Your pre season top 5

buzzer beater

Guys, as you may or may not have read, CatsCatsCats and myself have been working on a pre-season College Football Preview. We got the OK from the Guru and should have everything together and organized no later than Wednesday. We will be doing a Top 25 to start with, and will release it over 5 installments: 25-21, 20-16,15-11, 10-6, 5-1. Then we will be putting together a list of who we think wins the 6 major BCS conferences, who gets the ten slots in the BCS games and who wins those games. We will also be putting together our own All-America Team and our top 10 Heisman Candidates.

Triple Cats and I are huge College Football junkies, we spent a day driving to South Bend Indiana from Cincinnati-a testament to our love for college football in itself if you've ever made that drive-to see the College Football Hall of Fame, Notre Dame's Campus including the Golden Dome and Touchdown Jesus. We drove from Cincinnati to watch the Miami/Florida game in September, made the 16 hour drive to Jacksonville to watch the World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party in November, the 22 hour drive to Miami to watch Miami and Florida State and then again we drove to Miami to watch the National Championship game. If you did not already know, Cats is a huge Miami football fan and I am a huge Florida fan-hence my name BigSpikes-we decided to avoid personal bias and Cats covered the SEC and Pac-10, my two favorite conferences and I did the ACC and Big 12, his two favorite conferences. So when reading these, just know that they were all done from a non-bias point of view and it has taken us almost three weeks of thorough researching and fact checking to put this together. If it goes over well on this site, we plan of starting our own blog on everything Sports. So hopefully you all read it and receive it well.

Thanks

BigSpikes

I am glad to see this post and am glad that you are working on it. I look foward to reading your opinion. Other opinions and mine may differ and that is o.k. to. I am a big Ohio State football fan along with U.K./SEC fan. I feel that I can be objective as well when talking about the different teams/conferences. I can respect other opinions than mine and really like to read them.

When one gets right down to it, any rankings are just opinions. No matter how many stats are looked at put in a computer, how many games someone watches, tapes, analyzes or whatever the opinions are based on they are imo still just someones opinion.

I am glad that the games are played on the filed and not on a computer (well, for the most part anyway:idunno::D). I am not going to get into another :deadhorse: thread on a playoff system. I believe that everyone would like to see one to some extent. I personally think that the best that we can hope for and will eventually get is a plus one type game.

The Bottom Line is........I can't wait for College Football!! :banana::banana::banana:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please. Not many teams can complete a run like they have had over the past 4-5 years. Sure the blowout loss to UF looks horrible, the LSU loss, but they almost took down a Texas team who happened to beat Oklahoma a year ago, the only team to do so in the regular season. Surely enough if OSU had been to 5 straight title games and won 3 of them, the other 2 losses would result in them being overrated. I bet if they were in the SEC and they lost those title games and the one a year ago they wouldn't be close to overrated. :rolleyes:

:thumb: I believe that a record of (62-14) in the last 6 years along with 6 straight bowl appearances, 4 BCS bowls, 4 10 or 10+ win seasons, 3 conference championships, 3 National title games and one National Championship speaks for itself. That is what has been accomplished under Jim Tressel and added to an already storied football tradition. Should someone want to call that overrated then I will take overrated from here on out :p, that is laughable,:rolleyes::lol:

I certainly give credit to the teams like LSU, Fla. and others as well. They play in the best conference in the nation year in and year out and are awesome football programs.

:thumb: I believe that a record of (62-14) in the last 6 years along with 6 straight bowl appearances, 4 BCS bowls, 4 10 or 10+ win seasons, 3 conference championships, 3 National title games and one National Championship speaks for itself. That is what has been accomplished under Jim Tressel and added to an already storied football tradition. Should someone want to call that overrated then I will take overrated from here on out :p, that is laughable,:rolleyes::lol:

I certainly give credit to the teams like LSU, Fla. and others as well. They play in the best conference in the nation year in and year out and are awesome football programs.

If OSU were in the SEC their record would not be 62 wins and only 14 loses. not saying they are not a good team just that the SEC is a lot stronger than the Big Ten. The problem with all Big Ten schools is they do not have team speed to compete with SEC BIG BOYS or USC.

If OSU were in the SEC their record would not be 62 wins and only 14 loses. not saying they are not a good team just that the SEC is a lot stronger than the Big Ten. The problem with all Big Ten schools is they do not have team speed to compete with SEC BIG BOYS or USC.

Very true. OSU is a fine team, but the SEC teams, USC, and even Oklahoma are just too fast for Ohio State. I think the Big 10 as a whole could benefit from the "WVU" route, and take more players from the south, especially Florida. It is a hot bed down there, and too many good players to stay in state at UF, Miami and FSU. They may not get the big 5 star athletes consistently, but their are some lesser knowns that could be nice players. They try to do that a little, but I think they kinda miss out on the kind of players they need. Berry will need some coaching, I think Bucs fans will really be discouraged with him. Duron Carter can be very good, but once again, he doesn't have the top level speed that they could use. I would get into Miami-Dade, and go after some kids fromt he schools that aren't UM pipelines. Shannon won't recruit kids from schools that don't have winning programs, which opens the door for out of state schools to come in and get a nice player. The only problem is that with teams like USF improving it will be harder and harder to come into Florida and get players.

I think Tressel could coach circles around 97% of the College Coaches out there, including nearly all of the SEC, but without some speed it won't matter.

No doubt Carter was recruited by those schools. He was OSU all the way, look at where his dad went to school. Still overated. Just wait. JMO

Berry is overrated, just wait. He may do well in the Big 10. But he won't against USC or the SEC, or Texas or Oklahoma. Trust me on that. Like I said, there is a reason he isn't at UF, FSU, or Miami.

Texas is the slowest of the Elite teams. UF, Oklahoma, LSU, and others would embarrass OSU speed wise. Look, USC did and will next year. I don't care where they recruiting class was rated, look at how high Notre Dame's has been. Where has it got them? OSU is a good team but can't beat the heavy weights. And won't. Texas was as good as they can hope for. They don't have the speed. JMO, but the record shows. LSU and UF embarrased them, 02 UM would have 9 out of 10 times.

Texas is the slowest of the elite teams huh? Oh thats right there not in the SEC.

Interesting comments on Carter and Berry. Well for Carter did you write this same article 20 years ago when his daddy came to OSU? It was the same thing... too slow, not explosive. He turned out alright and so will Duron.

Calling Berry overrated is very interesting, you have more guts than I do I will say that. This is based upon Miami of FL not offering him? Things went south with Bryce Brown in a hurry didn't they? Miami of FL didn't recruit Trent Richardson either... XX

Also, not heavily recruited by Florida or Florida State? He was recruited by the DB coach and the RB coach at Florida, also he attended the FL 2008 spring game, I think they were interested. Florida State wanted him as well and offered but knew UF was the only FL school who had a shot. Guess you know something the rest of us don't know. #2 ranked RB in FL, runs a 4.31 with excellent cut back abililty. Guess we will wait and see.

No evaluation on Carlos Hyde?

Texas is the slowest of the elite teams huh? Oh thats right there not in the SEC.

Interesting comments on Carter and Berry. Well for Carter did you write this same article 20 years ago when his daddy came to OSU? It was the same thing... too slow, not explosive. He turned out alright and so will Duron.

Calling Berry overrated is very interesting, you have more guts than I do I will say that. This is based upon Miami of FL not offering him? Things went south with Bryce Brown in a hurry didn't they? Miami of FL didn't recruit Trent Richardson either... XX

Also, not heavily recruited by Florida or Florida State? He was recruited by the DB coach and the RB coach at Florida, also he attended the FL 2008 spring game, I think they were interested. Florida State wanted him as well and offered but knew UF was the only FL school who had a shot. Guess you know something the rest of us don't know. #2 ranked RB in FL, runs a 4.31 with excellent cut back abililty. Guess we will wait and see.

No evaluation on Carlos Hyde?

Well, we all have different opinions. Wait till you see Berry, he doesn't sniff a 4.31. I know thats whats reported, but he doesn't. You see offfers from UF and FSU, but it was more of a thing that if they got him great if not it wasn't a big deal. FSU could/should pull in stud Eduardo Clements this year. UF is pretty set at RB, and they will have some nice players this year as well. IF either really wanted him they would have him, UF actually decided to go with a lesser known player this year at RB. As for Carter, once again you will see. Duron isn't his father, I don't care what he's ranked. A near 4.7 40 just doesn't cut it anymore. Just because they play for OSU, doesn't make them great. If you have watched them, then fine and you are entitled to your opinion. I don't think they are as good as they were ranked. And yes, Texas is the slowest of the teams I mentioned. The Brown thing hurt UM, but they will have a few nice RB's coming between Gainer, Gore, Bernard in 2010.

Well, we all have different opinions. Wait till you see Berry, he doesn't sniff a 4.31. I know thats whats reported, but he doesn't. You see offfers from UF and FSU, but it was more of a thing that if they got him great if not it wasn't a big deal. FSU could/should pull in stud Eduardo Clements this year. UF is pretty set at RB, and they will have some nice players this year as well. IF either really wanted him they would have him, UF actually decided to go with a lesser known player this year at RB. As for Carter, once again you will see. Duron isn't his father, I don't care what he's ranked. A near 4.7 40 just doesn't cut it anymore. Just because they play for OSU, doesn't make them great. If you have watched them, then fine and you are entitled to your opinion. I don't think they are as good as they were ranked. And yes, Texas is the slowest of the teams I mentioned. The Brown thing hurt UM, but they will have a few nice RB's coming between Gainer, Gore, Bernard in 2010.

The recruiting rankings all came out before the kids verbaled or signed with any school. They didn't become 4 or 5 stars after they signed with OSU. You said Berry doesn't sniff a 4.31 but he was clocked at it, and after he was clocked at that his scholarships which started with Ole Miss went up to 25 total. Including Florida, LSU, South Carolina, Florida State.

You said Florida was okay either way if they got him? Well they only invite about 25 kids to the spring game. And in their own words, several of the nation's elite, were on campus. Among them: Plant quarterback Aaron Murray, Miami Killian running back Lamar Miller and Miami Palmetto running back Jamaal Berry

If you wanna call out Carter okay, but he is only expected to be a posession receiver like Robiskie was. They already have speedsters coming in like Fields and Jackson and they have DeVier Posey returning one of the top recruits in the country last year with and Taurian Washington. I am more concerned about Pryor getting them the ball they will get open. But calling out Berry with that offensive line they are going to have during his time in Columbus is gutsy....

The recruiting rankings all came out before the kids verbaled or signed with any school. They didn't become 4 or 5 stars after they signed with OSU. You said Berry doesn't sniff a 4.31 but he was clocked at it, and after he was clocked at that his scholarships which started with Ole Miss went up to 25 total. Including Florida, LSU, South Carolina, Florida State.

You said Florida was okay either way if they got him? Well they only invite about 25 kids to the spring game. And in their own words, several of the nation's elite, were on campus. Among them: Plant quarterback Aaron Murray, Miami Killian running back Lamar Miller and Miami Palmetto running back Jamaal Berry

If you wanna call out Carter okay, but he is only expected to be a posession receiver like Robiskie was. They already have speedsters coming in like Fields and Jackson and they have DeVier Posey returning one of the top recruits in the country last year with and Taurian Washington. I am more concerned about Pryor getting them the ball they will get open. But calling out Berry with that offensive line they are going to have during his time in Columbus is gutsy....

But that makes the point really. Player get invited to these games all the time, even though teams don't expect them on campus. Joyner was at Miami's spring game this year, and we know he most likely won't be here. Murray was pretty much guaranteed not to be at UF and hand delivered to Georgia, and Lamar Miller was a Cane from birth. I'm well aware of when the college football rankings come out. IF you like Jamal Berry that is fine. I personally don't think he is as good as advertised. Only time will tell.

As for the bolded......"if a frog had wings then....... :lol:.

Here we go again, I have given the SEC and other teams in other conferences their due, they deserve it. I just find it funny that no one wants to give OSU theirs. I agree that Ohio State's biggest problems with the SEC teams has been the speed difference. Tressel/OSU have taken some HUGE steps to correct that situation and are not through yet. I don't think the difference will be all that great this season and cetainly not within another year or so with what they have there now, this years class along with future commitments and Jim Tressel, JMO.

Doesn't matter anyway though, I respect your right to your opinion as I have mine :thumb:. I am not going to go into a "spitting" contest with anyone over it or another debate over it.

GO BUCKS!!!

Edited by oldrambler

As for the bolded......"if a frog had wings then....... :lol:.

Here we go again, I have given the SEC and other teams in other conferences their due, they deserve it. I just find it funny that no one wants to give OSU theirs. I agree that Ohio State's biggest problems with the SEC teams has been the speed difference. Tressel/OSU have taken some HUGE steps to correct that situation and are not through yet. I don't think the difference will be all that great this season and cetainly not within another year or so with what they have there now, this years class along with future commitments and Jim Tressel, JMO.

Doesn't matter anyway though, I respect your right to your opinion as I have mine :thumb:. I am not going to go into a "spitting" contest with anyone over it or another debate over it.

GO BUCKS!!!

OSU is one of the best coached teams in the country. They have alot of talent. Their record would sparkle as much in the SEC, but they wouldn't be Vanderbilt or Miss. State either. I don't think they would have made either of their last two titles game though. I respect OSU, and some years Penn State or Michigan, but the rest of the Big 10 is no good. Absolutely horrible. Year in and year out.

I don't see how you justify Ohio State being a top 5 Club at this point. They are losing Laurinaitus, Jenkins, Wells, Robiskie, Hartline, Boone, Freeman, and Washington. I know they are returning Terrelle Pryor-who is by no stretch of the imagination a great passer-but after that who really are they returning? I am not asking this to incite a fight or anything, I've done quite a bit of research on Ohio State and they are dreadfully bare in the defensive secondary, their leading returning receiver has 22 catches and something like 220 yards, Herron has provided some quality time at Running Back, but he was the third string tail back for a reason.

I've done a lot of research as well on their incoming recruits and Berry and Carter will be effective in two years, but do not look for them to be instant impact type players. Marvin Fellows, a 5 star defensive end, and Dorian Bell, a 5 star weak side linebacker, will be the two players that make an impact next season. Ohio State has the #1 class on the country on Scout, but is it really a better class than LSU, Miami, or Texas? I think they got bumped up due to the 25 commits they got.

I don't see how you justify Ohio State being a top 5 Club at this point. They are losing Laurinaitus, Jenkins, Wells, Robiskie, Hartline, Boone, Freeman, and Washington. I know they are returning Terrelle Pryor-who is by no stretch of the imagination a great passer-but after that who really are they returning? I am not asking this to incite a fight or anything, I've done quite a bit of research on Ohio State and they are dreadfully bare in the defensive secondary, their leading returning receiver has 22 catches and something like 220 yards, Herron has provided some quality time at Running Back, but he was the third string tail back for a reason.

I've done a lot of research as well on their incoming recruits and Berry and Carter will be effective in two years, but do not look for them to be instant impact type players. Marvin Fellows, a 5 star defensive end, and Dorian Bell, a 5 star weak side linebacker, will be the two players that make an impact next season. Ohio State has the #1 class on the country on Scout, but is it really a better class than LSU, Miami, or Texas? I think they got bumped up due to the 25 commits they got.

I don't know if you were talking to me or not but I listed Ohio State as a "sleeper" team and didn't have them in my pre season top 5. I believe that depending on how soon this year freshmen comes on they could and will be a very good team. OSU once again has got a very good class coming in.

Herron was actually second string. They love him in Columbus. And he was second string because the first string guy was a Heisman candidate and a first round pick in 2 weeks, not too mention Herron was a freshman who averaged 4.9 yards per carry and had 6 TD's. Mo Wells was the odd guy out and you could even say Saine was. From the 2009 class they also have a 5 star DB coming in Corey Brown, he could make an early impact, also CJ Barnett a tough corner from OH could seem some early PT, Berry will make an impact this year.

OSU had a top 2008 class as well and many guys saw playing time this past year. Including two 5 star lineman, 1 5 star receiver and 1 5 star QB and about 4-5 other 4 star players across the board.

I have been saying for a while Pryors junior year OSU is going to be a very dangerous team. I don't think there top 5 right now I never said that. I think there top 15 and i'm ok with that.

I don't know if you were talking to me or not but I listed Ohio State as a "sleeper" team and didn't have them in my pre season top 5. I believe that depending on how soon this year freshmen comes on they could and will be a very good team. OSU once again has got a very good class coming in.

No Rambler, I wasn't talking about you, I saw it on one of the first two or three posts on here.

Also, The Buckeyes are one year away IMO, Pryor needs to refine his passing game-because let me be honest, he's not a good passer-if he can do that this season, then the Buckeyes' transition will be a little less bumby. They still have to address the corner postion IMO, freshmen are a little prone to going for the big hit or trying to jump a route as opposed to sitting in coverage and letting the ball come to them, Chekwa saw starting time at time this season, but after him there's not much. All of these freshmen should see significant playing time this season, and with that playing time, they will get more physically mature and will be better. There are just too many holes for Ohio State to be a legitimate National Championship Contender and Top 5 team. In 2010, if Pryor's passing game is where it should be and the freshmen in various positions fill out, they will be a legit top 5 contender and national championship favorite. Ohio State will win 9-10 games this season due to the weak Big-10, but I don't see them being as good as some expect.