Luke Maile 9th Region POY

Well I believe of the 3 or 4 Catchers they took at least one was a SS. If my hometown team took me, the team I've dreamt of playing for forever. I might have to think about my decision to attend college.

The Reds could use the hometown advantage more than any other team that is going to select him.

While it always is the dream of very little boy to play for his home town team, or for that matter their favorite team, playing baseball is in reality a business. Sure it would be great to play at home and all, but the reality is would it be the best fit for both Luke and for the Reds?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I believe of the 3 or 4 Catchers they took at least one was a SS. If my hometown team took me, the team I've dreamt of playing for forever. I might have to think about my decision to attend college.

The Reds could use the hometown advantage more than any other team that is going to select him.

Hopefully Maile would recognize - much the same as Farris before him last year - that getting drafted this late is a sign that he should move forward with his college scholarship. I don't think it really matters much who drafts him at this point, he will (or at least should) be a Wildcat next year.

All Im saying is the Reds have drafted 5catchers in the past 2 days. Im not sure but that seems like a lot. I think of the 5, two were High School players who don't intend at all to go pro. If your going to waste 5 draft choices on catchers, why not give the best one in your area a shot.

My guess is that Luke was not quite good enough to be drafted "high" and too good for a team to waste a pick before very late due to him having the UK scholarship.

Having a scholarship from another school means nothing when getting drafted unless the player has publicly announced that he will be planning on attending the school. Ben Revere had signed scholarship papers for Georgia a couple years ago but still ended up going to the Minors. Scholarships mean nothing in this case....

Having a scholarship from another school means nothing when getting drafted unless the player has publicly announced that he will be planning on attending the school. Ben Revere had signed scholarship papers for Georgia a couple years ago but still ended up going to the Minors. Scholarships mean nothing in this case....

The scholarship would mean nothing to Luke if he, like Revere, was a first round pick. That was my point. Now though that he is not a high pick (read: good signing bonus) teams know that he will not sign for $10,000 so he's going to UK for 3 years. Therefore, they're not going to draft him until maybe the 45th round at which point its much less of a wasted pick.

The scholarship would mean nothing to Luke if he, like Revere, was a first round pick. That was my point. Now though that he is not a high pick (read: good signing bonus) teams know that he will not sign for $10,000 so he's going to UK for 3 years. Therefore, they're not going to draft him until maybe the 45th round at which point its much less of a wasted pick.

Absolutely agree. HUGE difference between being drafted high or being a low round draft pick when you're sitting on a scholarship. Go get your free education and get drafted again, next time hopefully much earlier when you can make some serious signing money and also stand a better chance within whatever organization you were picked.

You can't make that blanket statement. I guarantee you that if the money was right he would not be matriculating to Lexington.

Perhaps. I haven't spoken to him specifically about it in a long, long time, but he seemed pretty set on going to school before going pro.

You can't make that blanket statement. I guarantee you that if the money was right he would not be matriculating to Lexington.

The above statement is correct! If the "money" were there he would have gone pro, but because it wasn't, he goes to UK. It's a win, win for him and his family.

I was told he was projected to go between round 5-10 and no later than 15. Was it because he already has a scholarship? If so I don't think that would hurt his chances because there are numerous high school players who have honored a college scholarship but were still drafted high. Just goes to show you how much more likely you are to get drafted if your from California, Florida, Texas, etc.

Absolutely agree. HUGE difference between being drafted high or being a low round draft pick when you're sitting on a scholarship. Go get your free education and get drafted again, next time hopefully much earlier when you can make some serious signing money and also stand a better chance within whatever organization you were picked.

Cooperstown is right on target! The good news for the Maile's is Luke was in the drivers seat thru this whole process. Its was a win win either way for him. He played relaxed all year and didn't let the media get to him. I'm sure his parents had allot to do with this as well. He handled it very well. Best of Luck to him.