"Plutoid" - a new word

Granted, I may be the only BGPer that cares...but just in case:

The former planet Pluto has now been put into the new category of solar system objects to be known as "plutoids". http://www.iau.org/public_press/news/release/iau0804/

Oh...and in case you missed it, the 2006 "Word of the Year" was 'plutoed,' which means to be dismissed or demoted.

Guest Bluto
Oh...and in case you missed it, the 2006 "Word of the Year" was 'plutoed,' which means to be dismissed or demoted.

By that definition I've been "Plutoed" all my life... :irked: :D

Pluto has a natural orbit and its own satellite. Its a planet, I don't care what the 'scientists' say. Size isn't everything.

Actually, it has three moons now - add Nix and Hydra to Charon. They are tiny, compared to the size relationship between Pluto and Charon, though.

I sort of agree, Hearsay...but, the way I look at it...changing it's name does not make it any less (or more) important - a rose by any other name smells as sweet.

So are all the objects in the Kupier Belt also plutoids? And what was wrong with the term dwarf planet?

According to the story, they have only given the term to Pluto and Eris. I'm not sure what is wrong with "dwarf planet." I'm afraid we are getting too many classes of objects...and and not covinced of the importance of all the separate categories.

According to the story, they have only given the term to Pluto and Eris. I'm not sure what is wrong with "dwarf planet." I'm afraid we are getting too many classes of objects...and and not covinced of the importance of all the separate categories.

I've been told that 'dwarf' is very politically incorrect. They wanted to give Pluto a new exotic name rather than make him feel bad by calling him a dwarf.

How about Plutarch's?