Swine flu and the border

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you serious? Most of the kids at the NYC school had been on vacation with their parents in Mexico. If you've got enough money to vacation in Mexico, I don't think sealing the border is going to help.

Yep...let's seal the borders, and then that'll stop it. :rolleyes: People with the money and means to vacation in Mexico aren't the risk. :rolleyes:

Seriously? All this crap these days makes me feel like I'm living in some dark parody of Chicken Little.

Of course, it has to be the rich people's fault.

I think Rockmom's point is that it is not being spread by illegal immigrants, but by vacationers. Thus, increased border patrol/border shutdown wouldn't solve the problem unless you ban all travel TO and FROM Mexico, and perhaps some other countries.

THANK YOU! You actually took the time to read my post! :clap:

I think Rockmom's point is that it is not being spread by illegal immigrants, but by vacationers. Thus, increased border patrol/border shutdown wouldn't solve the problem unless you ban all travel TO and FROM Mexico, and perhaps some other countries.

In California and Texas you really can't say that it is or is not helped along by illegals. My guess is that it's a combination of legal, illegals and vacationers in those states. There's really not that many cases yet to say either way.

Are you serious? Most of the kids at the NYC school had been on vacation with their parents in Mexico. If you've got enough money to vacation in Mexico, I don't think sealing the border is going to help.

Yep...let's seal the borders, and then that'll stop it. :rolleyes: People with the money and means to vacation in Mexico aren't the risk. :rolleyes:

Seriously? All this crap these days makes me feel like I'm living in some dark parody of Chicken Little.

THANK YOU! You actually took the time to read my post! :clap:

I read your post.

Is there a bigger nutbag in Congress than the lady from Minnesota? You remember her? Obama is going to put children in "re-education camps?" She is now trying to link swine flu to Democratic presidents. She said that the last time the swine flu broke out was when Jimmy Carter was POTUS and now this. Interesting - in her mind only.

However, since it was 1976 the POTUS was one Mr. G Ford.

Nut job - 100% certified.

Is there a bigger nutbag in Congress than the lady from Minnesota? You remember her? Obama is going to put children in "re-education camps?" She is now trying to link swine flu to Democratic presidents. She said that the last time the swine flu broke out was when Jimmy Carter was POTUS and now this. Interesting - in her mind only.

However, since it was 1976 the POTUS was one Mr. G Ford.

Nut job - 100% certified.

Minnesota, you've gotta love that state! This lady and Al Franken, Jesse, etc. :eek::eek:

I read your post.

You read it and chose to deliberately misinterpret the post. That's infuriating. Simply infuriating. I deliberately used smilies to indicate sarcasm. And I'm not sure how you can argue with the fact that vacationers have more money than illegals, and that sealing the borders would have no affect on those with the means to travel to and from Mexico.

Find someone elses post to misinterpret.

In California and Texas you really can't say that it is or is not helped along by illegals. My guess is that it's a combination of legal, illegals and vacationers in those states. There's really not that many cases yet to say either way.

Good point. However ,the majority of the cases don't seem to be from boarder states.

Let me preface what I'm about to say by first saying that I don't think we're to the point that we need to close the border. At least not yet.

That said, I thought that the logic of Obama response to a question about closing the border was questionable at best. Essentially, he said that closing the border would do no good since we already have cases of swine flu in this country. The horse was out of the barn. I do not understand his logic. Can someone explain to me why preventing additional people with swine flu from entering this country depends in any way upon people already having entered this country with swine flu. Isn't there a difference between 100 people with the disease entering the country and 100,000 people with the disease entering the country? I know that Obama didn't rule out closing the border in the future but saying the horse is already out of the barn makes absolutely no sense to me. It would only make sense to me if the worst possible damage that could have be done has already been done. Are we at that point right now? I don't believe we are. Do you?

The only way to prevent more cases from coming into the United States would be to completely lock down ALL travel to ALL infected countries. As RM pointed out, this isn't caused by people crossing the border on land, it's from people with the means to vacation in Mexico. From Rockmom's post I never got the impression that she was trying to say rich people are the cause. She was just stating a fact. But for some on here it seems a famous Homer Simpson quote rings true:

"Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!" - Homer Simpson

Since this is overblown anyways and shutting the border down would do nothing, it seems like a very silly step to me.