Covington Catholic 10 Beechwood 0

Wow what an incredible day for the CovCath seniors in their last game played at CovCath, by beating their 35th District rival Beechwood in the Championship game on a walk off Grand Slam HR by Maile to win the game 10-0 in five innings.

The good: Isler and Maile.

Neil Martin goes 3/3 today.

The CovCath "D' turned a 6-3 DP today and didn't commit an error.

Maile besides hitting the 3 HR's made a outstanding catch of a foul ball in the third to end the inning with a man on 1st.

The bad and ugly: Nothing today at all.

The CovCath hitting:

Nutini 4 PA 2 runs 2 walks 2 hbp and 1 sb

Siemer 4 PA 2 runs 1 sac 1 hbp and 1 fc

Maile 4 PA 3 runs 3 hits 3 HR's (#9, #10 & #11) and 8 rbi's

Darner 3 PA 1 hit double

Isler 3 PA 2 walks and 1 fc

Holocher 3 PA 1 hit and 1 sac

Lafever 3 PA 1 run and 1 fc

Stayton 3 PA 1 walk and 1 fc

Martin 3 PA 1 run 3 hits and 1 rbi

CovCath pitching

Isler (11-0)

78 pitches 5 complete innings 17 PA 2 hits 0 runs 0 earned runs 1 walk 3 k's

CovCath wins the 35th District Championship and now must wait for the drawing to see whom they play on Monday Memorial Day May 25th at Champion Window Field.

Not to be picky but the 2nd basemen committed an error hit up the middle and skipped off his glove into the outfit.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to CovCath on blistering Beechwood. It will take a lot of things to go wrong for CC and an equal amount of things to go right for their opponent over one 7-inning contest to keep the Blue Colonels from wearing the crown next week. But, stranger things have happened.

Two things that I forgot to mention in my posts:

CovCath is now 31-3-1

CovCath did not give up a single earned or unearned run in the 35th District Tournament, with both Nutini and Isler going the route for CovCath in each outing.

CovCath 10 Beechwood 0 (5 innings)

Luke Maile IMO clinches the POY and maybe even Mr. Baseball by having an incredible day in his final appearance at CovCath.

Luke first HR came in the third inning and went over the 320 mark but it would have cleared at least 380 for his (#9) with no one on.

Luke second HR of the day came in the fourth and went over the 365 mark but would have easily clear 400 with two men on for his (#10) of the season and tied a CovCath career HR record of (#27).

Luke third HR of the day was just a rocket near the 380 mark but this ball was still raising when it went over at that point and it was half way up the trees with the bases loaded for his (#11) of the season and his (#28) of his career to break a record held by Tim Grogan from 1999-2002.

Luke went went 3-4 today with 3 HR's and 8 rbi's in his final appearance playing on the his home field at CovCath. BTW the grand slam HR closed out Beechwood so indeed it was a walk off HR.

More after I eat.

While I spoke a lot about Maile in the post above, you can't overlook what Isler did today in holding Beechwood to just 2 hits and 0 runs in winning his (11) game of the season. Ice was just about perfect as he only walked 1 batter while striking out 3 and faced only seventeen batters, just two over the minimum.

What a day both of these seniors had.

Extremely impressive!

Nope and that I am positive about!

You're wrong. The hit by smith to siemer was indeed an error and I'm fairly certain cch book had it that way as did krumps based on his reaction. Siemer is an excellent second baseman but that hit off his glove.

You're wrong. The hit by smith to siemer was indeed an error and I'm fairly certain cch book had it that way as did krumps based on his reaction. Siemer is an excellent second baseman but that hit off his glove.

In baseball statistics, an error is the act, in the judgment of the official scorer, of a fielder misplaying a ball in a manner that allows a batter or baserunner to reach one or more additional bases, when such an advance should have been prevented given ordinary effort by the fielder.

Great game by Maile. IMO he will be POY and has a great shot at Mr. Baseball. Isler had a great year as well, along with Darner but although Isler was 11-0, they also had other pitchers undefeated and Maile was clearly the focus of this team and he continued to come up big in the BIG games. Remember the home run in their last at bat against the kid throwing 90's to tie the game in one of their tournaments. Big time PLAYER.

If you are going based on this years stats, I do not know how Isler could not be voted on as player of the year. When CCH needed a win or played a ranked opponent it was typically Isler who was on the mound. If you take him away from this team, they lose ALOT. Although CCH has some good pitchers, none of them are the dominate type that will shut down a good team. Also, don't forget Isler hasn't been too shabby with the bat himself.

If you are going based on this years stats, I do not know how Isler could not be voted on as player of the year. When CCH needed a win or played a ranked opponent it was typically Isler who was on the mound. If you take him away from this team, they lose ALOT. Although CCH has some good pitchers, none of them are the dominate type that will shut down a good team. Also, don't forget Isler hasn't been too shabby with the bat himself.

I posted Isler's stats in another thread and they are ridiculous... The POY goes to the best all around player for this year, not a whole high school career, and Isler is either at the top or near the top in every pitching and hitting category. Maile has been great his whole career and very good this year, but this year Isler has meant more to CovCath than Maile.

I have time and time again said Tri Players of the year, but Ryan Ernst of the NKy.com has told me that they (he) will not vote for a Tri POY of the year.

Really a shame as each player Darner, Isler and Maile depend on each other so much, for the benefit of each other and their team. While each would be a great player no matter who they play for, playing together as a team, makes each even better.