Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

CovCath vs. Johnson Central predictions

CovCath vs. Johnson Central who wins! 223 members have voted

  1. 1. CovCath vs. Johnson Central who wins!

    • CovCath
      36%
      82
    • Johnson Central
      63%
      141

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

To the Johnson Central fans: Is this year's team better than the 2006 team?

 

I'm curious to hear this answer myself.

 

I think the two teams are very comparable. The QB Dillon seems to run the Bone a little better than Ratliff IMO, but doesn't have the arm. Conversely, Ian Welch can make up for the lack of arm with his ability to make circus catches. They don't have the big play ability of Grim, but Richardson/Dillon are more versatile and have the ability to grind out the tough yards. They don't have the standout FB like the Blake Johnson kid was, but I think their o-line is better this season which offsets his lead blocking.

 

Defensively, I would give the edge up front to the 2006 team, but this Eagle team is much more better suited for passing teams as Welch is a top notch DB.

  • Replies 216
  • Views 17k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sniff. I think I just teared up a little bit there. :thumb:

 

There's about thirteen or fourteen times a year I really miss Johnson County, and just about all of them are autumn Friday nights.

 

But the new guy does a good job too on the mic. :thumb:

 

Black Eagle your going to have to come home... You did a great job calling games all those years...

 

If only you could start your practice back in the mountains!!!1:ylsuper:

I'm curious to hear this answer myself.

 

I think the two teams are very comparable. The QB Dillon seems to run the Bone a little better than Ratliff IMO, but doesn't have the arm. Conversely, Ian Welch can make up for the lack of arm with his ability to make circus catches. They don't have the big play ability of Grim, but Richardson/Dillon are more versatile and have the ability to grind out the tough yards. They don't have the standout FB like the Blake Johnson kid was, but I think their o-line is better this season which offsets his lead blocking.

 

Defensively, I would give the edge up front to the 2006 team, but this Eagle team is much more better suited for passing teams as Welch is a top notch DB.

 

 

If the teams are comparable, CovCath may be in for a long night. This year's Colonels don't have the offensive versatility of the 2006 squad or the strength up the middle on defense.

 

Wish I could be there, but I will have to listen in on the web broadcast.

It probably has to do with the schedules that the two teams have played. JC has played no one, at least compared to CCH. It should be a fun one. How far is JC from Lexington?

 

Agreed. Don't tell anyone that I agreed with a Cov Cath fan okay? It can be our little secret.

 

I completely agree that Cov Cath just overscheduled this year and does have a good team but have some young guys that they've asked to grow up pretty quick. I think they have gained some momentum toward the end of the year. I see Cov Cath giving them a great game and JC holding the lead until the 4th quarter when Cov Cath will pull a miracle play, recover a fumble, intercept a pass, or something like they always seem to do.

 

If there's one thing that you can count on with Cov Cath, you can throw the regular season record out the window.

Did a triptix (via AAA.com) from CovCath to JC and I think (off the top of my head) it said 3:20 minutes.... or something near that.

 

I do know that CovCath is trying to see how much interest there is in renting some buses to drive down. I have seen a cost of $30.00 a head for the round trip drive via the bus....

 

Some good info for our Cov Cath fans...at the end of the Mountain Parkway.

Edited by mcpapa
R6

IMG_0558.gif

 

This is a picture of the New Johnson Central football field. Gone is the grass replaced by Turf and it's look like the old seating section directly behind the school is gone also. The one thing I remember is how good the food smelled and tasted that night!

 

Any better Pictures JC fans?

 

Any word on how the field, stands, concession stand, dressing rooms, weight room, etc. were funded? Is there a significant Booster group?

Any word on how the field, stands, concession stand, dressing rooms, weight room, etc. were funded? Is there a significant Booster group?

JC fans will have to confirm this, but I am pretty sure it was funded by Coal Severance Money.

Some good info for our Cov Cath fans...at the end of the Mountain Parkway.

 

 

Paintsville is dry. All of Johnson County as well. You won't find so much as an Applebee's serving by the drink, and we don't even have a CVS store in the first place. Salyersville, at the end of the Mountain Parkway, is not. So you better stock up before you cross the county line if you think you need something to either celebrate or drown your sorrows after the game!

Edited by mcpapa

I don't think anyone has to worry about the Cov Cath fans. From what I've seen, they pack in their own beverages, even if the game is two miles down the street!!

I'm curious to hear this answer myself.

 

I think the two teams are very comparable. The QB Dillon seems to run the Bone a little better than Ratliff IMO, but doesn't have the arm. Conversely, Ian Welch can make up for the lack of arm with his ability to make circus catches. They don't have the big play ability of Grim, but Richardson/Dillon are more versatile and have the ability to grind out the tough yards. They don't have the standout FB like the Blake Johnson kid was, but I think their o-line is better this season which offsets his lead blocking.

 

Defensively, I would give the edge up front to the 2006 team, but this Eagle team is much more better suited for passing teams as Welch is a top notch DB.

 

I agree with everything that is said here. Welch is a 1st team allstater and a legimate D1 propspect. I think Tanner Bratten is approaching Blake Johnson and is just a soph. This is a no frills smash-mouth team with good speed at the skill positions.

 

JC fans we are kidding ourselves if we think CC will not be a tough game. From this point on the Eagles must put thier "A" game on every Friday Night. Just ask Highlands.

JC fans will have to confirm this, but I am pretty sure it was funded by Coal Severance Money.

 

Coal Severence money footed alot of the bill. The JC system is ranked at the top in KY in test scores and the system is very sound financially.

 

As a JC fan it has been a privaledge to see this football program grow. Just a few years back we were the doormat of the mountains. Now we feel we can line up and play with any team in the state. JC has had a good administration and great coaching ( and alot of money).

To the Johnson Central fans: Is this year's team better than the 2006 team?

 

It will look vaguely similar to what you saw in 2006, but there will be noticeable differences.

 

This team doesn't pass as well as in 2006, but the backs are bigger and run harder on the average and the QB is more mobile, although there is nothing like Blake Johnson at FB (who was the big fullback CCH couldn't stop in the 2006 game until he went out with a second-half injury). The offensive lines are comparable, I think.

 

The defense is not quite as strong against the run as in 2006, and the big-hit linebackers like Michael Tackett aren't there. The defensive backs are probably a little better against the pass, and the defensive team speed is better across the board. You're probably better off running up the middle than to the corners on this Central defense, which is the reverse of 2006, where CCH wore us out with the pass in the first half and then rushing toward the corners in the second half.

 

Our place kicking game is not quite as strong as in it was in 2006. Barrett could put kickoffs near the endzone then, and now our kickoffs are generally squibs or onside. Welch is a decent mountain high school mountain punter. Welch and Hall are solid kick returners and could make some plays if the defense can make some stops. Our freshman kicker is accurate on PATs, but don't expect any FG attempts.

 

This team probably has a better turnover margin than in 2006. The fumbles have been greatly reduced with Dillon handling the football, and the defense has come through with quite a few recoveries and interceptions this season.

 

All in all, probably the two years' teams are within a touchdown of each other ability-wise. That's my humble opinion, having seen both years' teams play (although not nearly as much this year as I'd like).

Edited by Black Eagle
completeness

It will look vaguely similar to what you saw in 2006, but there will be noticeable differences.

 

This team doesn't pass as well as in 2006, but the backs are bigger and run harder on the average and the QB is more mobile, although there is nothing like Blake Johnson at FB (who was the big fullback CCH couldn't stop in the 2006 game until he went out with a second-half injury). The offensive lines are comparable, I think.

 

The defense is not quite as strong against the run as in 2006, and the big-hit linebackers like Michael Tackett aren't there. The defensive backs are probably a little better against the pass, and the defensive team speed is better across the board. You're probably better off running up the middle than to the corners on this Central defense, which is the reverse of 2006, where CCH wore us out with the pass in the first half and then rushing toward the corners in the second half.

 

Our place kicking game is not quite as strong as in it was in 2006. Barrett could put kickoffs near the endzone then, and now our kickoffs are generally squibs or onside. Welch is a decent mountain high school mountain punter. Welch and Hall are solid kick returners and could make some plays if the defense can make some stops. Our freshman kicker is accurate on PATs, but don't expect any FG attempts.

 

This team probably has a better turnover margin than in 2006. The fumbles have been greatly reduced with Dillon handling the football, and the defense has come through with quite a few recoveries and interceptions this season.

 

All in all, probably the two years' teams are within a touchdown of each other ability-wise. That's my humble opinion, having seen both years' teams play (although not nearly as much this year as I'd like).

 

 

Thanks for the reply. After getting off track earlier in the thread, it's fun to actually talk football.

As for the comments in re JC's schedule, I agree that it wasn't as tough as CovCath's; then again, no one's was. Nonetheless, JC played a pretty good schedule. They played and beat Breathitt Co (a very good 3A team sporting a 9-2 record to date), Bryan Station and Ashland. They played played and lost to Belfry in what was a pretty close game. So they had 4 quality opponents on their schedule this year.

The 2006 Johnson Central vs. Cov. Cath. playoff game was one of the most enjoyable sporting events I have ever attended. The J.C. fans were extremely gracious hosts. The pre-game entertainment included the J.C. chorus performing an excellent rendition of My Old Kentucky Home. The national anthem was sung magnificently by an enormous J.C. lineman in full uniform (excepting the helmet, of course). And, who can forget the theme from Deliverance being blasted out just before the kick-off over a concert quality sound system to the enjoyment and humor of the hosts and their guests. The competition on the field after the kickoff was even better. Cov. Cath. won somewhat comfortably but I recall a battering-ram running back for J.C. running wild through the Colonels' line before going down fairly early in the game with a knee injury. If he had stayed healthy the game would have been much tighter. I am afraid the Colonels might be a bit over-matched this Friday. Look for J.C. to even the playoff tally against the Colonels with a 15 to 20 point victory.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.