Obama's 'emergency' economic plan...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:laugh: Those are tough stands that are unpopular with his supporters and his party? :lol::lol::lol:

Sorry. I just realized that you may have meant to post Obama's pandering list, in which case...all I can say...is great job!

It wouldn't matter what Obama supported or proposed, you would find something wrong with it...I gave you a list of his positions and stances he has made.

It wouldn't matter what Obama supported or proposed, you would find something wrong with it...I gave you a list of his positions and stances he has made.
Yes you certainly did. You gave me a list of positions that Obama has taken that have been extremely popular among left-wingers. However, the list that I asked for was one showing the politically courageous positions that Obama has taken that were not popular among his supporters - the kind of positions that McCain has taken that has irritated the majority of members of his own party. Where is that list?

The positions Obama has adopted recently are squarely aimed at peeling off a few moderate and independent votes from McCain. Very few liberals believe that Obama has actually morphed into a moderate. They expect him to resume pandering to the left as soon as he has been elected.

And of course McCain didn't flip flop when he changed his position on off shore drilling just a few months ago?

I'd rather have a president who can re-examine issues and change positions, compromise if necessary, then one who stubbornly refuses to change position, no matter what.

I believe the only thing McCain is consistent at, is flip flopping.

Yes you certainly did. You gave me a list of positions that Obama has taken that have been extremely popular among left-wingers. However, the list that I asked for was one showing the politically courageous positions that Obama has taken that were not popular among his supporters - the kind of positions that McCain has taken that has irritated the majority of members of his own party. Where is that list?

The positions Obama has adopted recently are squarely aimed at peeling off a few moderate and independent votes from McCain. Very few liberals believe that Obama has actually morphed into a moderate. They expect him to resume pandering to the left as soon as he has been elected.

Since when was that the goal?

You may be unaware of this fact, but leasing additional acres of oil reserves will require an act of Congress or else it will have to wait until the current prohibition expires on September 30. Now the ball is in the Democrats court and Nancy Pelosi are still demagoguing this issue.

This is the one issue that could suddenly reverse Republican fortunes this fall. If McCain and the Republicans can educate the American public well enough so that they understand that it is the Democrats who are working to lock in high energy prices, then Obama's popularity will tumble.

To blame Bush and the Republicans for restricting domestic oil production when Reid, Pelosi, and Obama are chanting the "We can't drill our way out of this crisis!" is a real hoot. :lol:

Read my post more carefully. If, as some are claiming, Bush's lifting of the executive ban on offshore drilling truly played a major role in oil's recent $20 price drop, then it is legitimate to ask why it took him so long to do something that required no effort, no lead time, no thought and had a major effect on the price of energy for millions of Americans. You can't have it both ways. If you think the largely symbolic lifting of the executive ban moved the markets to a lower price, why aren't you questioning why it took Bush so long to do something that requires about 5 minutes?

The honest fact is that this little exercise in political theatre played no role in the price change.

Since when was that the goal?
I never said it was but the fact is if an elected official strives to do the right thing instead of the popular thing, he or she will periodically upset their own supporters.

Even though Obama has recently begun flip flopping to positions more palatable to moderates, his conversion has not been convincing enough to worry his base. The believe, as I do, that Obama can be trusted to implement far left wing policies regardless of what promises he makes to moderates between now and the election.

Read my post more carefully. If, as some are claiming, Bush's lifting of the executive ban on offshore drilling truly played a major role in oil's recent $20 price drop, then it is legitimate to ask why it took him so long to do something that required no effort, no lead time, no thought and had a major effect on the price of energy for millions of Americans. You can't have it both ways. If you think the largely symbolic lifting of the executive ban moved the markets to a lower price, why aren't you questioning why it took Bush so long to do something that requires about 5 minutes?

The honest fact is that this little exercise in political theatre played no role in the price change.

Read my posts more carefully. Bush's action sets up a dramatic showdown between now and September 30 that will very likely result in additional reserves being opened up for domestic drilling. The fact that cracks are forming in the coalition supporting policies that support high oil prices is beginning to have an impact on prices. IMO, it is no longer a question of whether Democrats will capitulate on this issue but the scope of the concessions that they will make before the election.