The Economics of Education

I believe both teachers and social workers are underpaid, especially considering the education requirements. Teachers do enjoy benefits rarely found else where: Tenure and early retirement.

I don't put a lot into the correlation between amount of education required and pay for that person.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One problem with you premise is the idea that there is no competition for the school systems. I don't know about Ky but in VA it is as simple as being accredited and non-accredited by the state. If your school falls behind to far in accredidation you can loose control of your school system and/or money from the state.

What I am pointing to is the fact that, in the public school system, it is decided where you go to school based on where you live.

For example, in little Johnny and his parents live in Happyville. The district he lives in is Happyville High. One school district over is Jollyville High. Instead of competing for students, both these schools have students allotted to them based on location.

If they had to compete for students, then they would have an incentive to have better teachers, and therefore the salaries for teachers would be higher to attract better candidates.

I am not sure what a way to fix this is, but if each individual school had some kind of benefit from attracting more students, then they would be inclined to get better teachers.

This study says that beteen 40 and 50% of teachers leave the profession in their first 5 years.

http://www.acorn.org/index.php?id=322

That's a problem especially when you consider the impact pertaining to quality of education being given and the cost to re-train.

Overall how many college graduates change jobs or professions within 5 years of graduating?

For the record, the point of this thread was not "if" they are underpaid. I am going under the assumption that they are underpaid. So the question is "why" they are underpaid. The two are of course related though.

With the amount of education, and their benefit to society, WHY are they underpaid.

"Jobs" would be high. Not sure about "profession."

I don't know either. You have young people graduating college in their early 20's full of vim and vigor for the teaching profession, and life sets in. Pays not that great. I have to get a masters, and I have a better opportunity at business yx, or z. I can see why it happens.

"approximately 1,000 teachers quit each school day"

"retaining teachers is the key to keeping highly qualified teachers in the classroom."

"A pilot study conducted by Barnes, Crowe, and Schaefer (2007) concluded that teacher turnover costs taxpayers $7.3 billion dollars yearly."

I don't know either. You have young people graduating college in their early 20's full of vim and vigor for the teaching profession, and lfe sets in. Pays not that great. I have to get a masters, and I have a better opportunity at business yx, or z. I can see why it happens.

I think you bring up a good point.

They see their classmates making much more than them, they see the # of unpaid hours they spend as a teacher, they see the lack of appreciation and everyone telling them it is their fault as a teacher that schools are failing and they wonder, WHAT THE CRAP AM I DOING IN THIS CAREER.

I could go to another career make more money, be done with my work for the day when I clock out, be more appreciated by managing a McDonald's than I am as a teacher and have less headaches in my life. WHAT THE CRAP AM I DOING AS A TEACHER.

I think you bring up a good point.

They see their classmates making much more than them, they see the # of unpaid hours they spend as a teacher, they see the lack of appreciation and everyone telling them it is their fault as a teacher that schools are failing and they wonder, WHAT THE CRAP AM I DOING IN THIS CAREER.

I could go to another career make more money, be done with my work for the day when I clock out, be more appreciated by managing a McDonald's than I am as a teacher and have less headaches in my life. WHAT THE CRAP AM I DOING AS A TEACHER.

Don't most professions have "unpaid hours?" Mine does.