Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

CovCath vs. Johnson Central predictions

CovCath vs. Johnson Central who wins! 223 members have voted

  1. 1. CovCath vs. Johnson Central who wins!

    • CovCath
      36%
      82
    • Johnson Central
      63%
      141

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

Finally a JC fan on here! I think the NKY folks are in for a surprise if they think JC is a slow, one dimensional team.

 

Well I dont really get into that Northern Ky stereotyping the Mountains. It is true that most Mountain teams rely on their power and percieved "Mountain Man" strength to overpower teams. And it is also true that later on in the playoffs a team, especially at this level of competition(Class 5A), will have to be a pretty balanced team to advance. I dont know how far JC's rushing attack can take them, but I honestly feel it can and will take them through this game. By no means does JC have a potent passing attack, but there rushing game is so good that their play action pass is very dangerous, usually going for TD's. The thing is Cov. Cath, although against very very solid competition, is giving up around 260yd per game. The only games they have held teams under 100 yds rushing were against Scott and Madisonville-North Hopkins. I just think that JC's strength's beat Cov. Cath's weaknesses.

  • Replies 216
  • Views 17.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who said they were slow?

 

I went back and read the entire thread and nobody said JC was slow. Nobody said anything about "Mountain football" not being good football. If JC does not like being called one dimensional, then they should throw the ball more. I'm not saying they can't pass, the stats say they don't pass. That is not being disrespectful. It is just a fact.

 

You can keep on trying to sell the no respect garbage, but nobody from CCH is buying it.:sssh:

I went back and read the entire thread and nobody said JC was slow. Nobody said anything about "Mountain football" not being good football. If JC does not like being called one dimensional, then they should throw the ball more. I'm not saying they can't pass, the stats say they don't pass. That is not being disrespectful. It is just a fact.

 

You can keep on trying to sell the no respect garbage, but nobody from CCH is buying it.:sssh:

 

 

So true! I actually have heard nothing BUT respect from CCH players and parents and fans this week. Everyone knows this is going to be a hard game for CCH, but they all believe they can pull it off.

Opponent Rush Att Rush Yards Pass Att Pass Yards

Breathitt Co 48 416 3 0

St Thomas More 35 420 2 0

Bryan Station 40 274 1 31

Shelby Co 44 281 0 0

Woodford Co 48 684 1 22 (TD)

Paintsville 48 582 2 24

Hazard 48 572 3 30

Montgomery Co 38 433 2 0

Ashland Blazer 38 350 2 26 (TD)

Belfry 38 195 12 94

 

Total 425 4207 28 227

Average 43 421 3 23

Edited by 72birdman

Opponent Rush Att Rush Yards Pass Att Pass Yards

Breathitt Co 48 416 3 0

St Thomas More 35 420 2 0

Bryan Station 40 274 1 31

Shelby Co 44 281 0 0

Woodford Co 48 684 1 22 (TD)

Paintsville 48 582 2 24

Hazard 48 572 3 30

Montgomery Co 38 433 2 0

Ashland Blazer 38 350 2 26 (TD)

Belfry 38 195 12 94

 

Total 425 4207 28 227

Average 43 421 3 23

 

 

 

Wow, so...would you say they are a running team? ;)

 

But in all seriousness, if all they have to offer is a running attack, if CCH doesn't stop them this week, Highlands sure will next week. They better start practicing their pass offense. [if they have one].

 

Should be a good game though this weekend. Hope CCH can buckle down and stop the run. =]

for tackles by Mr VanSant, with JC running 40+ times in the game?:scared:

Highlands is hardly smash mouth. They sure run a lot, but speed-based.

 

read post 103;)

So true! I actually have heard nothing BUT respect from CCH players and parents and fans this week. Everyone knows this is going to be a hard game for CCH, but they all believe they can pull it off.

 

Sorry guys, it seems I have hit a nerve. The only thing I have heard on this site is what a more tough schedule CC has played and how much tougher NKY teams are, how much more speed they have and how much more balanced they are. I made a mistake, I thought by making comments such as these you were saying JC was not these things or our area was weak, sorry.

 

Lets get down to the reason this site is here and talk football. Games are won on taking advantage of matchups. What are they key matchups going to be? I think the key for JC will be using Welch and his abilities to keep CC defense off gaurd and making the running game more effective. Welch is also second in the state all time in intercpetions. Who will CC use to counter Welch? Anyone else have any ideas on matchups for the game.

I'm not a CCH fan; but I can tell you how wrong you are. People in NKY don't disrespect mountain teams at all. However, the fact that you're from the mountains does not give your team any special advantage in toughness, in heart, or in effort. You may get tired of hearing that NKY has success in football; but that isn't the fault of anyone in NKY. It's just the truth.

 

Well said, Birdsfan :thumb:

Sorry guys, it seems I have hit a nerve. The only thing I have heard on this site is what a more tough schedule CC has played and how much tougher NKY teams are, how much more speed they have and how much more balanced they are. I made a mistake, I thought by making comments such as these you were saying JC was not these things or our area was weak, sorry.

 

Lets get down to the reason this site is here and talk football. Games are won on taking advantage of matchups. What are they key matchups going to be? I think the key for JC will be using Welch and his abilities to keep CC defense off gaurd and making the running game more effective. Welch is also second in the state all time in intercpetions. Who will CC use to counter Welch? Anyone else have any ideas on matchups for the game.

 

 

VanSant and Deters will need to have big games on both sides of the ball. The LBs for Cov Cath are going to have to be active and minimize the missed/broken tackles. Offensively Cov Cath should be able to put points on the board, I think it will depend on how well the front 7 on defense perform for Cov Cath that will determine the outcome of this game.

VanSant and Deters will need to have big games on both sides of the ball. The LBs for Cov Cath are going to have to be active and minimize the missed/broken tackles. Offensively Cov Cath should be able to put points on the board, I think it will depend on how well the front 7 on defense perform for Cov Cath that will determine the outcome of this game.

 

I agree.:thumb:

Sorry guys, it seems I have hit a nerve. The only thing I have heard on this site is what a more tough schedule CC has played and how much tougher NKY teams are, how much more speed they have and how much more balanced they are. I made a mistake, I thought by making comments such as these you were saying JC was not these things or our area was weak, sorry.

 

Lets get down to the reason this site is here and talk football. Games are won on taking advantage of matchups. What are they key matchups going to be? I think the key for JC will be using Welch and his abilities to keep CC defense off gaurd and making the running game more effective. Welch is also second in the state all time in intercpetions. Who will CC use to counter Welch? Anyone else have any ideas on matchups for the game.

 

As to the bolded part, it "seems" that you hit a nerve? You did obviously with some.:D

 

You and others in the mountains (but not every one from the mountains, for sure) like to complain about how the rest of the state doesn't respect mountain football. Yet you have no problem claiming the teams outside of the mountains can't handle the smash mouth football played in the mountains or imply that "holler kids" have bigger hearts, which is disrespecting the toughness and committment of the kids in other areas of the state. Which I find not only somewhat hypocritical from someone complaining about stereotypes and playing the disrespect card, but I find interesting when looking at the recent state championships won by E. Ky schools. If teams out in the state can't handle the smash mouth mountain football played by kids with hearts the size of mountains, how do you then explain that in the last 20 years, only two teams from the mountains have won the A title (Middlesboro in 98 and Pikeville in 88 and 89); only 3 teams have won the AA title (Russell in 05, Belfry in 03 and 04 and Breathitt in 02' which is a great run for the mountain schools by the way in that class); only two teams have won the AAA title (Bell in 91 and Ashland in 90); none have won AAAA, AAAAA or AAAAAA.

 

You may feel that data and past history is only for insecure people, but I think data and history can provide a very useful tool to analyze things. What's that conventional wisdom: if you don't study your failures in the past, you are likely to repeat them. As a poster commented on another site, it almost seems coaches from E. Ky have some ego thing going to see what team can bill itself as the best running game in E. Ky, to the point that they foresake developing a passing game when past recent history indicates pretty clearly you better have a more than adequate passing game if you want to win state. My Lord, Trinity stopped Boone County with Shawn Alexander because Boone County couldn't pass the ball. No disrespect to Richardson, Dillon and the other runners at JC, but I don't see a Shawn Alexander in that group. And Boone County wasn't just Shawn Alexander that year. They had a very, very talented O line blocking for him just like JC has a very, very talented O line blocking for them.

 

Look, I have a love for E. Ky, have many friends there and respect greatly E. Ky football. But as much as you resent your perception that people in N. Ky don't respect football south of Lexington, I resent the perception that mountain kids are tougher than kids elsewhere and that such toughness and smashmouth style of play wins big games. You have some posts and comments to support your belief. I have years of history supporting mine.

 

And for the Highlands fans reading this post, no I am not going crazy or being hypocritical from what I posted last year about Highlands being able to win state running the ball, because I knew that Highlands could pass the ball well if they wanted to and, more importantly, needed to. Cecil did have an approximately 60% completion rate last year and passed the ball a whole lot more than the 22 or 24 passes that JC has thrown this year (and I think 12 of them were against Belfry). The difference with JC this year iand Highlands last year is the fact that from my observation of JC, they cannot pass the ball well consistently. I've seen games and I've seen tapes. Dillon is a great runner, but when he passes he just throws the ball up and hopes that Welch comes down with it. That may work against other teams not used to defending the pass, but I don't think it will work against teams like CovCath that have played a lot of games against passing teams unless they have to totally sell out to stop the run.

 

Which gets back to my original post in this thread: 1.if CovCath can get ahead early and force JC to throw late in the game to catch up (like they had to throw against Belfry) and/or, 2. if CovCath can stop the run without having to put 11 in the box totally committed to stopping the run, then CovCath can win this game. I think CovCath can score often against JC so scenario 1 may pan out but based on my observations of CovCath (which haven't been recent I'll admit) I don't think scenario 2 will pan out. What will be real interesting to see is if CovCath is going to put some of those big offensive linemen on the defensive line this week to help stop the run. That wouldn't surprise me in the least.

 

Good luck to both teams and take care.

I am not a fan of either team and won't be at this game. But from reading the posts, it looks like THE matchup of the game is JC's Welch vs. CCH's Van Sant. Van Sant is the best receiver I have seen this year and maybe in the last couple of years. He definitely should be a D1 receiver, perhaps TE, somewhere in my opinion. So if Welch is as good as posted by JC fans on here, watch the Welch/Van Sant battle Friday and enjoy.

Good luck to both teams and take care.

 

Should be a heck of a game. :thumb:

 

Did you go over to CCH and spell it out for them so we don't have to drive to "johnsonville" next week?

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.