Bobby Bowden. Should he hang it up?

Toothpick

Went to the Music City Bowl and had seats behind the Cats bench from where I had a great view with binoculars of the Florida State sidelines. Watched Bowden stand alone the entire game off away from the end where the action was taking place. He did so the entire game never getting involved. Was shocked by his lack of game involvement but thought it must work, after all he has only one a million games. Got home and was reading articles about the Noles in the Orlando paper and discovered that I am not alone in my observations and it seems that the lack of winnng at the normal Florida State clip has many grumbling that the old coach is no longer doing any of the coaching and is just there in namesake trying to outlast Peterno at Penn State. Florida State has even gone so far as to name his replacement when he retires.

Hate to say it but the grumbling fans may be on to somthing, I think he should step down and should have already done so

This sounds a lot like what Penn state wanted 2 years ago, Paterno to step down. Now he is back with more popularity than ever. Neither one do a lot of coaching and there was an article in the paper not so long ago that there are like 6 schools that have already named a replacement for their current head coach. I believe Penn State is one also. They said this would help in recruiting down the road. Bowden should stay as long as he wishes, FSU wouldn't be the team they were without him.

while I was at the game I was talking to fsu fans and they told me before the game he doesn't coach anything. They said he is just there. All the coachs around him do all the work. So saying that j think it is time for him to hang it up.

Too many times great coaches are forced out and leave with bitter feelings. It is understandable from a fans point of view, they just want to win, regardless of whom the coach is. In the case of Paterno and Bowden battling to be the winningest coach ever, I think we fans should just say God Bless each of them. The one that lives the longest will be the winningest coach of all time.

Trust me no college head coach does much unless they also call the games, such as Spurrier. I have been at UK practices and Rich Brooks does as much coaching as me. They are basically figure heads that talk to the media. I think they make decision on going for it or fake punts but most head coaches don't get real involved. Joker Phillips and Steven Brown do most of the work along with Ortemeyer in the special teams. Rich Brooks is more of a spectator, which he put in his dues and now he gets to do those things because he deserves it.

While these coaches that have been mentioned and any head coach for that matter may not have all the responsibility during the games, one should better believe that game planning, practice management, recruiting, and all the other big decisions that go on behind the scenes are a direct result of them. This is much like saying the President of the USA doesn't do much either because of all the cabinet members have the intelligence. However, it all goes through him eventually.

While these coaches that have been mentioned and any head coach for that matter may not have all the responsibility during the games, one should better believe that game planning, practice management, recruiting, and all the other big decisions that go on behind the scenes are a direct result of them. This is much like saying the President of the USA doesn't do much either because of all the cabinet members have the intelligence. However, it all goes through him eventually.

I agree with this but I get the feeling from all I am reading that Bowden has basically handed over the reigns to the offensive coordinator who will be the head coach when Bowden retires. True or not I have no idea

I have to say that Bobby has always been one of my favorites. I never liked FSU but loved some of his interviews. Spurrier once said "Fla will kick FSU's (tail.) Bowden: "It won't be the first time someone kicked our (tail) and won't be the last." When asked about his loss to Penn State and FSU's field goal kicker missing two field goals he said words to the effect: "He did the best he could." A lot of coaches at that moment would have blamed someone for the heartbreaking loss and the obvious culprit. I know this doesn't help losing if you are the team's fans but I always liked him and hope he leaves when he wants to.

I have to say that Bobby has always been one of my favorites. I never liked FSU but loved some of his interviews. Spurrier once said "Fla will kick FSU's (tail.) Bowden: "It won't be the first time someone kicked our (tail) and won't be the last." When asked about his loss to Penn State and FSU's field goal kicker missing two field goals he said words to the effect: "He did the best he could." A lot of coaches at that moment would have blamed someone for the heartbreaking loss and the obvious culprit. I know this doesn't help losing if you are the team's fans but I always liked him and hope he leaves when he wants to.

I agree