Seeking BGP Advice

thegooch

I know that this board usually dishes out a lot of good advice, so I thought I would ask.

As most of you know I attend the University of the Cumberland's, which most of you know isn't the cheapest school to go too. Some things happened this summer which have put me to the point where I might have to withdrawal, and attend a state school, just to save money(I am a self supporter).

Do you all think going from a private to a state school is washing out, or a failure?

What state schools would you suggest?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve jobs no clue

Kind of makes my point.

To me, a college degree is a college degree. I know more successful people who went to Campbellsville than UK. I know more people who made more from their lives who went to Western Kentucky than Vanderbilt. I wouldn't worry about it

Kind of makes my point.

To me, a college degree is a college degree. I know more successful people who went to Campbellsville than UK. I know more people who made more from their lives who went to Western Kentucky than Vanderbilt. I wouldn't worry about it

Thanks! Would anyone here recommend any state schools from their experience?

Do you all think going from a private to a state school is washing out, or a failure?

Are you serious? Would that mean that everyone that goes to a state school or (heaven forbid) a technical school is a failure? Personally, I think going to a school that you can't afford is absurd. Do you really think that your $13,000 tuition is giving you that much better of an education than say $5,000 EKU? Seriously dude, you're attending a religous college of a religion you don't exactly agree with and paying twice as much as you could be paying. Only trust babies feel like they have to attend a private school.

Are you serious? Would that mean that everyone that goes to a state school or (heaven forbid) a technical school is a failure? Personally, I think going to a school that you can't afford is absurd. Do you really think that your $13,000 tuition is giving you that much better of an education than say $5,000 EKU? Seriously dude, you're attending a religous college of a religion you don't exactly agree with and paying twice as much as you could be paying. Only trust babies feel like they have to attend a private school.

I am by no means a trust baby. I was just always told that private schools always look better than public schools.

I am by no means a trust baby. I was just always told that private schools always look better than public schools.

On your resume? You have to remember one thing about resumes. You only list the school you got your degree(s) from. And most HR and hiring managers didn't attend private undergrad schools.

One other suggestion. If you are considering a field or job where a prestigous college may look good on a resume, I would make that private school the last school you graduate from. For example, if its important to get a BS from a private college, get you early years out of the way at a more economical college. If you need a prestigous advanced degree, say a law degree or other graduate degree, get your bachelors at a state college, graduate with honors, then apply to the top end grad program.

The worst mistake a student can make is to spend more on a degree than it is ever going to be worth to you.

On your resume? You have to remember one thing about resumes. You only list the school you got your degree(s) from. And most HR and hiring managers didn't attend private undergrad schools.

One other suggestion. If you are considering a field or job where a prestigous college may look good on a resume, I would make that private school the last school you graduate from. For example, if its important to get a BS from a private college, get you early years out of the way at a more economical college. If you need a prestigous advanced degree, say a law degree or other graduate degree, get your bachelors at a state college, graduate with honors, then apply to the top end grad program.

The worst mistake a student can make is to spend more on a degree than it is ever going to be worth to you.

I plan on going to medical school. So you are saying that a state college would be better and more economical for these plans.

Picking the right school for you, would be the wise choice.

I was really hoping to hear what people had to say about some state schools we have in the commonwealth.

Not that all the other advice isnt good...

I plan on going to medical school. So you are saying that a state college would be better and more economical for these plans.

IMO YES! Medical school is going to cost a fortune and it will be some years before you make your own fortune. Go to a state school with the goal of graduating summa cum laude. I would suggest a major in chemistry. You'll need some biology, but in all honesty, they're not real crazy about biology majors. What they are looking for is the well rounded student of excellence. You'll need biology, physics, and chemistry. Good performance in math, psychology and the humanities will help you get the :thumb: you need.

And remember where the only two medical schools in Kentucky are located: UL and UK.

IMO YES! Medical school is going to cost a fortune and it will be some years before you make your own fortune. Go to a state school with the goal of graduating summa cum laude. I would suggest a major in chemistry. You'll need some biology, but in all honesty, they're not real crazy about biology majors. What they are looking for is the well rounded student of excellence. You'll need biology, physics, and chemistry. Good performance in math, psychology and the humanities will help you get the :thumb: you need.

And remember where the only two medical schools in Kentucky are located: UL and UK.

Sounds Good. Thanks for the advice. Just a note that I am a declared Bio/Religion Major.

Going to a state school is NOT washing out. I know people who have gone to Murray, Western, Eastern, Northern, Morehead, Louisville, and my Alma Mater UK. All who have gone on to be very successful. To me the biggest difference between state and privates is that the privates really do care weather you graduate, where as, at most state schools, you're a number.

What it boils down to is you have to take responsibility for education. The biggest plus of the state schools is they have so much more to offer, but you have to seek it out. You seem like the type that takes his education seriously, you should do fine. If you don't like the idea of going to one of the big schools Murray is an excellent school. They have the feel of a private school, but at state prices.

Oddly enough, the EKU people I know don't recommend EKU. All of the others that I know do recommend their school. I of course believe UK is a great place to get an education.

IMO, if you want to be a doctor. UK and UofL are the two best places to be.

The only way you would be washing out is by not finishing.