2008 Harlan County

I stayed up way too late reading old posts. I've missed so much, but am here now! I hope this "big announcement" is about a field also, but if this is in reference to a city/county bowl then I have an opinion about it.

When I was a child, my brother and sisters would go trick-or-treating with those big orange pumpkins and go from house to house like kids do. When we got home, one of my sisters would say, "Hey, I got a great idea! Let's poor all our candy into one pot!" Guess what? Then she would get to eat all the homemade candy, all the Reece Cups, popcorn balls, ect. We would get the black licorice.:cry:

"Hey, HCHS, let's have a bowl game and we will make a lot of money for the whoooooooole county!":rolleyes: Really? How 'bout you eat what's in your pumpkin and we eat what's in ours?!

It is absolutely Coach Larkey's decision who he will schedule his games with. Our coach has already arranged a series with Bell Co. for the next couple of years which will be a HUGE gate. The city folks are invited to attend. Coach Larkey might schedule a city/county bowl game, but it won't be because he needs the money for HIS program. IMO, ego's should have been laid aside THIS year for a game to happen. Why wait 3 years? We needed games this year from the 5th grade up. Where was the love then? It's the same old song and dance. Why can't we just all get along and do what's best for the children (As LONG AS IT IS ON MY TERMS)? Regardless, Coach Larkey will make the right decision based on his experience and wisdom. Can you feel the love now?!

I am so hopeful and optimistic for this new program!

Go Black Bears!

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do agree on two points of your post, (1) I am optimistic for this program to have success, (2) Coach Larkey is a wise and a true leader and will make the right decisions concerning the program. Other than those two things your responce is generally what makes Harlan Co the place that it is, the I'll take mine and you take yours attitude is why we are the county that has more needs than anyother county in Kentucky. This attitude is why the building of this school was delayed and the cost went to almost double and now you are left with no athletic fields that you can call your own. Also you crack about the city folk, HHS has ben around for over eighty years and is not going anywhere it is what it is a class A school with close to 300 students in grades 9-12. Finally when you are out trying to get the local business people to support the program remember that they could have kids that go to HISD or be a supporter of the city schools and still might feel compelled to help with fund rasing or to buy ads, so your idea of your either with us or in the way might offend some people that may only want to help.

I stayed up way too late reading old posts. I've missed so much, but am here now! I hope this "big announcement" is about a field also, but if this is in reference to a city/county bowl then I have an opinion about it.

When I was a child, my brother and sisters would go trick-or-treating with those big orange pumpkins and go from house to house like kids do. When we got home, one of my sisters would say, "Hey, I got a great idea! Let's poor all our candy into one pot!" Guess what? Then she would get to eat all the homemade candy, all the Reece Cups, popcorn balls, ect. We would get the black licorice.:cry:

"Hey, HCHS, let's have a bowl game and we will make a lot of money for the whoooooooole county!":rolleyes: Really? How 'bout you eat what's in your pumpkin and we eat what's in ours?!

It is absolutely Coach Larkey's decision who he will schedule his games with. Our coach has already arranged a series with Bell Co. for the next couple of years which will be a HUGE gate. The city folks are invited to attend. Coach Larkey might schedule a city/county bowl game, but it won't be because he needs the money for HIS program. IMO, ego's should have been laid aside THIS year for a game to happen. Why wait 3 years? We needed games this year from the 5th grade up. Where was the love then? It's the same old song and dance. Why can't we just all get along and do what's best for the children (As LONG AS IT IS ON MY TERMS)? Regardless, Coach Larkey will make the right decision based on his experience and wisdom. Can you feel the love now?!

I am so hopeful and optimistic for this new program!

Go Black Bears!

I love this gal... are you married? lol Well said Mama Bear...:dancingpa:banana::thumb:

Edited by CabinOnTheHill

Bayshore, Lungbuster has plenty of friends on here. I think you are the outcast on this thread. Anyway, I too feel the same as Mama Bear, I feel it time the County looks out for itself for one time and not worry about keeping the City up. I vote no city/county bowl. My suggestion was call Bell County and have a County/County bowl. Have two very good teams come in and rotate the games and sites. One year at Harlan County the next at Bell County and so on.

"You're either in or in the way" ------is words to a song which is why I put them in quotes. That reference was towards the players pushing each other to be better, trying your best or staying at home. "I don't wanna stop"-Ozzy Osborne

Geez all I did was state my opinion on why I thought a city/county bowl wasn't an absolutley good idea for the Black Bear football program. As far as local business are concerned, they do business with everybody in the whole county. That would mean the 1400 in the high school and the 8 county grade schools/middle schools. Anytime I have ever asked anybody to donate or help out I always remind them that with this consolidation they will only be hit with two high schools intead of four. I wouldn't want anybody left out. People and businesses have been overwhelmingly supportive. These businesses know that it is about the kids. We need to be sure and patron these businesses that give a portion of their hard earnings. On a person note, I have recently started doing business with a business because of their super support. It's just good business.

You took what I said out of context because you don't agree me and are trying to make something I said into a negative. I'm all about da BEARS! Staying positive, feeling the love! I just stated why I'm a no sell on the city/county bowl. I'm sorry I struck such a nerve with you. My apologies if I hurt your feelings. As I said before, it ain't up to me anyhow.

Still praying that football field/stadium.

And Bayshore, after reading alot of your old posts, I will tell you that you and I are more than likely gonna disagree on alot of things and that's O.K. This is a message board that people can posts their thoughts and perspectives on. I promise I will never intentionally try to be disrespectful to you and I hope you will afford me the same courtesy. If I am ever wrong I will try to own it. I am passionate about this football program and I CAN NOT WAIT UNTIL FOOTBALL SEASON!!! Go Black Bears!!!!!

"You're either in or in the way" ------is words to a song which is why I put them in quotes. That reference was towards the players pushing each other to be better, trying your best or staying at home. "I don't wanna stop"-Ozzy Osborne

Geez all I did was state my opinion on why I thought a city/county bowl wasn't an absolutley good idea for the Black Bear football program. As far as local business are concerned, they do business with everybody in the whole county. That would mean the 1400 in the high school and the 8 county grade schools/middle schools. Anytime I have ever asked anybody to donate or help out I always remind them that with this consolidation they will only be hit with two high schools intead of four. I wouldn't want anybody left out. People and businesses have been overwhelmingly supportive. These businesses know that it is about the kids. We need to be sure and patron these businesses that give a portion of their hard earnings. On a person note, I have recently started doing business with a business because of their super support. It's just good business.

You took what I said out of context because you don't agree me and are trying to make something I said into a negative. I'm all about da BEARS! Staying positive, feeling the love! I just stated why I'm a no sell on the city/county bowl. I'm sorry I struck such a nerve with you. My apologies if I hurt your feelings. As I said before, it ain't up to me anyhow.

Still praying that football field/stadium.

Great post!

Edited by Ram
Rule 13

And Bayshore, after reading alot of your old posts, I will tell you that you and I are more than likely gonna disagree on alot of things and that's O.K. This is a message board that people can posts their thoughts and perspectives on. I promise I will never intentionally try to be disrespectful to you and I hope you will afford me the same courtesy. If I am ever wrong I will try to own it. I am passionate about this football program and I CAN NOT WAIT UNTIL FOOTBALL SEASON!!! Go Black Bears!!!!!

Getting better all the time! Couldn't agree more Mama Bear!

I do agree on two points of your post, (1) I am optimistic for this program to have success, (2) Coach Larkey is a wise and a true leader and will make the right decisions concerning the program. Other than those two things your responce is generally what makes Harlan Co the place that it is, the I'll take mine and you take yours attitude is why we are the county that has more needs than anyother county in Kentucky. This attitude is why the building of this school was delayed and the cost went to almost double and now you are left with no athletic fields that you can call your own. Also you crack about the city folk, HHS has ben around for over eighty years and is not going anywhere it is what it is a class A school with close to 300 students in grades 9-12. Finally when you are out trying to get the local business people to support the program remember that they could have kids that go to HISD or be a supporter of the city schools and still might feel compelled to help with fund rasing or to buy ads, so your idea of your either with us or in the way might offend some people that may only want to help.

Bayshore, If you are serious about coming together as one I think we can add on to the building at Rosspoint to squeeze 300 more students in up there!

As far as our sports complex, don't fret for poor ole Harlan County because trust me it will be built and it will be as nice as the school itself! Harlan County will be just fine. Trust Me on this one!

Bayshore, If you are serious about coming together as one I think we can add on to the building at Rosspoint to squeeze 300 more students in up there!

As far as our sports complex, don't fret for poor ole Harlan County because trust me it will be built and it will be as nice as the school itself! Harlan County will be just fine. Trust Me on this one!

I am not fretting about the sports complex, I was only pointing out that one of the main reasons that it had to be put on hold was the groups that held pat on not wanting to consolidate in the first place. I also went back on some threads and lungbuster was quoted as saying that the sports complex would be done by this year, and now by next year, I hope that you are right but with the budget situations facing the state and more than likley the county the building of sports facilities would be put on the back burner. If I am wrong then we all can be happy for the kids that it effects.

Getting different points of view is what makes this such a great spot for sports. I am not up on OZZY so if I took your thoughts out of context, my mistake. Your passion for the programs is what needs to happen for this and other programs. Keep posting!

Getting different points of view is what makes this such a great spot for sports. I am not up on OZZY so if I took your thoughts out of context, my mistake. Your passion for the programs is what needs to happen for this and other programs. Keep posting!

Oh now you are to good for Ozzy... what a world we live in..:p

You need to get up to date on your Ozzy!

Now, guess what?! We got our G.W. stimulus check today. YAY! In the spirit of unity and solidarity let us come together as one county and all donate our stimulus checks to buy that new football field/track/stadium. The field might even be ready for the playoffs! How about it?!?

:laugh: Where's all my boys at now?! That really cleared the room. (In the distance I hear crickets)

Just kidding of course. But back to the subject Black Bear Football. When will this dead period be over? What's the plan when they all come back? Who will be at the camp they are attending if anyone?