Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Tubby Left UK Basketball in Shambles

Featured Replies

One of the points that was being made was that throughout the years of UK basketball, we have had talented (I hope I am using the correct term here) UK teams. My point was that one of the reasons for that was that players did not bolt after their freshmen, sophomore, junior seasons as they do now.

 

I went on to point out that Tubby's system works best when he has jrs and srs that have been in the program for awhile. Think Prince/Bogans and Hayes/Daniels as examples.

 

UK's fans today only want the big name recruits that are going to look to bolt after a year or two. Rondo/Morris.

 

I concede that with what the UK fans want, Tubby is not the right coach for UK.

 

Tubby lucked out that those two stayed. The years that those two "tested the waters" with the NBA Draft were loaded. They knew they could come back and improve their position in the draft. Hayes/Daniels were you typical four year college players. I think Rondo left because he saw the "writing on the wall". Many people were blaming him for "pounding the air out of the ball" when in fact, he was just playing "Tubby Ball". Morris, we also lucked out he was even able to play a minute of his junior year because he tried to leave us. Somehow after months of searching, Tubby finally found the fax that was sent to him to enable Morris to play.

 

IMO, your argument is mute.

  • Replies 196
  • Views 21.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tubby lucked out that those two stayed. The years that those two "tested the waters" with the NBA Draft were loaded. They knew they could come back and improve their position in the draft. Hayes/Daniels were you typical four year college players. I think Rondo left because he saw the "writing on the wall". Many people were blaming him for "pounding the air out of the ball" when in fact, he was just playing "Tubby Ball". Morris, we also lucked out he was even able to play a minute of his junior year because he tried to leave us. Somehow after months of searching, Tubby finally found the fax that was sent to him to enable Morris to play.

 

IMO, your argument is mute.

 

Funny that "Tubby Ball" looks very similar to "Billy G" ball. And Tubby Ball went for 91 tonight.

 

As I said on another thread, I watched the Tubby Smith show on the Big 10 network last weekend and found it interesting that they described "Tubby ball" as suffocating pressing defense and high scoring, fast breaking offense.

You can list 6 players of the 2000's that had equal to better careers than the players that you listed, with the exception of Walker.

 

 

O.K. I give up.

I'll never know How on earth all of these untalented nobodies from Dec. 31, 1949 to Tip Off Night of 1997 manage to become the winningest program in College Basketball History without Orlando Tubby Smith's incredible read on talent? That was some run of incredible luck.

 

His recruiting Powress will go down in the history books as the most incredible assemblege of unmittigated talent to ever put on a pair of sneakers. Lee Todd should fire BCG at the first opportune moment due to his apparent lack of competency to not be able to match the feats of the "Great One" with the INCREDIBLE stockpile of both Veteran and Raw Talent left here for the coach lucky enough to follow in his footsteps. A novice should be able to step onto the floor with Tubby's leftover talent and breeze to a title. All Hail, Tubby the First, the unmatched Recruiter of all times! Blessed are we, the recipiants of his incredible over abundance we now enjoy! Feared By Many (MAC Teams) and the Scourge of the East(ern part of Lexington, Kentucky)!

Tubby Rules, Forever and Always, Until the Moon No Longer Rises and the Seas No Longer Roll!!!:ylsuper::ylsuper::ylsuper::lol:

Funny that "Tubby Ball" looks very similar to "Billy G" ball. And Tubby Ball went for 91 tonight.

 

As I said on another thread, I watched the Tubby Smith show on the Big 10 network last weekend and found it interesting that they described "Tubby ball" as suffocating pressing defense and high scoring, fast breaking offense.

 

And Tubby's 59 points was barely enough to win against IU last year.

 

Definition of Tubby Ball @ UK - Point guard dribbles the ball at the top of the key with no movement to the offense until about 10 seconds are left on the shot clock. Point guard tries to dribble/drive to the paint...

 

Sometimes it worked, but most of the time it resulted in UK throwing up a contested shot.

 

In BCG's offense, at least the ball is being moved around. Players are moving and cutting. BCG at least puts these guys in a position where they have at least have a shot. Players must make plays. The talent level is so down that these players aren't making those plays.

[

 

"Tubby ball" as suffocating pressing defense and high scoring, fast breaking offense.

 

:scared:

I'll agree with the Defense to a small extent, but he had to change something to create a better offense than he had here.

(Blame it on UK players or credit it to UM players. I DARE you!)

You keep missing the point Dad.

 

Tubby's run with the Cats in the 2000's is very similar to most of the history of UK. They tallied 5 of their titles in 7 years.

 

And the rest of the time they were good teams. Not great. Good. Sometimes very good but just short of great. They had talent JUST like Tubby's teams had talent.

 

Rupp struggled in the 60's very similar to Tubby's struggles in the 2000's.

 

And sometimes talent meant diddly and squat. Check out the thread I started asking how a UK team of Dampier at 20 ppg, Riley at 17 ppg and with 3 starting holdovers from the NCAA runner-up team goes 13 and 13.

 

Tubby won with his recruits and had good success, not great but good and sometimes very good, with his recruits.

 

And have you missed the point, I have made 3 times that Tubby is not the right coach for UK and what UK fans want of the UK program. Tubby's system works best with players that will be around for 3 and 4 years. And UK fans are not satisfied with 1-2 years of good teams that leads to 1-2 years of great teams.

 

I think it was a good move by Tubby to move on and what UK needed. Not because he wasn't successful but his system does not match up with UK.

 

UK fans seem to want teams like the 95-98 teams. And that is unrealistic.

And Tubby's 59 points was barely enough to win against IU last year.

 

Definition of Tubby Ball @ UK - Point guard dribbles the ball at the top of the key with no movement to the offense until about 10 seconds are left on the shot clock. Point guard tries to dribble/drive to the paint...

 

Sometimes it worked, but most of the time it resulted in UK throwing up a contested shot.

 

In BCG's offense, at least the ball is being moved around. Players are moving and cutting. BCG at least puts these guys in a position where they have at least have a shot. Players must make plays. The talent level is so down that these players aren't making those plays.

 

Key point in your first statement. UK WON!!!!!

 

Funny thing is that you can pick out about a dozen games a week and found a dozen teams that will be running either the exact play that Tubby runs or a very similar play.

 

And I have contended that Tubby systems requires you to be a good passer and a smart player. I don't think this UK team has many of those on it, especially in the senior and junior classes.

[

 

"Tubby ball" as suffocating pressing defense and high scoring, fast breaking offense.

 

:scared:

I'll agree with the Defense to a small extent, but he had to change something to create a better offense than he had here.

(Blame it on UK players or credit it to UM players. I DARE you!)

 

Games I have watched on the Big10Network. Same plays.

 

Except, their defense is creating more offensive transition opportunities than UK's did/is.

 

ON the statement in parenthesis, I have no clue what it means.

I think you have missed a point too. UK fans want the up tempo game, not a grind it out 59-56 type game. They also want to be a threat to most teams every year. I'm not unrealistic. I'm not one of those fans who thinks every year we should be NCAA Champs, but I do think we should always be a threat to the Dukes, NC and IU's of the basketball world. If I remember right, this is our longest streak without a final four apperance in modern (Post 1935) history. Is that right? You can't have runs like that every year, but you should not be an 8 seed or worse, worrying about making the field, when you are UK and basketball is your school sport, should you?

ON the statement in parenthesis, I have no clue what it means.

 

You were expunging on the merits of Tubby ball now that he's at UM and how they are scoring more points.

 

If you had blamed UK, I was going to call you on it due to his players here still, and IF you had credited UM, I was going to say that those were someone else's players. Thus, if we didn't do it, it was him, and if they had shooters, they had came from someone's recruiting at UM before Tubby.

 

Also, from another posting. We have 0 juniors. We have 2 seniors. (Carter may be a junior, but he had the redshirt).

I think you have missed a point too. UK fans want the up tempo game, not a grind it out 59-56 type game. They also want to be a threat to most teams every year. I'm not unrealistic. I'm not one of those fans who thinks every year we should be NCAA Champs, but I do think we should always be a threat to the Dukes, NC and IU's of the basketball world. If I remember right, this is our longest streak without a final four apperance in modern (Post 1935) history. Is that right? You can't have runs like that every year, but you should not be an 8 seed or worse, worrying about making the field, when you are UK and basketball is your school sport, should you?

 

You have got the wrong coach in Billy G if you want the up tempo game. If I remember right, Tubby's teams averaged more points per game than Billy G's teams except for last season.

 

I think those teams that you mention, still think as UK as a threat when they have to play them.

 

I agree that I would expect UK to annually be a top 10 team. And if the senior class leaves up to expectations, that is happening. They didn't and it has not.

 

I found it interesting that Billy Donovan before 2 years ago went through a stretch of either 5 or 6 years of losing in the first game of the NCAA tournament. Think that would be accepted here. And yet he was a darling. Would you trade 5 or 6 years of losing in the first round for the back-to-back titles? Tubby's teams did not lose in the first round and more often than not, made it to the 2nd weekend.

BUT we never got the back-to-back titles, either. We were also a pernial 6-8 seed.

And, no, I do not think that the Elites still perceive us to be the threat we used to be to them. (IU is chuckling at us tonight. Duke wishes they had us.)

And, I agree with you. I don't think that BCG will ever play Pitino Offense. I think it will become a little more uptempo, but he has to get the horses in here for it.

Key point in your first statement. UK WON!!!!!

 

Funny thing is that you can pick out about a dozen games a week and found a dozen teams that will be running either the exact play that Tubby runs or a very similar play.

 

And I have contended that Tubby systems requires you to be a good passer and a smart player. I don't think this UK team has many of those on it, especially in the senior and junior classes.

 

Yeah, UK won with Morris, Meeks and Jasper. Where are those guys? Hurt or in the NBA (face it Morris was leaving after his junior year). Meeks and Jasper would have made a difference. And again, why don't we have a junior on this team at all? My guess is it has something to do with recruiting which shouldn't be hard to do at a school like UK. Tubby got lazy.

BUT we never got the back-to-back titles, either. We were also a pernial 6-8 seed.

And, no, I do not think that the Elites still perceive us to be the threat we used to be to them. (IU is chuckling at us tonight. Duke wishes they had us.)

And, I agree with you. I don't think that BCG will ever play Pitino Offense. I think it will become a little more uptempo, but he has to get the horses in here for it.

 

 

UH, UK has only won back-to-back titles once in 70 years. They have only been IN back-to-back title games in the two runs we had mentioned.

 

We were that seed for two years. Three years ago, I think overall #1 seed, if memory serves.

 

Billy G's system has never shown himself to be up-tempo.

Yeah, UK won with Morris, Meeks and Jasper. Where are thhose guys? Hurt or in the NBA (face it Morris was leaving after his junior year). Meeks and Jasper would have made a difference. And again, why don't we have a junior on this team at all? My guess is it has something to do with recruiting which shouldn't be hard to do at a school like UK. Tubby got lazy.

 

So, how many power forwards and centers does Billy G have coming in since it is so easy at UK to recruit?

 

Don't count Patterson because he is probably here with Tubby, too.

 

Meeks and Jasper's injuries are the main reason why they are struggling so bad.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.