Barbaro

Original Rookie

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's that time of year again, are we going to hear about Barbaro for the rest of our lives? It's very annoying to me. What really gets me is people who all over the country who are still so sad about the situation.

And those folks clearly are not horse racing fans, because if they were, they'd know that scores of horses die each year because of on-track accidents, just like his. It's just part of the game — a sad part, but part of it nonetheless.

And I still say it was extremely cruel to keep that horse alive and suffering for so long in a greedy effort to cash in on potential stud fees. That horse should've been put down right there on the track.

I don't see anything wrong with it at all. It was a very touching story that captured the world's attention for a time. It's still very sad to think about. :cry:

No more sad than the scores of horses every year put down on the track for catastrophic injuries. It shouldn't be a "touching" story; it should be one that makes you angry as hell at the Jacksons for putting the horse through that to try and cash in on stud fees. Especially when you consider that every high-caliber horse like that is handsomely insured.

No more sad than the scores of horses every year put down on the track for catastrophic injuries. It shouldn't be a "touching" story; it should be one that makes you angry as hell at the Jacksons for putting the horse through that to try and cash in on stud fees. Especially when you consider that every high-caliber horse like that is handsomely insured.

Could not possibly agree more with you on this.

It's that time of year again, are we going to hear about Barbaro for the rest of our lives? It's very annoying to me. What really gets me is people who all over the country who are still so sad about the situation.

And those folks clearly are not horse racing fans, because if they were, they'd know that scores of horses die each year because of on-track accidents, just like his. It's just part of the game — a sad part, but part of it nonetheless.

And I still say it was extremely cruel to keep that horse alive and suffering for so long in a greedy effort to cash in on potential stud fees. That horse should've been put down right there on the track.

Amen. I started wondering how cold hearted I was when after the first month I stopped caring and was wondering when he would die. Come on peope holding constant candle light vigils for a freaking horse? Seriously, if you are going to pray for something or someone don't do it over something as trivial as a horse whose only purpose in life is to race and then stud.

Amen. I started wondering how cold hearted I was when after the first month I stopped caring and was wondering when he would die. Come on peope holding constant candle light vigils for a freaking horse? Seriously, if you are going to pray for something or someone don't do it over something as trivial as a horse whose only purpose in life is to race and then stud.

:thumb:

I thought I would be in the minority on this issue and just had to get this off my chest. It drives me crazy!

I think anyone with a heart (and especially true fans of horse racing) would think it was a thousand times more sad! This played out on national television in a quest for the most prestigious prize in all of horse racing.

Whether you want to cynically believe that the owners did not have the horse's best interest at heart, it most certainly was a very touching struggle for survival, that played out over many up and down months of recovery.

I think anyone with a heart (and especially true fans of horse racing) would think it was a thousand times more sad! This played out on national television in a quest for the most prestigious prize in all of horse racing.

Whether you want to cynically believe that the owners did not have the horse's best interest at heart, it most certainly was a very touching struggle for survival, that played out over many up and down months of recovery.

99.99 percent of horses that have an on-track injury such as Barbaro's never leave the track where the injury occurred, except as a corpse. The only reason it was touching is because most people don't realize that any horse suffering an injury such as that should be destroyed immediately in the interest of humaneness and that Barbaro should not have been made to suffer through the Jacksons' "rehab" efforts.

My view has nothing to do with cynicism. Just cold, hard reality. Anybody who knows anything about horses knew there was no way that horse would ever live a healthy life of any kind.

There is a reason that horses have been put down for 100's of years people. There is no getting better!!!!! I have to agree with my buddy on this one. They should have gotten him to a confortable spot and put him down. I was never a fan of this being down on the tract. This was done for $$$$$$$$$$$ let no one tell you different. It was a story but shouldn't have never been one. Other than, on this day a Derby winner was faced with non winning odds after a tragic incedent on the race tract. He was a champion and went out like one. Gods' speed to a great horse.

I am saddened everytime I think about it as well. It's no different than normal people clining on to their sports teams for their happiness, Barbaro provided that for many, many people, and it was sad, I was very, very bothered by what happened to him.

Jim, you are looking through things in a cynic's eye. The Jackson's knew very well, at the very beginning he had maybe a 1% chance of living letting alone being able to mount on two legs...where they initially upset that Barbaro wouldn't be able to breed? Heck yeah, so was I. I love to see Derby winners' offspring, and see what they can do. The Jacksons thought they were doing what's right. If anything Barbaro's death has lead to people looking at the safety of a horse in a much more critical manner. I salute them for that. Also, if the Derby winner were to break down at this year's Preakness (please God no), he won't be put down right there either. That's not the time or place for the horse or the fans.

:thumb:

I thought I would be in the minority on this issue and just had to get this off my chest. It drives me crazy!

You're not alone, it's true that it's a sad story, but that doesn't mean that's all we want to hear about the week of the derby, especially on Saturday.