Fundamental Basketball

Does any coach teach fundamentals anymore? Lack of being able to run a simple pick and roll has become a pet peeve of mine. Either the picker gets a "moving pick " call on him or the "picky" does not run his man off the pick. I listened to a coach this weekend yell to his players to "set a screen" then have to yell " use the screen". But this is not just high school. It goes on to college ball. When I played, one way to loosen a tight full court press on your point guard was to set a "bone jarring" pick for him to run his man into. Then it became easier for him to get the ball down the floor.

You've nailed the two problems preventing many/most teams from using the ball screen effectively. First, many players do not know how to set a proper pick as far as it being legal. Secondly, if they do, then you have the player with the ball unable to run his/her player off of the pick which leads to the illegal screen call.

You've nailed the two problems preventing many/most teams from using the ball screen effectively. First, many players do not know how to set a proper pick as far as it being legal. Secondly, if they do, then you have the player with the ball unable to run his/her player off of the pick which leads to the illegal screen call.

Which brings up another point of defenders getting the upper hand and pushing the dribbler where he wants him to go thus avoiding the pick.

Which brings up another point of defenders getting the upper hand and pushing the dribbler where he wants him to go thus avoiding the pick.

Sorry I got off my own topic. Hit a nerve. What coach teaches fundamental basketball (rebounding, shot selection, defense, moving without the ball, etc.)?

Does any coach teach fundamentals anymore? Lack of being able to run a simple pick and roll has become a pet peeve of mine. Either the picker gets a "moving pick " call on him or the "picky" does not run his man off the pick. I listened to a coach this weekend yell to his players to "set a screen" then have to yell " use the screen". But this is not just high school. It goes on to college ball. When I played, one way to loosen a tight full court press on your point guard was to set a "bone jarring" pick for him to run his man into. Then it became easier for him to get the ball down the floor.

I agree with you 100%. It seems fundamentals are a thing of the past.

Sorry I got off my own topic. Hit a nerve. What coach teaches fundamental basketball (rebounding, shot selection, defense, moving without the ball, etc.)?

Coach Chalk at Franklin County high school and his staff (Coach Meadows and Coach Johnson) do a good job teaching, particularly, defensive fundamentals. Asst. Coach Hardy works with the players and has helped individuals a lot with their offensive techniques.

I like what Coach Griesser did when he came to Montgomery County. He had a hand in hiring everyone down to the 6th grade middle school coach. Head High School coaches should not have to be teaching fundamentals, they should be REFINING those fundamental skills. I know Coach does a lot of work on blocking out drills and defensive drills.

Sorely missing from todays game. Actually it has been missing for some time now. IMO where it got its roots were with Big East Basketball of the early to mid 80's & ESPN. To much New York City street ball in todays game for me.

Back to set shots, right???;)

Good point about the Big East/ESPN influence. The game is played at a much higher pace and a much more athletic style than it "used to be" and some of the old school styles of play that we might call "fundamentals" are no longer being deployed. Some positives in that. Some negatives.

To say fundamentals is a thing of the past is a bit off. There is a lot of good programs out there that are very fundamentally sound. (that doesn't mean they run every pick and roll right though). But if you watch teams like Wayne Co, Scott Co, Mason Co, LexCath, South Laurel, CovCath, Corbin, etc you will see teams that are very fundamentally sound.

To say fundamentals is a thing of the past is a bit off. There is a lot of good programs out there that are very fundamentally sound. (that doesn't mean they run every pick and roll right though). But if you watch teams like Wayne Co, Scott Co, Mason Co, LexCath, South Laurel, CovCath, Corbin, etc you will see teams that are very fundamentally sound.

My understanding is that "the Mason County way" is taught pretty much from birth.

It is amazing how many kids play on teams at the local Boys and Girls Club in a town the size of Maysville.

:argue:

:idunno::idunno:There are many reasons today why fundamentals suffer. One of them is today's player only plays with his or her high school coach during the school season. Other times throughout spring and summer they are playing on different traveling teams. From what I've seen these games are playing soley on offensive ability and the ability to score one on one. This combined with the current NBA which is extremely lacking in fundamentals are making it harder and harder for High School coaches to REALLY teach fundamentals. It's hard to find a good coach who is also a teacher and vice versa. Trust me there is a huge difference in coaching a game and teaching the sport of basketball. I wish we could get back to the fundamentals, but its getting harder for coaches to compete with the NON-fundamentals NBA and summer leagues. I may be wrong but thats just my 2 cents.