Seeking BGP Advice

thegooch

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you looked into Pikeville College, good financial money available there plus Med school and a chance to intern all in the same area. I know a lot of people and my friends who love the college just for medicine.

Have you looked into Pikeville College, good financial money available there plus Med school and a chance to intern all in the same area. I know a lot of people and my friends who love the college just for medicine.

My doctor graduated from there, and I think he is a good one. From all that I have heard, P-ville has got a top notch med. program.

I know that this board usually dishes out a lot of good advice, so I thought I would ask.

As most of you know I attend the University of the Cumberland's, which most of you know isn't the cheapest school to go too. Some things happened this summer which have put me to the point where I might have to withdrawal, and attend a state school, just to save money(I am a self supporter).

Do you all think going from a private to a state school is washing out, or a failure?

What state schools would you suggest?[/QUOTE]

UK

I know that this board usually dishes out a lot of good advice, so I thought I would ask.

As most of you know I attend the University of the Cumberland's, which most of you know isn't the cheapest school to go too. Some things happened this summer which have put me to the point where I might have to withdrawal, and attend a state school, just to save money(I am a self supporter).

Do you all think going from a private to a state school is washing out, or a failure?

What state schools would you suggest?

I sure hope I haven't thrown away 30+ grand over the past five years to be a failure:eek:.... jk

But in all seriousness this kinda thing happens all of the time to college students. If your withdrawment is strictly for financial purposes, and not because of that cute girl you met over the summer(which I doubt, otherwise you'd be enrolling at her school), and it's not because you drink too much down at cumberland(which I doubt sense it's a dry part of ky,... though I know several that drink there regardless), and it's not because you just feel you can't hack it. Then I see nothing wrong with it.

Especially the way the economy is currently, not a debbie downer, and not one to gloom and doom you, but avoiding any debt that's not essential at this point, is definitely a smart move in my opinion.:thumb:

On the flip side, if you are always going to regret switching schools, and think you may feel as though you sold yourself short, then stay put.

Anyone have any info on WKU?

I know 7 WKU grads and 3 current students. One of my son's looked at WKU very hard before choosing UK. He too, wants to be a doctor. In the end, he felt the networking from being at UK was too big a plus to overlook.

It is a great "student life" campus. The campus is very well designed and is student friendly. There seems to be a high level of involvement between current students and Alumni. I can't really describe it, but there is a certain comfort feeling to the campus.

~12,500 students last time I looked.

The folks I know would highly recomend WKU.

I love the University of Kentucky. There are enough classes and sections that you can be very flexible if you have a rigid work schedule. Room and board is expensive on campus, but not too bad off campus.

But I know how much credibility I have in your eyes :lol:

Gooch, before leaving Cumberlands, make a phone call to your financial aid office and explain that due to unforeseen circumstances, you as an independent student may not be able to return in the fall. There is always more aid money available and they do not want to lose students. If they can help you, they will. I would also call the financial aid offices of other schools on this board and see what they have to offer you. The most important thing tho...is to finish school and get your degree, whether it be a public or a private university. Good Luck!

Gooch, before leaving Cumberlands, make a phone call to your financial aid office and explain that due to unforeseen circumstances, you as an independent student may not be able to return in the fall. There is always more aid money available and they do not want to lose students. If they can help you, they will. I would also call the financial aid offices of other schools on this board and see what they have to offer you. The most important thing tho...is to finish school and get your degree, whether it be a public or a private university. Good Luck!

I have tried that...Believe me. I spent most of this summer working my tail off to pay them what I owed them for last semester. Starting this spring I will be declared an Independent student, even though I support myself I still had to use my dad's tax return this time around. He made more money than he did last year, hence I get less aid.

If you're interested in going to medical school, I would recommend The University of Kentucky. I'm not an expert on the subject, but have had quite a few friends who are interested in the medical profession comment on UK's abillity in that regard. They're a very good pharmacy school and there are multiple hospitals on / near Kentucky's campus.

While this is a negative to most students (lots of sirens, outside traffic) it is undoubtedly a positive for those in the medical profession. It allows you to get real, on the job experience at a much earlier stage than other schools & cities can offer.