Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Tubby Left UK Basketball in Shambles

Featured Replies

3 years ago, they were the #1 overall seed and I think lost in double OT of the Elite 8. That is downhill from the Saul Smith days?

 

The key point is they lost. And IMO, I loved those kids, but that team overacheived.

  • Replies 196
  • Views 21.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

 

Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach

Wasn't it Crawford who was a McD AA?

Japser is on the UK level talent wise.

Meeks is, as you said, as good as advertised.

 

Put Jasper and Meeks back on this team and you definitely have a different team talent wise.

 

Also, put Rondo and Morris, both motivated, on this team as seniors and you have a team that SHOULD be top 5 in the nation ALONG WITH Jasper and Meeks.You can look at it however you want but this UK team should have Rondo at point, Meeks at guard, Jasper at forward, Patterson at PF and Morris at C. With Crawford and the others off the bench. That is the team Tubby recruited.

 

 

:thumb::thumb: Another good Post. I agree with the exception of Rondo, I just think that although he was an exceptional talent that he hurt the team more than helped with a bad attitude. You are so correct though about the others. Bashers do not want to be reminded of those FACTS, most as I have said before want to go foward by looking in the rear view mirror. By the way, OTS is doing pretty well these days ;).

 

Lots and lots and lots of teams lose ball players early. I never buy that excuse. If Augustine and Williams has gone back to Illinois. If all those North Carolina kids had gone back. If the Ohio State kids had gone back. etc, etc, etc Not a valid arguement IMO.

Lots and lots and lots of teams lose ball players early. I never buy that excuse. If Augustine and Williams has gone back to Illinois. If all those North Carolina kids had gone back. If the Ohio State kids had gone back. etc, etc, etc Not a valid arguement IMO.

 

I can understand what you are saying. I do however disagree and beleive that it is a valid argument "when others have said that he didn't bring in any real talent", the last couple of years the recruiting slipped a lot - mostly due to Rigot and Hansen not doing their jobs imo. It was still Tubby's program though and he has to burden the load. I just can't see some still bashing and blaming Tubby like they are, to me anyway that is a joke.

I will always be first and foremost a U.K. basketball fan, that will never change. I just am now also a Minnestota Gopher basketball fan as well, they are now my #2 favorite.

I think Oldramber hit it. Tubby assistant's did a poor job of recruiting. Assistants are supposed to put the deal together and the head coach come in a close the deal. There weren't too many deals making it to Tubby to close. Tubby realized that two years ago when he hit the road to personally set up and close the deals on Meeks and Jasper. He was too loyal to his assistants. Wasn't it Hanson who got lazy on Wright and Hansbrough? I think it was LABS who pointed out that Kentucky recruiting went south when George Felton left the program. He set up the deals that Tubby closed on early in his tenure. Look at the recruiting since Felton left.

This thread is pretty ridiculous all over the place, but I've got to agree with coldweatherfan.

 

The "Morris and Rondo should've been here..." crap is ridiculous. Morris could've gone pro out of high school, if you're counting on him being around for 4 years, you're an idiot. Look at UNC/tOSU/Florida. They had lots of guys leave early and they're still doing alright. Elite level programs have elite players coming in every year, not every 4.

Exactly, Mobar. There was a time when this program could sell itself, just like Duke, UNC and the like. Kids did not want to play slow down ball, and on top of it, recruiting was lazy, so it was a time bomb!

The only thing I never understood was Tubby's refusal to get new assistants. He is still the coach of UK if he brings in new assistants AKA recruiters. Instead, he refused and is up north.

UK is still young and without Jasper, and Meeks.

Sad thread.

 

Funny thread.
I was thinking both.

I have come to realize that there are mostly two kinds of UK fans and I have grown tired of both. I love UK and want very badly to see them on top again but 95% of the fans make it very hard to support the cats. It's either Tubby's fault that it's raining outside or it's raining because the TB'ers ran Tubby off.

I have come to realize that there are mostly two kinds of UK fans and I have grown tired of both. I love UK and want very badly to see them on top again but 95% of the fans make it very hard to support the cats. It's either Tubby's fault that it's raining outside or it's raining because the TB'ers ran Tubby off.

 

And I thought it was global warmings fault it was raining and not snowing outside.:lol:

While Meeks and Jasper not being in does hurt, I also believe Tubby was a very poor recruiter. He left this team with ZERO inside help.

It's either Tubby's fault that it's raining outside or it's raining because the TB'ers ran Tubby off.

 

:thumb:

For the record, I think UK is struggling not for Tubby being run off but because of injuries to Meeks/Jasper and the failure of the senior class to live up to expectations.

 

My hope, by the positions I take as what would be seen as a TB sympathizer, is that the other side of the aisle sees their unrealistic expectations, gives Billy G a chance and if he has the same success as Tubby, they consider it good and not looking to run him out of town either. Tubby's run as UK coach was a success and if Billy G's tenure meets the same levels as Tubby did, it will be a success, too.

 

That said, if Billy G, is doing what it is rumored he is doing and brings embarrassment to the UK name by his off the court actions, all bets are off and have at it.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.