Highlands / Boone County (01/12)

If Boone's coach lets the guards loose, I think they can cause a lot of trouble in the open floor. If they slow it down and look to pound it inside all night to McFarland and Earls, I think you negate Gabbard and Popp's effectiveness and Eta may be correct!

I agree. Holmes is in the same boat. Until Henley lets the guards loose, Riley, Housely, and Rico aren't going to be near as affective as they could be playing an uptempo style.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree it should be a good game. I was just trying to say don't get wrapped up in the stats because honestly they mean nothing if the two haven't played yet.

The only way Earls beats Grubbs, Watson, or Dill down the court is if Boone plays an uptempo style, which you've already said they won't, so the point that Earls will get easy buckets seems kind of irrelevant now.

If Highlands is smart they, they'll attack the rim early to get Boone in foul trouble. I have a feeling Willie will do this which will lead to one of Boone's "big 3" sitting a lot. Boone hasa solid starting 5 but really no depth after that which will lead to a lot of turnovers caused by Highlands pressure.

But I could be way off base and eating crow tonight. Only time will tell. I agree it should be a good game though.

:thumb: Well one can always hope Boone will play uptempo :-)

I feel like Boone is in the same boat as Holmes with the uptempo style. Until the two coaches let their guards loose, we won't see their full potential.

I agree with Holmes, but not with Boone. I feel Boone would benefit more with a slow pace. They can work it inside to Earls, or let Gabbard run set plays. They have many talented role players and could improve some defensively. Players like Cotton and McFarland may play better in an untempo system, but I think their offense is working just fine.

Holmes oozes talent. I agree that an uptempo system would allow for more points. However, Henley is a heck of a coach who knows his kids well. I can't argue with a coach who has his team ranked #1 in the state.

I don't believe that "physical" defense necessarily means that someone is a better defender. Boone's Gabbard and Popp have a combined 49 steals and have done a very good job this year limiting other team's leading scoring guards. Grote and Lother have a combined 39 steals. Certainly, Lother is not physical, but he still has 17 steals. There's much more to defense than physicality, especially in perimeter play.

In addition, Boone's guards have each scored over 20 before and have each scored double figures many times. They are capable of being scorers when necessary. Boone's current offensive system does not call for them to lead the team in scoring. Both of Boone's guards have scored more points than Grote, Gordon, or Lother. Kowolonek is the only Highlands guard/forward who has outscored them. Boone's guards have the edge in assists: Boone: Gabbard 50, Popp 18, Schultz 18. Highlands: Lother 33, Gordon 24, Grote 17, while Highlands guards have taken better care of the ball and have fewer turnovers: Boone: Popp 38, Gabbard 31, Schultz 21. Highlands: Lother 31, Grote 29, Gordon 25. Blocks: Highlands guards 3, Boone's 3.

I think the inside play will determine this one, not the guard play.

Is there somewhere you can view team stats?

I agree with Holmes, but not with Boone. I feel Boone would benefit more with a slow pace. They can work it inside to Earls, or let Gabbard run set plays. They have many talented role players and could improve some defensively. Players like Cotton and McFarland may play better in an untempo system, but I think their offense is working just fine.

Holmes oozes talent. I agree that an uptempo system would allow for more points. However, Henley is a heck of a coach who knows his kids well. I can't argue with a coach who has his team ranked #1 in the state.

Good points.

As far as the bolded part, I definetly agree.