$100k High School Coach

cshs81

Which in no way represents the amount of days that we 1)are expected to work; 2) actually do work.

For example, parent/teacher conferences are unpaid hours that the schools require us to do but don't get paid for.

You have summer school (8-10 weeks) that teachers (not all but many) work to help students that have failed and are not on track to graduate.

You have summer programs for gifted and talented students to further their education that are/can be 8 to 10 weeks.

You have after school tutoring that occurs 3-4 days a week for those that are failing or need help.

My last year of working with an extracurricular activity, I had 29 nights that I stayed away from home on trips with my students.

Teachers spend hours after school working on FFA, FHA, DECA, FBLA, Yearbook, FCA, and many, many other clubs.

My wife had a 20 minute planning time PER DAY to plan out her teaching for the other 5 hours a day for 30 2nd graders. Hopefully, you will agree that in no way shape or form is it possible to get all of your planning and GRADING done. Guess when that was done. 8 to 11 at night or Sat afternoon or Sunday afternoon into night.

Teachers EASILY put in 60 to 70 hours every week of the school year. Coaches do that in their season but off season their hours don't approach that. They are STILL many but don't approach the work that teachers do.

AND I AM A COACH WHO PUT IN 70 HOURS A WEEK AND WOULD PLAY 80 GAMES IN THE SUMMER.

I did a lot. I know we do a lot. I know who we effect and what we can do for a community.

And it still doesn't match what a teacher does.

I could go on and on and on and on but I won't.

Anyone that thinks that teachers have all this free time, is sadly mistaken.

And still have time to get over 25,000 posts on BGP. You are my new hero.:D

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Teachers EASILY put in 60 to 70 hours every week of the school year. Coaches do that in their season but off season their hours don't approach that. They are STILL many but don't approach the work that teachers do.

So you are working 12-14 hour days every day Monday - Friday.

And you still didn't answer my question about the number of days required by your contract.

"Weightroom coordinator?" That's a paid position? I bet legendary CCH head football coach Lynn Ray didn't make $7k in his 30th year as head coach and, I guess, "weightroom coordinator."

Yes, weightroom coordinator. All created because of today's society. I'm amazed at the number of people that scream foul, etc. about football coaches not having proper instruction on weight lifting techniques but at the same time they balk at the idea of a weight room coordinator. Not to mention that many schools have begun to offer weight training as part of their overall health and physical education curriculum. I would imagine you'd want someone "highly qualified" to lead that area of study.

Lynn Ray was never paid a lot by Covington Catholic high school. That's not to say that he never made more than 7K, he just never got all that money directly from the HS. I'd imagine St. X. and Trinity's coaches are paid in much the same manner.

Some teachers go above and beyond and put in countless amount of hours for their students that they do not get credit for.

Some coaches go above and beyond and put in countless amount of hours for their students that they do not get credit for.

Fact is some teachers do this, some don't. Some coaches do it, some don't. But to say that one is more important than the other is false.

Sorry I know I said I wouldn't post again on this thread but I felt compelled to do so.

Which in no way represents the amount of days that we 1)are expected to work; 2) actually do work.

For example, parent/teacher conferences are unpaid hours that the schools require us to do but don't get paid for.

You have summer school (8-10 weeks) that teachers (not all but many) work to help students that have failed and are not on track to graduate.

You have summer programs for gifted and talented students to further their education that are/can be 8 to 10 weeks.

You have after school tutoring that occurs 3-4 days a week for those that are failing or need help.

My last year of working with an extracurricular activity, I had 29 nights that I stayed away from home on trips with my students.

Teachers spend hours after school working on FFA, FHA, DECA, FBLA, Yearbook, FCA, and many, many other clubs.

My wife had a 20 minute planning time PER DAY to plan out her teaching for the other 5 hours a day for 30 2nd graders. Hopefully, you will agree that in no way shape or form is it possible to get all of your planning and GRADING done. Guess when that was done. 8 to 11 at night or Sat afternoon or Sunday afternoon into night.

AND I AM A COACH WHO PUT IN 70 HOURS A WEEK AND WOULD PLAY 80 GAMES IN THE SUMMER.

I did a lot. I know we do a lot. I know who we effect and what we can do for a community.

And it still doesn't match what a teacher does.

I could go on and on and on and on but I won't.

Anyone that thinks that teachers have all this free time, is sadly mistaken.

I think what your advocating is GOOD teachers, just like others are advocating GOOD coaches. Good coaches and teachers put in tremendous amounts of time working with kids. Both are worth their weight in gold and I certainly wouldn't place one over the other. It is not a competition, it is about helping kids. Whether your a coach or teacher, if you are good at your profession you put in a ton of hours.

So you are working 12-14 hour days every day Monday - Friday.

And you still didn't answer my question about the number of days required by your contract.

I think it is 178.

You missed the part that teachers are working on Sat and Sun, too. We are not tied to that M-F thing.

Also, teachers do not get paid to set up their rooms. You know when the rooms are organized with things on the wall, seats arranged, all that cool stuff in elementary school? They volunteered their time to do all of that. They don't get days or hours to do that.

Anything done to prepare for the first day of school with lesson plans or have your classroom setup............is unpaid time that you did on your own.

LBBC - Just wanted to say that your posts in this thread have been well-stated, articulately and politely presented, and - from my vantage point - dead on. I am a sports nut and fully support and appreciate my school's coaches, but at the end of the day it is my children's teachers and not their head coaches that will give them the skills they need to prosper throughout their lives. Keep up the good work.

I think it is 178.

So teachers salaries are based 82 less days then most workers salaries.

You missed the part that teachers are working on Sat and Sun, too. We are not tied to that M-F thing.

Who is tied to just M-F? I don't know one single teacher who every Sat and Sun for 8 hours.

Also, teachers do not get paid to set up their rooms. You know when the rooms are organized with things on the wall, seats arranged, all that cool stuff in elementary school? They volunteered their time to do all of that. They don't get days or hours to do that.

But you are getting paid for it. You make a 260 day salary to work 178 days.

Anything done to prepare for the first day of school with lesson plans or have your classroom setup............is unpaid time that you did on your own.

I don't doubt some/most teachers work hard and put in alot of hours. I don't buy the argument that teachers put in 60-70 hours per week for 52 weeks. I do believe that there are probalby times where a teacher would put in those kinds of hours. But you will never convince me it's every single week.

I don't doubt some/most teachers work hard and put in alot of hours. I don't buy the argument that teachers put in 60-70 hours per week for 52 weeks. I do believe that there are probalby times where a teacher would put in those kinds of hours. But you will never convince me it's every single week.

Thanks. I was beginning to feel that I was a character in 1984.

I give up. I now have been educated that teachers work as many hours as doctors, even when school is out for the Summer, Holidays and Spring Break.

My children's pediatrician throughout the extent of their life works on Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays. No hospital trips or shifts in there. That is it. Working 3 days a week for the year, she makes as much as I do for the year.

Yes, weightroom coordinator. All created because of today's society. I'm amazed at the number of people that scream foul, etc. about football coaches not having proper instruction on weight lifting techniques but at the same time they balk at the idea of a weight room coordinator. Not to mention that many schools have begun to offer weight training as part of their overall health and physical education curriculum. I would imagine you'd want someone "highly qualified" to lead that area of study.

What are the requirements to be a weightroom coordinator?

Lynn Ray was never paid a lot by Covington Catholic high school. That's not to say that he never made more than 7K, he just never got all that money directly from the HS. I'd imagine St. X. and Trinity's coaches are paid in much the same manner.

If you're saying that Coach Ray was paid by boosters, that would be incorrect.