Patriots 38 Giants 35

swamprat

BTW I'm not saying this lost the Giants the game, but how did the refs botch so many calls? First they made a TERRIBLE call on one early drive that resulted in a Pats TD. They gave the Pats a second chance with a awful ''illegal contact'' penalty on the Giants. Then they let Wilfork jab Jacobs in the eye with no penalty, then they call a personal foul on the Pats and then all of the sudden change their minds and make up a phantom personal foul on Amani Toomer. I've watched that over and over and Amani did not touch Merriweather. The game may not have been any diifferent had these gone the right way, but come on refs...you don't have to make it so easy on the Pats lol.

BTW I'm not saying this lost the Giants the game, but how did the refs botch so many calls? First they made a TERRIBLE call on one early drive that resulted in a Pats TD. They gave the Pats a second chance with a awful ''illegal contact'' penalty on the Giants. Then they let Wilfork jab Jacobs in the eye with no penalty, then they call a personal foul on the Pats and then all of the sudden change their minds and make up a phantom personal foul on Amani Toomer. I've watched that over and over and Amani did not touch Merriweather. The game may not have been any diifferent had these gone the right way, but come on refs...you don't have to make it so easy on the Pats lol.

Haha, that personal foul was pretty funny because unless im missing something and somebody intentionally tripped Merriweather I don't see anything more then him stumbling as he was backing up and jawing back and forth w/ the Giants' players. Still, the Giants lost this game for the same reason they struggled to play with the Cowboys this year, poor offensive drives in the clutch and completely inexcusable blown coverages against their opponent's best wide reciever.

Haha, that personal foul was pretty funny because unless im missing something and somebody intentionally tripped Merriweather I don't see anything more then him stumbling as he was backing up and jawing back and forth w/ the Giants' players. Still, the Giants lost this game for the same reason they struggled to play with the Cowboys this year, poor offensive drives in the clutch and completely inexcusable blown coverages against their opponent's best wide reciever.

The Giants got a ton of pressure on Brady though which they fail to do against Romo imo. I really think the "illegal contact" penalty early in the game hurt the Giants. It took away a 3rd down sack and ended up in a Pats TD. It hurt.

Yeah, I can't actually comment since I was just getting in from the Lex Cath game however it wouldn't help. Still, just observations from a late game standpoint, I'd say I'd stick w/ my keys to the loss as the big issues. The Giants might not have gotten as much pressure on Romo but they did alright even then. I think the biggest problem defensively for this team is that as good as their pressure is, its doesn't mean jack if the coverage still lets a guy sneak open for the QB to get the ball to. Brady and Romo are good enough to get rid of the ball pretty accurately no matter what type pressure is on them.

Yeah, I can't actually comment since I was just getting in from the Lex Cath game however it wouldn't help. Still, just observations from a late game standpoint, I'd say I'd stick w/ my keys to the loss as the big issues. The Giants might not have gotten as much pressure on Romo but they did alright even then. I think the biggest problem defensively for this team is that as good as their pressure is, its doesn't mean jack if the coverage still lets a guy sneak open for the QB to get the ball to. Brady and Romo are good enough to get rid of the ball pretty accurately no matter what type pressure is on them.

I agree that the Giants weak point is their secondary. I hope they improve that area during the off season.

The Giants got a ton of pressure on Brady though which they fail to do against Romo imo. I really think the "illegal contact" penalty early in the game hurt the Giants. It took away a 3rd down sack and ended up in a Pats TD. It hurt.

But it was illegal contact, was it not? I have no idea what happened on the sidelines on the personal foul. But for the ref to be 2 feet away and immediately throw the flag, I'd venture to say that someone definately did something that was a big no no.

But it was illegal contact, was it not? I have no idea what happened on the sidelines on the personal foul. But for the ref to be 2 feet away and immediately throw the flag, I'd venture to say that someone definately did something that was a big no no.

If it was then they should have called it both ways. Randy Moss basically tackled a defender in the end zone and nothing was called. It was a questionable call and it was a ticky tack call that they failed to call both ways.

Also, the ref did not immediately throw the flag it took a little while. From what I saw on TV, Merriweather was jawing with some Giants and he tripped.

I know like HB20 I have a slight bias here but watching the replay, and I know there is a ref in the fray, but it really looks like the guy got in some jawing while backing up and stumbled unintentionally either over somebody or just his feet. What was more commical was how whoever was commentating on the replay of the penalty kept pointing out Amani Toomer who did do some jawing however never really made any physical contact w/ Merriweather, and the commentator was just convinced Toomer had done something horrible.

If it was then they should have called it both ways. Randy Moss basically tackled a defender in the end zone and nothing was called. It was a questionable call and it was a ticky tack call that they failed to call both ways.

Also, the ref did not immediately throw the flag it took a little while. From what I saw on TV, Merriweather was jawing with some Giants and he tripped.

C'mon now, I know you know the game better than that. If your banking on OPI to be called, your going to be in some serious trouble. The NFL has made a commitment to opening the game up, scoring points, etc. Hence the rules protecting the QB, the 5 yd contact rule, etc. For the record, I thought the game was pretty well officiated given the stakes and the intensity. I think your blue blinders may have you seeing it another way.

As far as the call, I didn't mean he threw the flag immediately. The ref immediately responded to something that happened. What's more likely, that someone did something or said something that warranted the flag or that the referee took it upon himself and said "hey, I'm just going to make something up here"?

Your G-Men gave a valiant effort and represented themselves and the NFC very well. Don't diminish that effort by complaining about the officiating. :thumb:

I know like HB20 I have a slight bias here but watching the replay, and I know there is a ref in the fray, but it really looks like the guy got in some jawing while backing up and stumbled unintentionally either over somebody or just his feet. What was more commical was how whoever was commentating on the replay of the penalty kept pointing out Amani Toomer who did do some jawing however never really made any physical contact w/ Merriweather, and the commentator was just convinced Toomer had done something horrible.

The ref said the penalty was on #81, hence why the commentator was pointing him out. I have no clue what happened, but I do know two things. First, the ref was 2 feet away and he obviously saw or heard something. He didn't just make something up. Second, the reaction of the Giants coaches after the play tell me all I needed to know. They didn't seem to be upset with the call.

I, like someone earlier mentioned, thought that from the head action that someone had spit on Merriweather. I'm sure it will come out in the next few days as to what exactly happened, or you can watch the referee Q&A show on the NFL network.

The Giants got away from what was working for them in the first half, mixing the short passes with the run. That play by Plax had the Pats on the ropes early and they gave the Giants short passes all night. When the Pats started pressuring Eli in the second half, the Giants didn't get the run game involved enough to keep them honest.

I hope Bradshaw, O'Hara and Madison are healthy for next week against the Bucs. I also hope the Giants find ways to involve both Kevin Boss and Steve Smith next week.

C'mon now, I know you know the game better than that. If your banking on OPI to be called, your going to be in some serious trouble. The NFL has made a commitment to opening the game up, scoring points, etc. Hence the rules protecting the QB, the 5 yd contact rule, etc. For the record, I thought the game was pretty well officiated given the stakes and the intensity. I think your blue blinders may have you seeing it another way.

As far as the call, I didn't mean he threw the flag immediately. The ref immediately responded to something that happened. What's more likely, that someone did something or said something that warranted the flag or that the referee took it upon himself and said "hey, I'm just going to make something up here"?

Your G-Men gave a valiant effort and represented themselves and the NFC very well. Don't diminish that effort by complaining about the officiating. :thumb:

I'm sick of the stupid "blinders" excuse. If the Giants are in a game, I'm not allowed to accuse the refs of bad officiating. I'll also point out that it was a stupid call by the refs to penalize Moss for his celebration thus forcing the Patriots to kick from the 15. The Giants returned that kick for a TD.

The refs aren't perfect like the Pats...not even close. They proved that tonight.