For those in favor of tax increases....

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At what point would a higher income individual be taxed enough to make you feel as though they were being taxed fairly?
One perspective rarely appreciated by those in the higher tax brackets, is that the state and national infrastructure benefits them at a greater level than those in the lower tax brackets. It is certainly not to say that people haven't earned there money, but that they are greater benefactors of the securities provided by the taxes, the more you have, the greater responsibility you have in maintaining the systems that protect and facilitate your income.

Lets say you own a lemonade stand, your lemonade stand is on the same side walk as a competitors lemonade stand. You put more money into your stand making it more attractive, you provide better lemonade, and are more friendly to your customers. You make twice as much money at your lemonade stand than your competitor. Now the sidewalk is in disrepair, it would be in your interest to pay more to have the sidewalk fixed because you have more to lose than your competitor who isn't getting an equal return on the sidewalk.

With that said I have a hard time crying over CEO millionaires who will make more money getting fired than average American will make in their lifetime, simply because they pay 50% of income in taxes. If you make over a 100,000 in a year you are a blessed individual in some way.

One perspective rarely appreciated by those in the higher tax brackets, is that the state and national infrastructure benefits them at a greater level than those in the lower tax brackets. It is certainly not to say that people haven't earned there money, but that they are greater benefactors of the securities provided by the taxes, the more you have, the greater responsibility you have in maintaining the systems that protect and facilitate your income.

Lets say you own a lemonade stand, your lemonade stand is on the same side walk as a competitors lemonade stand. You put more money into your stand making it more attractive, you provide better lemonade, and are more friendly to your customers. You make twice as much money at your lemonade stand than your competitor. Now the sidewalk is in disrepair, it would be in your interest to pay more to have the sidewalk fixed because you have more to lose than your competitor who isn't getting an equal return on the sidewalk.

With that said I have a hard time crying over CEO millionaires who will make more money getting fired than average American will make in their lifetime, simply because they pay 50% of income in taxes. If you make over a 100,000 in a year you are a blessed individual in some way.

It benefits them at a greater level simply because they take advantage of it at a greater level. To use your lemonade stand example. The kid making more money is only doing so because he worked harder and put more effort into his business.

Crab fishermen can make over 100,000 in less then a year. Is it because they are blessed or because they work their butts off at the most dangerous job in the world?

It benefits them at a greater level simply because they take advantage of it at a greater level. To use your lemonade stand example. The kid making more money is only doing so because he worked harder and put more effort into his business.

Crab fishermen can make over 100,000 in less then a year. Is it because they are blessed or because they work their butts off at the most dangerous job in the world?

:thumb:

Why should I have to pay a higher percentage in taxes than the next guy because I worked my butt off to get where I'm at?

A flat tax is one thing but to support a 10-15% tax increase on middle class leaves me speechless. You can throw around your typical Dem response (see your first paragraph) when wanting to raise taxes but as soon as you start reaching into my pocket we have a problem. Instead of fixing whats broken lets just take more money from the people.

And I love this part...

To make sure I understand this right, in order to make up the money I will lose with your brillient idea here is to go get a second job. So after I work 8 hours I get to leave my first job and go deliver pizza or stock shelves at Wal-Mart. I guess I get to see my wife and daughter for 10 mins in the morning before I have to go to my first job. This is a great plan.

Yes, I know they are typical responses of the Democrate party, caring for the common man, wanting everyone to be educated, wanting our fire and police people to have a good salary, wanting to make sure that our civic workers are paid, wanting better things for the Commonwealth of Kentucky. However, wanting these things come at a cost and I think that a flat tax would be just the cure!

As for the second response, you could get a second job, or a better education, find a better job, work for a promotion, so on and so forth, or do without.

Personal choice... (again another democrate issue, I concede that)

I saw that earlier before I posted. So now the question becomes what is a reasonable rate that everyone has to pay... 10% Federal, 5% state or 10% Federal 10% state.

I appreciate you being willing to throw out some percentages for discussion. Where would you put the capital gains tax at? Just curious.

I appreciate you being willing to throw out some percentages for discussion. Where would you put the capital gains tax at? Just curious.

I have to point this out before I answer your question. The one thing with all of this, is the fact that all people have to pay that is why I think the idea is so appealing. Also, Federal level and state level know exactly how much income they will have every year based upon a census. This would probably end inflation as we know it, cost of living raises from the state and federal employees, which also means though prices would stay the same or the free market would determine the needs and the wants. People would have to make choices, so all the freedom comes back towards the freedom of choice.

Now to answer the question 15% ( I have no idea why :confused::jump:)

Yes, I know they are typical responses of the Democrate party, caring for the common man, wanting everyone to be educated, wanting our fire and police people to have a good salary, wanting to make sure that our civic workers are paid, wanting better things for the Commonwealth of Kentucky. However, wanting these things come at a cost and I think that a flat tax would be just the cure!

As for the second response, you could get a second job, or a better education, find a better job, work for a promotion, so on and so forth, or do without.

Personal choice... (again another democrate issue, I concede that)

You obviously don't care for the common man if you are trying to raise my taxes 10-15%. How is that caring about me?

The bolded part is one of the dumbest things I have read on here. By your logic I should be forced to either get second job/go back to school to get a higher paying job or sell my cars and house because I won't be able to afford them any longer. Again, how is that caring about the common man?

You obviously don't care for the common man if you are trying to raise my taxes 10-15%. How is that caring about me?

The bolded part is one of the dumbest things I have read on here. By your logic I should be forced to either get second job/go back to school to get a higher paying job or sell my cars and house because I won't be able to afford them any longer. Again, how is that caring about the common man?

I am just giving a choice my friend, I understand choices are as you say "dumb" to some and I respect that, to have a desire want more (notice the term want, not a need), that is "dumb" to some as well, ask most clergy men.

However I do take issue with wanting to increase everyone's education level, wanting not only the middle class to share the burden of taxes but all classes, without having the excuses that are built in, how is that not caring about the local community.

Things do come at a cost, there has to be a choice, keep all the cars and have no roads, is that logical? Have a job but can not read or write or balance a budget.