Wisdom Teeth

halfback20

I think I am going to have to get my wisdom teeth removed. I have been putting it off, thinking I might not but one has grown in and it is not straight. It's not really pushing my other teeth (or I can't tell if it is) but it's not straight. It doesn't prevent me from opening or closing my mouth all the way though.

Regardless, I'm afraid the others might grow in and hurt my other teeth so I think as soon as I can I am going to try and get them removed.

My question is, how bad is it? Is it any worse if one or two are fully or partially grown in?

Also, how common is dry socket? I've heard horror stories and that scares me the most.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many are there, and how many are impacted?

I only had one and it wasn't impacted, so it was clearly no problem for me.

Well the one on my top left is grown in pretty much all the way. It doesn't hurt, but it is not straight. It kind of points towards my cheek and down, but it doesnt hurt my cheek or teeth.

The one on the top right is partially grown in and is growing in a similar direction.

My bottom ones are not growing in yet as far as I can tell.

I will say this. I have had some pain in my upper left teeth the last few days, but I'm not sure if it is caused by the wisdom tooth or if it is another sinus infection. I had a sinus infection last year causing an upper right tooth to hurt severely.

The reason I think it might be a sinus infection is because I was feeling a lot of pressure and had a bad head ache last night that went away after taking some sudafed.

I have a doctors appointment scheduled today to see if I can find out whether or not it is sinuses causing the pain. If it is not, I'm going to assume it's the wisdom tooth.

I had mine taken out about three years ago. Only one was slightly bothering me but decided to have them all taken out at once while i was under. Mine were pulled out and not cut out. No problem with dry socket here. I was in a little pain the first day but by day 2 i was eating pizza and actually went to a Reds game.

Take an OTC sinus med. If the symptoms go away, it's not your wisdom teeth. You can diagnose it yourself.

Last night I took ibuprofen and a generic form of sudafed, and my headache cleared up and the tooth stopped hurting. I felt fine for a few hours and then around 4-5 hours after it started again. I took some sudafed this morning again and some tylenol extra strength, and I felt fine (tooth, headache wise...I did feel a little sick to the stomach) from about 8:00-11:00 and now I can feel the headache and toothache starting to come back.

I had four wisdom teeth removed (two impacted) when I was in the army. Afterwards I had to go right back to class and participate in PT. I felt like I might die. BUT, given today's pain killers and the ability to rest up for a day you will be fine!

When I have a bad sinus infection, my teeth always kill me. I've never had a toothache per se, but my teeth sure ache because of my sinuses!

I had my wisdom teeth removed when I was 22. Both top ones were very impacted and the recovery was rough. My face swelled like a basketball and I had deep facial bruising down both cheeks. I also had some crazy complication that caused my sinus cavity to be open into my mouth. I made this whistling sound and every so often, this nasty infection junk would drip into my mouth.:puke: It was about 2 weeks before I looked and felt normal. I hope it is just a sinus infection for you.

Sinusitis can affect the posterior 3 teeth (typically not the wisdom tooth however, because it usually sits behind the sinus). The roots actually sit in the floor of the sinus. Inflammation of the sinus can bodily push those teeth down into the bite to the point that it feels like the teeth are "too long" and the first to hit, which in turn makes them hurt more. And the sinus doesn't swell like a balloon, it swells in waves because it's lined with epithelium (the same lining that is in your nose) and that makes it difficult to pinpoint which tooth hurts because for instance, in the morning the back tooth hurts, in the afternoon perhaps the one in front of that hurts. Typically sinusitis presents as fluctuant and difficult to pinpoint the pain.

If you took OTC sinus meds and the symptoms went away, I'm 95% sure you have sinusitis. However, that doesn't mean you don't have wisdom tooth issues also.

Just a tip, don't go to see an oral surgeon for the problem. Think about it. What do oral surgeons do? They will no doubt suggest you have the wisdom teeth removed. I'm not saying that's a good thing or bad thing. Just sayin'

I'm thinking it's sinuses too spindoc, but I also think I'll need my wisdom teeth removed. :lol:

I'm going to a doctor later, not an oral surgeon or a dentist.

Good luck. :thumb:

Make the trip here and I'll square you away. Wear black and gold and you may receive a discount!:sssh:

Good luck. :thumb:

Make the trip here and I'll square you away. Wear black and gold and you may receive a discount!:sssh:

What kind of doctor are you? (Is that a stupid question?)

Where are you? :lol:

Is it possible for it to be a sinus infection even if I don't have drainage? I read that most people with a sinus infection have drainage from their nose, but I don't. I have a toothache that comes and goes, but it isn't the wisdom tooth that hurts. I can't really tell which exact tooth it is, but it is definitely in the back. It feels similar to the last time (which the doctor told me was probably a sinus infection...and antibiotics fixed) only it isn't as bad yet, and it's on the opposite side.

I also have a headache that comes and goes as well. Sometimes ibuprofen or tylenol extra strenght helps, but sometimes it doesn't. I know that when I took the sudafed, shortly after I felt much better.

BTW, right now I feel fine. I have a little bit of a head ache and my upper tooth area on the left side is aching a little, but not bad. And like I said before, I took the sudafed and some tylenol extra strength this morning before going to work.