentally handicapped. The thing that he organized for the NewCath athletes and students that really made the largest impression with me, and I enjoyed the most, was getting almost every athlete and a large number of students signed up to volunteer for the winter and spring Special Olympics. He did all this while in a constant state of poor health. I don't know how much he got paid, or if he ever did, but it wasn't enough. I remember going into to talk him after my senior year got over. He looked up with his customary, "What is it now, Kyle?" I asked him if I could get some game films so that I could get them edited for a recruiting tape. He told me that I couldn't. I was mad, to say the least. Anyway, about a week or two later, I was in the weight room and he came in to tell me that my tape was done. He had edited the game films himself. I will always appreciate that.

I grew up behind Coach Potter on Lumley in Ft Thomas. He lived on Miller....He was a really nice guy and treated us with the same respect he would of one of his own children. Even though the 4 of us went on to play football at Highlands he remained a very generous neighbor. I see Tom's memorial every once in a while when I visit my father's gravesite. He is buried close by. He was a great guy to say the least.....