Swine flu and the border

Is there a bigger nutbag in Congress than the lady from Minnesota? You remember her? Obama is going to put children in "re-education camps?" She is now trying to link swine flu to Democratic presidents. She said that the last time the swine flu broke out was when Jimmy Carter was POTUS and now this. Interesting - in her mind only.

However, since it was 1976 the POTUS was one Mr. G Ford.

Nut job - 100% certified.

And don't forget, the deadliest outbreak of Influenza was when Woodrow Wilson was in office in 1919. :lol:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious. Since some here believe the option of closing down travel with infected countries or persons is necessary and closing the borders is a viable option - I ask this question.

Suppose you and your family were on a vacation right now or at the very onset of this. Your child contracts Swine flu. You desperately want to get back home and to medical care you trust but I'm sorry the borders are closed to you. You are infected and we can't risk it.

"But I'm a US citizen," we might argue but the response would have to be for the sake of all involved you must stay put. Sorry about your family but we must seal the borders.

I just sometimes wonder if we personalize things if it changes our perspective any at all.

BTW, all I could think of in this thread was the movie 12 Monkeys.

Is there a bigger nutbag in Congress than the lady from Minnesota? You remember her? Obama is going to put children in "re-education camps?" She is now trying to link swine flu to Democratic presidents. She said that the last time the swine flu broke out was when Jimmy Carter was POTUS and now this. Interesting - in her mind only.

However, since it was 1976 the POTUS was one Mr. G Ford.

Nut job - 100% certified.

:lol: She's also convinced FDR was responsible for the Smoot-Hawley Tariff Act. I don't know how she manages to breathe.

I'm curious. Since some here believe the option of closing down travel with infected countries or persons is necessary and closing the borders is a viable option - I ask this question.

Suppose you and your family were on a vacation right now or at the very onset of this. Your child contracts Swine flu. You desperately want to get back home and to medical care you trust but I'm sorry the borders are closed to you. You are infected and we can't risk it.

"But I'm a US citizen," we might argue but the response would have to be for the sake of all involved you must stay put. Sorry about your family but we must seal the borders.

I just sometimes wonder if we personalize things if it changes our perspective any at all.

BTW, all I could think of in this thread was the movie 12 Monkeys.

Isn't a simple solution to your scenario be that American citizens with the flu wanting to return after the borders (including plane travel) have been sealed could be allowed to return but kept in quarantine?

As always, Dr. Paul straightens the issue out:

Dr. Paul:

It makes me think back to 1976, the first year I served in the Congress. We had a vote on the swine flu. Back then, there was a panaic and they said it was going to sweep the nation, and they rapidly came up with some flu shots, and the government was going to inoculate everybody and save the world from this disaster. THere were two votes against it, myself and Larry McDonald, another physician.

It turned out, though, that our instincts were correct, not only did we object to it because we didn't think that the government should be in the medical business, and making these medical decisions, but it turned out that these instincts were absolutely right because the flu came and the flu went and one person died. Except for those individuals who died from getting the flu vaccine, and over 25 people died just from getting the vaccine and many got ill from it, until finally they had to suspend the whole program.

Let me preface what I'm about to say by first saying that I don't think we're to the point that we need to close the border. At least not yet.

That said, I thought that the logic of Obama response to a question about closing the border was questionable at best. Essentially, he said that closing the border would do no good since we already have cases of swine flu in this country. The horse was out of the barn. I do not understand his logic. Can someone explain to me why preventing additional people with swine flu from entering this country depends in any way upon people already having entered this country with swine flu. Isn't there a difference between 100 people with the disease entering the country and 100,000 people with the disease entering the country? I know that Obama didn't rule out closing the border in the future but saying the horse is already out of the barn makes absolutely no sense to me. It would only make sense to me if the worst possible damage that could have be done has already been done. Are we at that point right now? I don't believe we are. Do you?

Even one of my partners, who is liberal and a big Obama supporter got a chuckle out of Obama's rational and thought it defied logic. In his words: "when there are still a bunch of horses still in the barn, you don't fail to close the barn door just because some have already got out".

As always, Dr. Paul straightens the issue out:

Dr. Paul:

It makes me think back to 1976, the first year I served in the Congress. We had a vote on the swine flu. Back then, there was a panaic and they said it was going to sweep the nation, and they rapidly came up with some flu shots, and the government was going to inoculate everybody and save the world from this disaster. THere were two votes against it, myself and Larry McDonald, another physician.

It turned out, though, that our instincts were correct, not only did we object to it because we didn't think that the government should be in the medical business, and making these medical decisions, but it turned out that these instincts were absolutely right because the flu came and the flu went and one person died. Except for those individuals who died from getting the flu vaccine, and over 25 people died just from getting the vaccine and many got ill from it, until finally they had to suspend the whole program.

When in doubt just ask yourself "WWRPD"?

Isn't a simple solution to your scenario be that American citizens with the flu wanting to return after the borders (including plane travel) have been sealed could be allowed to return but kept in quarantine?

Hard to quarantine on a commercial airliner.

Hard to quarantine on a commercial airliner.

I'm no physician, but I'd think that someone with the flu could be fitted with a special mask or some type of device that would prevent others on the plane from becoming infected.

And there is always a private plane if the health situation deteriorated so badly.

Heck, take a bus, private transportation or a taxi to the border and then get placed in quarantine if that's what it takes to seek the medical treatment a U.S. citizen wanted/needed.