Highlands / Boone County (01/12)

I expect the Birds to play really aggressive defense. The BC guards are very quick and if they can get penetration and dishes it will be a long night. The key I think is stopping the BC guards.

Dont count out Grote/Kowolonek one two punch because they can light you up really quick and silently.

HHS 61

BC 58

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I expect the Birds to play really aggressive defense. The BC guards are very quick and if they can get penetration and dishes it will be a long night. The key I think is stopping the BC guards.

Dont count out Grote/Kowolonek one two punch because they can light you up really quick and silently.

HHS 61

BC 58

Grote is the X-factor for the Birds in this one. In order for them to win, he has to continue to play well offensively like he has recently.

Grote is the X-factor for the Birds in this one. In order for them to win, he has to continue to play well offensively like he has recently.

I said it at the beginning of the season. Grote and Kowolonek need to both combine to avg atleast 35pts a game between them. We know the Birds can hold teams under 50. If you can get that kind of production out them then you can count on Watson/Gordon/Lother/Grubbs/Dill to get you atleast another 20 to 25. Nice to see Grote's shot on target because they really do not have a 3pt threat outside of him. Kowolonek can hit it when open but he has a slow release and IMO is better driving to the basket and scoring in transition. He gets to the rim pretty darn good.

Boone County mades a statement

Not in the Birds house bro. They could win the game, I am not ruling that out but making a statement is not going to happen. The Birds have lost 3 games. One by 6 to NCC, one by 3 to Brossart and another by 3 points to Madison Central.

To me making a statement is beating a team by 15+. Not happening.

Not in the Birds house bro. They could win the game, I am not ruling that out but making a statement is not going to happen. The Birds have lost 3 games. One by 6 to NCC, one by 3 to Brossart and another by 3 points to Madison Central.

To me making a statement is beating a team by 15+. Not happening.

I agree. Highlands is a very tough place to pull out a W and "make a statement".

Just ask Holmes who trailed by as many as 13 and needed OT last year to beat Highlands at Highlands.

I agree. Highlands is a very tough place to pull out a W and "make a statement".

Just ask Holmes who trailed by as many as 13 and needed OT last year to beat Highlands at Highlands.

They also had arguably the best duo in the region last year.

They also had arguably the best duo in the region last year.

Questionable. Neither played much together and honestly each played better without one another.

This year's Highlands team is solid. They have size, play good defense, and are VERY DEEP.

Questionable. Neither played much together and honestly each played better without one another.

This year's Highlands team is solid. They have size, play good defense, and are VERY DEEP.

Correct, see Regional tourney.

I like this year's squad much better. Wish they had one or the other but having just one on the floor last season seemed to produce better results than 2.

Correct, see Regional tourney.

I like this year's squad much better. Wish they had one or the other but having just one on the floor last season seemed to produce better results than 2.

I agree. I think that's the only thing the Birds are missing this year is a "star" or go to guy. What helps them though is they play more as a team since they don't have to rely on one guy to carry the whole load.

I'll take Boone Co by 8-10. They match up well, but IMO Boone's guards are better than Highland's guards. Look for Andy Earls to have a good game.

Not sure I'd agree with Boone having better guards. Gordon, Kowolonek, and Grote all three are better defenders and more likely to light you up for 20 than Gabbard or Popp.

Also I see Earls struggling against Watson, Grubbs, and Dill. All three will be very physical which will get in his head.

Boone will force an uptempo style. Highlands has historically scored a lot of points against Boone.

You may be right though.

Boone has not been playing an uptempo style this year. They have been relying more on defense. I think it will be lower scoring. I'll say Boone 55-48, but it is a home game for Highlands, I think it could go either way and be a pick'em game. I don't think anyone on Highlands (e.g., Grubbs, Smith-Keller, Watson) can match up with Boone's inside players, especially McFarland if they are playing to their capability. McFarland has been having a VERY good year, and Earls is playing very well lately too.