For those in favor of tax increases....

I am just giving a choice my friend. Wanting to increase everyone's education level, wanting not only the middle class to share the burden of taxes but all classes, without having the excuses that are built in, how is that not caring about the local community.

Things do come at a cost, there has to be a choice, keep all the cars and have no roads, is that logical? Have a job but can not read or write or balance a budget.

Who said anything about the community? You said you caring for the common man. I am the common man. But your solution obviously cares nothing about the common man. The answer to the common man's problems should have to be to make more money. If he made more money he would cease to be the common man. Because you only make $30,000 a year doesn't mean you aren't educated or that you can't read or write. Your solution cares nothing for the common man.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who said anything about the community? You said you caring for the common man. I am the common man. But your solution obviously cares nothing about the common man. The answer to the common man's problems should have to be to make more money. If he made more money he would cease to be the common man. Because you only make $30,000 a year doesn't mean you aren't educated or that you can't read or write. Your solution cares nothing for the common man.

The common man must pay his share along with everyone else. There is no way around that, not if it is a truly fair system. I agree with $30,000 person, they can be educated, read, write and balance a budget (forgot that one;)) I am sure that person is happy with the choice that he or she made. They accept the role as a common citizen and pay an equal amount to ensure that they have roads, their child is educated, have an army to protect them, just like the rich guy and poor guy, because that person is no better than anyone else.

I did make an assumption which you caught me on, I thought people went to school to improve their lives, switch jobs, to have more things, that people in general want not to be a common man, but be that rich guy, so I was trying to clear the hurdles to give the oppertunity to those that want life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

That is all that is really guaranteed in this country a pursuit, not that a person is somehow entitled to being happy. I don't understand my fellow countrymen sometimes with that idealogy, but that is for a different discussion.

Crab fishermen can make over 100,000 in less then a year. Is it because they are blessed or because they work their butts off at the most dangerous job in the world?

They are blessed to have the opportunity to make the choice to work in such a productive field. If they didn't like what they did they could do other things.

Don't my tax dollars go to funding welfare, and other government aided programs? I don't have any thing at stake when it comes to welfare and the like.
Property means nothing to a starving man, your investment in his welfare is in many ways a protection of your own lifestyle.

They are blessed to have the opportunity to make the choice to work in such a productive field. If they didn't like what they did they could do other things.

So, at what point would a higher income individual be taxed enough to make you feel as though they were being taxed fairly?

Why do I have to support others who can't support themselves though?
Because we are social animals and need to live in societies. Should you choose not to support those who don't/can't support themselves you will also be making the choice to invite all the social ills of extreme poverty that we see in the third world.

So, at what point would a higher income individual be taxed enough to make you feel as though they were being taxed fairly?
I don't have a hard number to give you without a reference. Are we talking about a 100,000 per year salary or a 1,000,000, it makes a difference.

I am in favor of imposing income taxes on everybody who currently pays not income taxes. Everybody should contribute to supporting our government, even if the amount is small. Then when Democrats start clamoring for tax cuts for the middle class and "working poor," their words will not be code for increasing the earned income tax credit.

Phase out levels for individuals married filing joint. The first number is when you start losing the deduction/credit. The second number is when you lose it completely.

Tuition and Fees Deduction - $130,000-$160,000 AGI

Student Loan Interest Deduction - $110,000-$140,000 AGI

Education Savings Bond Interest Exclusion - $98,400-$128,400

Hope and Lifetime Learning Credit - $94,000-$114,000

Education Savings Account - $190,000-$220,000

Child Tax Credit - $110,000

Roth IRA - $166,000

Personal Exemptions - $234,600-$357,100

Loss on Rental Real Estate $100,000-$150,000

Itemized Deductions $156,000 (never phases out completely)

Saver's Credit - $52,000

The common man must pay his share along with everyone else. There is no way around that, not if it is a truly fair system. I agree with $30,000 person, they can be educated, read, write and balance a budget (forgot that one;)) I am sure that person is happy with the choice that he or she made. They accept the role as a common citizen and pay an equal amount to ensure that they have roads, their child is educated, have an army to protect them, just like the rich guy and poor guy, because that person is no better than anyone else.

I did make an assumption which you caught me on, I thought people went to school to improve their lives, switch jobs, to have more things, that people in general want not to be a common man, but be that rich guy, so I was trying to clear the hurdles to give the oppertunity to those that want life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

That is all that is really guaranteed in this country a pursuit, not that a person is somehow entitled to being happy. I don't understand my fellow countrymen sometimes with that idealogy, but that is for a different discussion.

Where did I say the common man shouldn't pay his fair share? I don't like paying what I do pay but I realize and understand it is necessary. I just don't feel the government is owed more then their share. In the world you are painting everyone is a CEO and there is no one to clean the floors. It can't work that way. I believe everyone wants a better life and would like to think most have put forth the effort for that better life. But some have given all they have and are doing the best they can.