Highlands 66 Ryle 62 (OT)

Wow what a game. The Birds were down by 11 late in the 4th. Ryle is for real. They are very athletic. I've never see a more classier group of people. Some of the Ryle players came over after the game and checked on Bekah Towles after the game. Towles was involved in quite a collision with Crittendon. After watching them tonight I wouldn't be suprised to see Ryle in a regional championship.

Does the Moss girl still play for Ryle?? If so how did she play tonight??

yes, she had a great game. all over the boards but missed over half of her shots and still probably put up at least 20 points. To think she is only a FRESHMAN!!!:scared:

Only the 2nd game together as a full squad and 5 weeks to get better before tournament play. This team is very dangerous. Very athletic and they play hard and play together. Tonight they played 2 8th graders, 3, Freshman, 2 Sophmores, and 1

Junior. I, too would not be surprised to see them right there at the end this year. Ryle outcored Highlands by 14 from the floor and Highlands won this game at the line 24-33 while Ryle was 6-18. This was a great game to watch as both teams played hard and have great players. This was the first time I have seen Ryle play this year with

Moss and Crittendon back in the line-up together with their team and they and their

team are fun to watch.

This was a great game. Ryle really came to play. Very aggressive defense. Any basketball fan would have to love Ryle's defensive intensity last night.

This was the second time that I have seen Highlands play this year. I would say that they were very flat last night. It seemed as if they came into the game expecting an easy win and then were surprised by Ryle's intensity.

A few observations:

Ryle's defense definitely altered Highlands normal rhythm.

Crittendon makes Ryle a MUCH better team - mostly on the defensive end. She is very quick, has a tremendous wingspan, and anticipates very well. What a great combination. And, she's only a freshman.

Moss and Crittendon are a great combination on both ends of the floor.

Bekah Towles is a true warrior. 19 points 15 rebounds. Any coach would love to have her.

Ryle shot 33% from the free-throw line (6/18). Highlands 75% (24/32).

Ryle wins by 14 points from the floor, but loses by 18 points from the line.

If Ryle would have hit their season average from the free-throw line (63%) that would have been 11/18 (5 additional points). Instead, they lost the game by 4 points. I guess they will spend some time at the line in practice. Moss only shoots 44% from the line for the season.

Katie Allen is a great point guard. However, she either didn't feel well, or just didn't come to play last night.

Ryle doesn't have a point guard. I know they are young, and experience will help. At this point, they don't have a point guard and it doesn't look like they have one on the way. When Highlands went to the press at the end of the game, Ryle had to have Crittendon, Moss, or Johnson (8th grader) bring the ball up since the point didn't want anything to do with it.

Ryle may have made a tactical error when they were up by 10 points with 5 minutes to play. At that point they decided to hold the ball. They didn't even seem to be looking to score. It didn't look like a "lay-ups only" drill. Maybe it was - but it didn't look like it. It did seem to take Ryle out of their rhythm. Within the next four minutes Highlands went on a 12-0 run to take the lead.

The biggest difference in the game (by far) was the fact that Ryle had great difficulty executing an in-bounds play. They must have given up at least ten possessions on in-bounds plays. Either they would get a five second count, or they would make a desperation pass that would result in a turnover. I know they are young and inexperienced, but right now it looks like they don't have one single in-bounds play in their arsenal. I don't know what's going on there.

I do know that you can look at last night's game and realize that you can't afford to leave 5 points at the free-throw line and give up 10+ possessions on in-bounds plays against many teams. You certainly can't do that against a good team like Highlands.

The game should have been a great learning experience for both teams. Ryle should know that they have a couple of relatively easy things to work on (FT's and in-bounds). Highlands should learn that they need to come to play (the entire game) every night.

It was a great game to watch.

Ryle had a great game but unfortunately it resulted in a loss. The starting point guard from Ryle had no problems with Highlands press in the first half but she left the game sometime halfway through the 3rd quarter. Maybe she got hurt or sick but didn't see her return the rest of the game. I will agree that there ball handlers struggled in the 4th not to mention they couldn't hit at the free throw line.

This was a great game. Ryle really came to play. Very aggressive defense. Any basketball fan would have to love Ryle's defensive intensity last night.

This was the second time that I have seen Highlands play this year. I would say that they were very flat last night. It seemed as if they came into the game expecting an easy win and then were surprised by Ryle's intensity.

A few observations:

Ryle's defense definitely altered Highlands normal rhythm.

Crittendon makes Ryle a MUCH better team - mostly on the defensive end. She is very quick, has a tremendous wingspan, and anticipates very well. What a great combination. And, she's only a freshman.

Moss and Crittendon are a great combination on both ends of the floor.

Bekah Towles is a true warrior. 19 points 15 rebounds. Any coach would love to have her.

Ryle shot 33% from the free-throw line (6/18). Highlands 75% (24/32).

Ryle wins by 14 points from the floor, but loses by 18 points from the line.

If Ryle would have hit their season average from the free-throw line (63%) that would have been 11/18 (5 additional points). Instead, they lost the game by 4 points. I guess they will spend some time at the line in practice. Moss only shoots 44% from the line for the season.

Katie Allen is a great point guard. However, she either didn't feel well, or just didn't come to play last night.

Ryle doesn't have a point guard. I know they are young, and experience will help. At this point, they don't have a point guard and it doesn't look like they have one on the way. When Highlands went to the press at the end of the game, Ryle had to have Crittendon, Moss, or Johnson (8th grader) bring the ball up since the point didn't want anything to do with it.

Ryle may have made a tactical error when they were up by 10 points with 5 minutes to play. At that point they decided to hold the ball. They didn't even seem to be looking to score. It didn't look like a "lay-ups only" drill. Maybe it was - but it didn't look like it. It did seem to take Ryle out of their rhythm. Within the next four minutes Highlands went on a 12-0 run to take the lead.

The biggest difference in the game (by far) was the fact that Ryle had great difficulty executing an in-bounds play. They must have given up at least ten possessions on in-bounds plays. Either they would get a five second count, or they would make a desperation pass that would result in a turnover. I know they are young and inexperienced, but right now it looks like they don't have one single in-bounds play in their arsenal. I don't know what's going on there.

I do know that you can look at last night's game and realize that you can't afford to leave 5 points at the free-throw line and give up 10+ possessions on in-bounds plays against many teams. You certainly can't do that against a good team like Highlands.

The game should have been a great learning experience for both teams. Ryle should know that they have a couple of relatively easy things to work on (FT's and in-bounds). Highlands should learn that they need to come to play (the entire game) every night.

It was a great game to watch.

Thanks for the summary! Nice job!