Would you suppport eliminating Straight Ticket vote buttons?

HHSDad

Should Kentucky eliminate straight-ticket voting at the ballot box?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Should Kentucky eliminate straight-ticket voting at the ballot box?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SO would we next quiz them on their current issues knowledge before allowing them to vote?

I wouldn't mind that either actually. I'd like the voting populace to at least have some knowledge of what they are being asked to vote for before they cast a ballot. I know my views aren't popular and it would never come to pass, but even so I hold to them.

SO would we next quiz them on their current issues knowledge before allowing them to vote?

I don't think that forcing people to take a quiz and eliminating party designations on a ballot are in any way related. That's not a slippery slope; it's a canyon wall.

Interestingly, my mom told me last night that she recused herself from voting in the Agriculture Commissioner's race because she didn't know anything about it. I still can't decide if that's a good or a bad thing.

I don't think that forcing people to take a quiz and eliminating party designations on a ballot are in any way related. That's not a slippery slope; it's a canyon wall.

Voting is a right with very few requirements. By removing the straight ballot button you are essentially saying that a)its wrong and b)we are going to require you to think this through. Where is that written into the voting rules in this country? You take the good with the bad. The good is the rights we have to vote while the bad is that sometimes people who do vote do not vote in a manner when think is befitting the privledge.

Lastly, if I can't stand one party and would NEVER consider voting for them, why make me go through the exercise when I can just hit one button?

Voting is a right with very few requirements. By removing the straight ballot button you are essentially saying that a)its wrong and b)we are going to require you to think this through. Where is that written into the voting rules in this country? You take the good with the bad. The good is the rights we have to vote while the bad is that sometimes people who do vote do not vote in a manner when think is befitting the privledge.

Lastly, if I can't stand one party and would NEVER consider voting for them, why make me go through the exercise when I can just hit one button?

Okay, please tell me what is wrong with B. You're saying that we should allow people to affect the most important decisions in this country without thinking? That is a terrifying thought. People are doing that now and it clearly isn't doing us much good.

Okay, please tell me what is wrong with B. You're saying that we should allow people to affect the most important decisions in this country without thinking? That is a terrifying thought. People are doing that now and it clearly isn't doing us much good.

I am saying that in an ideal world, all voters would think about their vote. It doesn't happen though. We have no requirements written into any of the voting laws . Thus, IMO taking away the straight ticket vote is an attempt to get around the rules. You're saying to the voter "we don't like how you vote so we're going to add some hoops." Why?

I am saying that in an ideal world, all voters would think about their vote. It doesn't happen though. We have no requirements written into any of the voting laws . Thus, IMO taking away the straight ticket vote is an attempt to get around the rules. You're saying to the voter "we don't like how you vote so we're going to add some hoops." Why?

I just want people to be a little more educated on their choices. If that option is not there and you also eliminate all references to parties in the ballot then there are 3 possibilities from my perspective:

1) People will actually educate themselves before they think to cast a ballot(the ideal).

2) People will just pick according to name, leading to absurd results. (a potential disaster, I know).

3) People who refuse to educate themselves will just stay home (also not a bad thing in my estimation).

Not everyone agrees with me, I just can't stand the idea of people who have no idea what the issues are being able to cast a ballot. If you don't know what you are being asked to vote for you shouldn't vote in my opinion. I can't stand the idea of encouraging everyone to vote no matter whether they know what is going on or not.

I have never liked the straight party vote.

However, everybody gets a vote, regardless of how uninformed they are. I have always said that you only need half the vote to get elected and it doesn't matter if it's the intelligent half or the ignorant half.

I just want people to be a little more educated on their choices. If that option is not there and you also eliminate all references to parties in the ballot then there are 3 possibilities from my perspective:

1) People will actually educate themselves before they think to cast a ballot(the ideal).

2) People will just pick according to name, leading to absurd results. (a potential disaster, I know).

3) People who refuse to educate themselves will just stay home (also not a bad thing in my estimation).

Not everyone agrees with me, I just can't stand the idea of people who have no idea what the issues are being able to cast a ballot. If you don't know what you are being asked to vote for you shouldn't vote in my opinion. I can't stand the idea of encouraging everyone to vote no matter whether they know what is going on or not.

Brother , you are 100% correct in your desires. However, you cannot change the rules on requirements to vote. I should be able to vote straight ticket - even without knowing anything about the candidate - if that's my philosophy. You may not like it. I may not like it. It simply doesn't matter. You and I cannot tell someone how to vote, who to vote for, or what criteria to use in coming to their decision. Its one of the most basic rights we have and should not be altered.

Brother , you are 100% correct in your desires. However, you cannot change the rules on requirements to vote. I should be able to vote straight ticket - even without knowing anything about the candidate - if that's my philosophy. You may not like it. I may not like it. It simply doesn't matter. You and I cannot tell someone how to vote, who to vote for, or what criteria to use in coming to their decision. Its one of the most basic rights we have and should not be altered.

But it was altered. Where are political parties in the Constitution? Where is there a constitutional right to vote a straight ticket? These measures were added by parties to make it easier for them to get elected, not to facilitate the decisions of the voters. Removing the straight ticket button erodes no rights.

As long as 37% of registered voters are all that's going to bother with voting, getting a representative Tally on what the "people" are thinking is impossible. If politicians could have it their way, only about a 20% turnout would be great. That way they would only have to convince 10.01% of the voters to cast one their way instead of 18.6%. Casting a party vote is the least of our worries. Until the biggest part of voters start voting, our gripes will fall on deaf ears my friends. Isn't it evident already?

People that are registered to vote and are too lazy to take the time to do it are ignorant, and it sickens me.