Seeking BGP Advice

thegooch

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would recommend Morehead State University and the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity :thumb: Good luck. I pray it all works out for you.

Thanks I hope it works out too. It is only in the past few days did I find out the money was not going to be there. Now I am scrambling to get a school:creepy:

If finances is an issue, you may look at Berea College.

EVERY STUDENT gets a full ride in regards to tuition.

What you pay for room and board is based on what you can financially afford to pay.

I never paid more than $2,000 a year and that was for EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks I hope it works out too. It is only in the past few days did I find out the money was not going to be there. Now I am scrambling to get a school:creepy:

If it makes you feel any better, I rolled into Morehead with about $0.50 in my pocket. I crashed in a dorm with some friends for a few weeks and got a job at Shoney's. I took my first check and got an apartment and then stayed there for the duration.

I know that this board usually dishes out a lot of good advice, so I thought I would ask.

As most of you know I attend the University of the Cumberland's, which most of you know isn't the cheapest school to go too. Some things happened this summer which have put me to the point where I might have to withdrawal, and attend a state school, just to save money(I am a self supporter).

Do you all think going from a private to a state school is washing out, or a failure?

What state schools would you suggest?

I don't think it's washing out at all. It's tough to afford a private school. You are a medicine major, right?

Going to school in Lexington or Louisville would probably be good for several reasons:

Close to campus housing that's cheaper than dorm accommodations

Jobs in the area

Both have medical schools you could go right into

Of course, I'm partial to Louisville. :D

If you're looking for a good, part time job, or need benefits, may I suggest Starbucks as a consideration? :lol:

Or, if you REALLY want a great option, get on at UPS. Work part time, and have them pay for your school.

Seriously though, as a plus for Louisvlle, JCTS also offers an option for you that you may want to consider for economical reasons. They're part of Metroversity system, and if you plan carefully you can take pretty much all of your GenEd requirements there and have them transfer to UL or UK.

I wish you luck. I know it's hard to think about switching, though.

I plan on going to medical school. So you are saying that a state college would be better and more economical for these plans.

If you are planning on going to Medical School, go to UL. They have a great pre-med and medical program and cost much less than the private colleges. This would be my choice.

Mark Elliot Zuckerberg attended Phillips Exeter Academy where he was a resident of Browning House and was recruited by both Microsoft and AOL in his senior year due to a hacking project. Instead, he opted to attend Harvard University.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Zuckerberg#Early_life

Well, shoot! SOMEBODY was a HS dropout and made it big in internet/computers/software.

Well, shoot! SOMEBODY was a HS dropout and made it big in internet/computers/software.

Philip Emeagwali....supercomputer scientist; one of the pioneers of the Internet (high-IQ high-school dropout; left school in native Nigeria due to war conditions and lack of tuition money; continued to study on his own and earned an equivalency diploma; later won a scholarship to Oregon College of Education in the United States; transferred after one year to Oregon State University)

http://www.education-reform.net/dropouts2.htm

Other famous H.S. dropouts...

Albert Einstein

George Carlin

Jim Carrey

Tom Cruise

Michael J. Fox

Peter Jennings

Dave Thomas

Uma Thurman

Quentin Tarantino

John Tavoltta

There are at least 18 billionaires that dropped out of high school, as well as 10 Nobel prize winners, 8 U.S. presidents and dozens of best-selling authors. Even Mensa, the high-IQ group, has some high school dropouts among its ranks.

http://www.increasebrainpower.com/high-school-dropouts.html

Oddly enough, the EKU people I know don't recommend EKU. All of the others that I know do recommend their school. I of course believe UK is a great place to get an education.

IMO, if you want to be a doctor. UK and UofL are the two best places to be.

The only way you would be washing out is by not finishing.

This EKU graduate does reccomend EKU...

But to be honest for the creator of the thread: I have alot of friends who have attended schools from all across the state of Kentucky public and private alike. The general consensus is those I know who went to a private sometimes wish they went to a public and vice versa. If you are planning on going to med school I STRONGLY reccomend UK or UL, in fact there is a large portion of students who transfer their Senior year to those schools to have the benefit of applying as an in-house student and havign a year to network with professors and administrators.

When you get outside of the state of Kentucky that "private school" distinction really disappears in the job market. Some may disagree with this, but if you applied for a job in Nashville and you graduated from Transy, it probably would hold LESS water than a degree from UK and it's universal name notoriety.