Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

CovCath vs. Johnson Central predictions

CovCath vs. Johnson Central who wins! 223 members have voted

  1. 1. CovCath vs. Johnson Central who wins!

    • CovCath
      36%
      82
    • Johnson Central
      63%
      141

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

As to the bolded part, it "seems" that you hit a nerve? You did obviously with some.:D

 

You and others in the mountains (but not every one from the mountains, for sure) like to complain about how the rest of the state doesn't respect mountain football. Yet you have no problem claiming the teams outside of the mountains can't handle the smash mouth football played in the mountains or imply that "holler kids" have bigger hearts, which is disrespecting the toughness and committment of the kids in other areas of the state. Which I find not only somewhat hypocritical from someone complaining about stereotypes and playing the disrespect card, but I find interesting when looking at the recent state championships won by E. Ky schools. If teams out in the state can't handle the smash mouth mountain football played by kids with hearts the size of mountains, how do you then explain that in the last 20 years, only two teams from the mountains have won the A title (Middlesboro in 98 and Pikeville in 88 and 89); only 3 teams have won the AA title (Russell in 05, Belfry in 03 and 04 and Breathitt in 02' which is a great run for the mountain schools by the way in that class); only two teams have won the AAA title (Bell in 91 and Ashland in 90); none have won AAAA, AAAAA or AAAAAA.

 

You may feel that data and past history is only for insecure people, but I think data and history can provide a very useful tool to analyze things. What's that conventional wisdom: if you don't study your failures in the past, you are likely to repeat them. As a poster commented on another site, it almost seems coaches from E. Ky have some ego thing going to see what team can bill itself as the best running game in E. Ky, to the point that they foresake developing a passing game when past recent history indicates pretty clearly you better have a more than adequate passing game if you want to win state. My Lord, Trinity stopped Boone County with Shawn Alexander because Boone County couldn't pass the ball. No disrespect to Richardson, Dillon and the other runners at JC, but I don't see a Shawn Alexander in that group. And Boone County wasn't just Shawn Alexander that year. They had a very, very talented O line blocking for him just like JC has a very, very talented O line blocking for them.

 

Look, I have a love for E. Ky, have many friends there and respect greatly E. Ky football. But as much as you resent your perception that people in N. Ky don't respect football south of Lexington, I resent the perception that mountain kids are tougher than kids elsewhere and that such toughness and smashmouth style of play wins big games. You have some posts and comments to support your belief. I have years of history supporting mine.

 

And for the Highlands fans reading this post, no I am not going crazy or being hypocritical from what I posted last year about Highlands being able to win state running the ball, because I knew that Highlands could pass the ball well if they wanted to and, more importantly, needed to. Cecil did have an approximately 60% completion rate last year and passed the ball a whole lot more than the 22 or 24 passes that JC has thrown this year (and I think 12 of them were against Belfry). The difference with JC this year iand Highlands last year is the fact that from my observation of JC, they cannot pass the ball well consistently. I've seen games and I've seen tapes. Dillon is a great runner, but when he passes he just throws the ball up and hopes that Welch comes down with it. That may work against other teams not used to defending the pass, but I don't think it will work against teams like CovCath that have played a lot of games against passing teams unless they have to totally sell out to stop the run.

 

Which gets back to my original post in this thread: 1.if CovCath can get ahead early and force JC to throw late in the game to catch up (like they had to throw against Belfry) and/or, 2. if CovCath can stop the run without having to put 11 in the box totally committed to stopping the run, then CovCath can win this game. I think CovCath can score often against JC so scenario 1 may pan out but based on my observations of CovCath (which haven't been recent I'll admit) I don't think scenario 2 will pan out. What will be real interesting to see is if CovCath is going to put some of those big offensive linemen on the defensive line this week to help stop the run. That wouldn't surprise me in the least.

 

Good luck to both teams and take care.

 

Well said all around. :thumb:

  • Replies 216
  • Views 17.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As to the bolded part, it "seems" that you hit a nerve? You did obviously with some.:D

 

You and others in the mountains (but not every one from the mountains, for sure) like to complain about how the rest of the state doesn't respect mountain football. Yet you have no problem claiming the teams outside of the mountains can't handle the smash mouth football played in the mountains or imply that "holler kids" have bigger hearts, which is disrespecting the toughness and committment of the kids in other areas of the state. Which I find not only somewhat hypocritical from someone complaining about stereotypes and playing the disrespect card, but I find interesting when looking at the recent state championships won by E. Ky schools. If teams out in the state can't handle the smash mouth mountain football played by kids with hearts the size of mountains, how do you then explain that in the last 20 years, only two teams from the mountains have won the A title (Middlesboro in 98 and Pikeville in 88 and 89); only 3 teams have won the AA title (Russell in 05, Belfry in 03 and 04 and Breathitt in 02' which is a great run for the mountain schools by the way in that class); only two teams have won the AAA title (Bell in 91 and Ashland in 90); none have won AAAA, AAAAA or AAAAAA.

 

You may feel that data and past history is only for insecure people, but I think data and history can provide a very useful tool to analyze things. What's that conventional wisdom: if you don't study your failures in the past, you are likely to repeat them. As a poster commented on another site, it almost seems coaches from E. Ky have some ego thing going to see what team can bill itself as the best running game in E. Ky, to the point that they foresake developing a passing game when past recent history indicates pretty clearly you better have a more than adequate passing game if you want to win state. My Lord, Trinity stopped Boone County with Shawn Alexander because Boone County couldn't pass the ball. No disrespect to Richardson, Dillon and the other runners at JC, but I don't see a Shawn Alexander in that group. And Boone County wasn't just Shawn Alexander that year. They had a very, very talented O line blocking for him just like JC has a very, very talented O line blocking for them.

 

Look, I have a love for E. Ky, have many friends there and respect greatly E. Ky football. But as much as you resent your perception that people in N. Ky don't respect football south of Lexington, I resent the perception that mountain kids are tougher than kids elsewhere and that such toughness and smashmouth style of play wins big games. You have some posts and comments to support your belief. I have years of history supporting mine.

 

And for the Highlands fans reading this post, no I am not going crazy or being hypocritical from what I posted last year about Highlands being able to win state running the ball, because I knew that Highlands could pass the ball well if they wanted to and, more importantly, needed to. Cecil did have an approximately 60% completion rate last year and passed the ball a whole lot more than the 22 or 24 passes that JC has thrown this year (and I think 12 of them were against Belfry). The difference with JC this year iand Highlands last year is the fact that from my observation of JC, they cannot pass the ball well consistently. I've seen games and I've seen tapes. Dillon is a great runner, but when he passes he just throws the ball up and hopes that Welch comes down with it. That may work against other teams not used to defending the pass, but I don't think it will work against teams like CovCath that have played a lot of games against passing teams unless they have to totally sell out to stop the run.

 

Which gets back to my original post in this thread: 1.if CovCath can get ahead early and force JC to throw late in the game to catch up (like they had to throw against Belfry) and/or, 2. if CovCath can stop the run without having to put 11 in the box totally committed to stopping the run, then CovCath can win this game. I think CovCath can score often against JC so scenario 1 may pan out but based on my observations of CovCath (which haven't been recent I'll admit) I don't think scenario 2 will pan out. What will be real interesting to see is if CovCath is going to put some of those big offensive linemen on the defensive line this week to help stop the run. That wouldn't surprise me in the least.

 

Good luck to both teams and take care.

 

Feel better now?:D

Feel better now?:D

 

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

All of you NKY people and Mountain people have no respect for us people in WKY!!! LOL Just kidding!

 

I would like to see this game and I would like to have seen the BS vs HHS game the ER in Fort Thomas must have been busy after last Friday night. LOL

 

Just goes to show no matter how lopsided a game is suppose to be if you don't bring your A game every night you could be watching next week.

 

Leatherneck very good post history shows the NKY teams have been more successful over the last 20 years whether the rest of us in the state like it or not. The only thing we can do about it is show up and try to whip the tails of the team on the other side of the ball regardless of where they are from.

 

JC if you you think you don't get any respect then earn it and quit talking about it. Beat the teams you play and everyone will talk about you if that is what you want.

 

WKY has had good teams over the years and my team the Owensboro Red Devils have had a long history of always having a good football team over the years then they fell off the wagon and over the past 3 or 4 years chased the wagon down and are holding on to it trying to jump back on. We do not need respect to play the game although respect is nice but I would rather it be the other way around in all honesty. See if you fly under the radar all year then you can sneak up on people and pull off something special. Prepare and have a good game plan execute the game plan and see what happens.

 

If you leave it all on the field and don't make mistakes and still lose sometimes that team was better maybe just for that night or maybe all year that is another argument. All I have to say is we play Bowling Green tomorrow night at BG who has been to the last 3 state finals and well we are going out to win not for respect but to win and move on. The past is the past and the present is now just because BG has made it to the finals isn't going to win the game for them tomorrow night and well if it was why play the game in the first place.

 

If the kids believe they can win you already have won half of the battle. JC has a golden opportunity to earn the respect they claim they are not getting this week and next week by beating 2 very successful NKY teams and when and if that happens there will be no reason to brag on the message boards or trash talk the losers because well they will all be on here talking about how good JC is this year. So good luck tomorrow night and I will wait to see the outcome of all the games.

Feel better now?:D

 

:lol:

Feel better now?:D
It's all about the fiber. :D

Who are the LB for CC and what is their size? How quick are they? Who is the best defenseive player for CC?

Who are the LB for CC and what is their size? How quick are they? Who is the best defenseive player for CC?

 

VanSant.....

I watched JC on film. They ran the ball well and appeared to be well coached. However, I thought it was painfully obvious JC didn't have a lot of speed (neither does CCH for that matter) and I question if JC's passing attack will be enough to keep CCH honest.

 

Put it this way, if I was coaching at CCH I would put 8 or 9 guys in the box on every play and dare JC to throw the ball.

 

With all that said I think this will be one of the best games of the week.

VanSant.....

Ironically, VanSant is the answer to all 5 of the questions he asked. In many ways, he is the defense.

I watched JC on film. They ran the ball well and appeared to be well coached. However, I thought it was painfully obvious JC didn't have a lot of speed (neither does CCH for that matter) and I question if JC's passing attack will be enough to keep CCH honest.

 

Put it this way, if I was coaching at CCH I would put 8 or 9 guys in the box on every play and dare JC to throw the ball.

 

With all that said I think this will be one of the best games of the week.

Ironically as well, when JC played CCH in 2006, they passed 3 times for 2 TD's. But I agree that your idea would be the best strategy.

Ironically as well, when JC played CCH in 2006, they passed 3 times for 2 TD's. But I agree that your idea would be the best strategy.

 

At the end of the day it only matters if JC is successful when they do throw the football, not how many times they throw it.

 

There is no doubt in my mind the JC coaching staff knows what it is doing.

Ironically, VanSant is the answer to all 5 of the questions he asked. In many ways, he is the defense.

 

Ironically as well, when JC played CCH in 2006, they passed 3 times for 2 TD's. But I agree that your idea would be the best strategy.

 

Your are right. Every team we have played have lined up with as many as 11 in the box. I realize as we move forward each week teams will be more effective in stopping our run. The reason our passing game is not up to speed yet is we have not had to through the ball. I feel assured Matney and Co are working on the pass this week. Most of JC passing plays for years have been touch downs or big yard gainers. If we could get the passing game going just enough to keep CC honest in the box it would help. I know it is not reflected here, but JC has a passing game and enough talent to be effective, just have to get it going.

 

Is anyone recruiting Van Sant, I hear he is awesome! Is the Isler kid at QB pretty moble, he appears to have plenty of size?

I am not a JCHS fan but I am from Paintsville. A couple of people want to compare JCHS '06 to this years team and I would give a slight edge to '06 because of Matt Tackett and Blake Johnson those guys were two really good high school LB's. Johnson was a great full back as well and if he had stayed healthy JCHS may have a state title already under their belts. However, I think this years JCHS has a better O-line and larger running backs. JCHS is not slow. They don't have any 4.4 guys but overall they have enough team speed to get by. Of course Cov. Cath is going to stack the box, but JCHS will still run the belly,lead, drive, toss, and play action once every third game HAHA. I think JCHS is putting their kids in the best situation to win with the personel they have this year, what more could you ask out of a coach?

Your are right. Every team we have played have lined up with as many as 11 in the box. I realize as we move forward each week teams will be more effective in stopping our run. The reason our passing game is not up to speed yet is we have not had to through the ball. I feel assured Matney and Co are working on the pass this week. Most of JC passing plays for years have been touch downs or big yard gainers. If we could get the passing game going just enough to keep CC honest in the box it would help. I know it is not reflected here, but JC has a passing game and enough talent to be effective, just have to get it going.

 

Is anyone recruiting Van Sant, I hear he is awesome! Is the Isler kid at QB pretty moble, he appears to have plenty of size?

 

I understand that JC is good running the ball but they should still have been working on a passing game throughout the year. And not up to speed YET? It's the second week of the playoffs. CCH did well last week defending WC's passing attack.

 

As far as Van Sant I haven't heard of anyone recruiting him but wouldn't be surprised if he is getting looks. Isler isn't exactly the most mobile of a QB but he is a big presence in the pocket so he doesn't need to scramble much. There were a few times last week where he was rushed out of the pocket but still made plays by finding a receiver down field before taking a hit.

I am not a JCHS fan but I am from Paintsville. A couple of people want to compare JCHS '06 to this years team and I would give a slight edge to '06 because of Matt Tackett and Blake Johnson those guys were two really good high school LB's. Johnson was a great full back as well and if he had stayed healthy JCHS may have a state title already under their belts. However, I think this years JCHS has a better O-line and larger running backs. JCHS is not slow. They don't have any 4.4 guys but overall they have enough team speed to get by. Of course Cov. Cath is going to stack the box, but JCHS will still run the belly,lead, drive, toss, and play action once every third game HAHA. I think JCHS is putting their kids in the best situation to win with the personel they have this year, what more could you ask out of a coach?

 

Good post, do not forget Dials and Grim were on that team too. This years team does not have the individual players that the 06 team did, but I think are stronger as a team. I think this team may be a little quicker across the board, espcially the DBs.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.