Bush calls for $770 million in food aid

WASHINGTON - President Bush called on Congress Thursday to approve $770 million to help alleviate dramatically escalating food prices that threaten widespread hunger and increasing social unrest around the world.

In a surprise mid-afternoon appearance at the White House, Bush announced he is asking lawmakers to approve the additional funds for global food aid and development programs. The money is being included in a broader $70 billion Iraq war funding measure for 2009 that the White House sent to Capitol Hill on Thursday.

The United States is the world's largest provider of food aid, delivering more than $2.1 billion to 78 developing countries last year.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24410358/

I'm against it.

Since we are so hated in the world why would anyone want to take anything from us in the first place.

Take care of our own at home first. I really never thought I would say this but it's time for the world that now says thay hate the United States to find out what it would be like if the US turned their back on them.

I would like to see factual documentation that the United States is the largest food provider. We actually lead the world in importing more food into this country then exporting it out.

The upheaval mindset of evilness and social unrest is accrued from the occupancy of the current governmental administration.

Thank goodness we are in an election year and we can finally put an end to the tyranny of the oil mongrels and maybe he can invade is native land in Texas.

Because the by-product of the last two terms is an economy on the brink of disaster, we may never see gas and food prices go down again. Hopefully Clinton or Obama can help to reduce the suffering of millions of Americans.

I would like to see factual documentation that the United States is the largest food provider. We actually lead the world in importing more food into this country then exporting it out.

The upheaval mindset of evilness and social unrest is accrued from the occupancy of the current governmental administration.

Thank goodness we are in an election year and we can finally put an end to the tyranny of the oil mongrels and maybe he can invade is native land in Texas.

Because the by-product of the last two terms is an economy on the brink of disaster, we may never see gas and food prices go down again. Hopefully Clinton or Obama can help to reduce the suffering of millions of Americans.

Only if they lose. Otherwise everyone's tax burden will go up along with prices.

Really? I may be mistaken but I don't think that it is the Democratic party that is occupying the Presidency right now. The Republican party has been very dissappointing over the last 8 years and it's not going to change with McCain.

Who can debate the fact that from 1992-2000 were some of the best years of economic stimuli? Anyone that would want to go through another 4 years of R.R. (Republican Rhetoric) is either very well financed themselves or just really uneducated in matters of the smoke and mirrors of drum beating that plays to the tune of Pro-Life and Morale just to get the majority vote of good hearted people that are being pillaged every which way that you can possibly conceive.

This Food Aid is just another example of a tax burden, who do you think is paying for it?

I'm against it.

Since we are so hated in the world why would anyone want to take anything from us in the first place.

Take care of our own at home first. I really never thought I would say this but it's time for the world that now says thay hate the United States to find out what it would be like if the US turned their back on them.

No offense, but that is a bit of a childish attitude to take. The rest of the world has been discouraged by the erratic, heavy-handed foreign policy of the Bush administration. Quite frankly, from a foreign policy standpoint the U.S. has been acting like a big, bellicose drunk with a gun. As a result, our country has lost some of its stature as a world leader. The rest of the world is hoping the next administration will restore respectability, and wants to see a more collaborative and strategically-minded person in the White House.

I really think now is not the time to employ a "take our marbles and go home" approach to our world relationships.

Really? I may be mistaken but I don't think that it is the Democratic party that is occupying the Presidency right now. The Republican party has been very dissappointing over the last 8 years and it's not going to change with McCain.

Who can debate the fact that from 1992-2000 were some of the best years of economic stimuli? Anyone that would want to go through another 4 years of R.R. (Republican Rhetoric) is either very well financed themselves or just really uneducated in matters of the smoke and mirrors of drum beating that plays to the tune of Pro-Life and Morale just to get the majority vote of good hearted people that are being pillaged every which way that you can possibly conceive.

This Food Aid is just another example of a tax burden, who do you think is paying for it?

People in the higher tax brackets like me that pay the largest amount of taxes in this country. And I'd rather my tax dollars go to poor people in Third World countries that have no opportunity than go for welfare to lazy Americans whom have been granted the opportunity to be extremely successful but have chosen to squander that opportunity. I'm sorry and I know its politically incorrect, but I have little sympathy for people in this country that are on welfare. Call me an uncaring person if you like (I know I'm not as I know the amount of money I contribute to charitable causes each and every year), but I have about zero tolerance for people on welfare in this country other than those mentally incapable of working. People in Third World countries don't have that opportunity.

People in the higher tax brackets like me that pay the largest amount of taxes in this country. And I'd rather my tax dollars go to poor people in Third World countries that have no opportunity than go for welfare to lazy Americans whom have been granted the opportunity to be extremely successful but have chosen to squander that opportunity. I'm sorry and I know its politically incorrect, but I have little sympathy for people in this country that are on welfare. Call me an uncaring person if you like (I know I'm not as I know the amount of money I contribute to charitable causes each and every year), but I have about zero tolerance for people on welfare in this country other than those mentally incapable of working. People in Third World countries don't have that opportunity.

Amen! :thumb:

Howard Dean couldn't have said it better. Talk about fear mongering.

Amen! :thumb:

Thanks for the thumbs up. I'm fully expecting the majority of people responding to my post to filet me like a freshly caught trout. And frankly I don't care. I'd rather every one of my tax dollars go to rebuild Iraq than to lazy Americans.

:thumb:

Thanks for the thumbs up. I'm fully expecting the majority of people responding to my post to filet me like a freshly caught trout. And frankly I don't care. I'd rather every one of my tax dollars go to rebuild Iraq than to lazy Americans.

Who can debate the fact that from 1992-2000 were some of the best years of economic stimuli?

If you are trying to give Clinton credit for that time of economic prosperity (I am not sure if the term stimuli is applicable here?), you probably couldn't be more wrong. It was abnormal that we did not have any recessions during that period, but explainable by the fact that the internet boom occurred. The incredible boost in investment spending by firms (and households) on computers, IT, etc., as well as the thousands (at least) of new internet-based companies, and even including the incredible amount of spending for the Y2K virus (although less important, worth mentioning about how the internet has impacted our economy), is to credit for the lack of recessions. Even if it were a Republican president, I would be saying the same thing.

No offense, but that is a bit of a childish attitude to take. The rest of the world has been discouraged by the erratic, heavy-handed foreign policy of the Bush administration. Quite frankly, from a foreign policy standpoint the U.S. has been acting like a big, bellicose drunk with a gun. As a result, our country has lost some of its stature as a world leader. The rest of the world is hoping the next administration will restore respectability, and wants to see a more collaborative and strategically-minded person in the White House.

I really think now is not the time to employ a "take our marbles and go home" approach to our world relationships.

Offense taken.

Whether you agree with the motives or not Bush did what he thought was in the best interests for the country and he has been pilloried world wide for it. After that reaction I believe that it's time for the US to show the world what it would be like without the US aid that we as tax payers spend billions on. If we're so hated why would anyone want our help anyway?

Quite frankly I don't care who the rest of the world wants to see occupying the White House.