UFC Holds Press Conference Regarding Randy Couture

Uh, no. Mirko is struggling I'll give you that and MIGHT be on the decline or have lost the desire to fight, I will tell you that after his next 2 fights BUT.....

His record speaks for itself - http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/fightfinder.asp?FighterID=2326

Out of 6 losses 2 were to the #1 and #2 at the time.................and he went to the judges with Fedor, only 6 times has that ever happened and only 3 in the past 4 years..........

Cro Cop has been terrible while in the UFC.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Tuesday, UFC president Dana White, co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta and Chief Financial Officer John Mulkey held a press conference from Zuffa, LLC (the UFC’s parent company) headquarters in Las Vegas to “address some statements that Randy Couture made about the UFC and his pay that are false,” according to White.

"I sat back and watched his press conference last week on TV, on Thursday, and I have to be honest with you,” added Fertitta, “I felt that the statements that he made had so grossly misrepresented the facts that I felt that we needed to protect ourselves because I felt that the statements were made in a way meant to hurt us. The fact is you can only sit back and be silent for so long. The facts are the facts. We have the facts.”

In addition to fight-related pay, Mulkey also stated that Couture had an employment agreement with the company that paid him $200,000 per year, as well as approximately $56,000 for commentating fees.

"From our perspective, Randy Couture is still under contract with the UFC, and we will do whatever we have to do to continue to protect our rights."

Couture last week stated that he and his lawyer interpret that his current contract will expire in nine months.

The UFC disputed that claim, White saying, "We'll find out. Randy Couture got a half a million dollar signing bonus eight months ago to sign this contract with us and we're going to do everything in our power to make sure he honors it."

Asked if there would be any legal action taken against Couture, Fertitta responded, "That's up to Randy.

"From our perspective, Randy Couture is still under contract with the UFC, and we will do whatever we have to do to continue to protect our rights."

White added, "I hope not. I don't want to play this out in court.

"If Tito Ortiz and I can work things out, I'm sure Randy Couture and I can."

He also revealed that the UFC plans to offer Couture, possibly later this week, a fight with Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira for early 2008.

“As far as I'm concerned here today, Randy Couture is our heavyweight champion, and we're going to figure this thing out."

LINK

One thing stood out to me...Dana is saying that he paid Randy $250K after the Sylvia fight. I have several things to point out here...

1. He says that was part of Randy's signing bonus...uh...how can a "signing" bonus be paid some time after you sign and fight.

2. It seems he's trying use that money to cover two things...one the signing bonus and two an additional 250K for that Sylvia fight. In reality, Couture should have been given $500K signing bonus as they said, and another 500K for the Sylvia fight...then what Dana is trying to say would make more sense to me. Or am I misunderstanding this?

Also, for most of what I've seen from Cro Cop, he's getting $500K guaranteed to fight. So, I can see why Randy would want the same.

As for Couture, he keeps saying it's not about the money, but respect. However, almost every example he gives to prove the lack of respect involves money. It's always about the money...you're probably my favorite fighter, Randy, but please, give us a little more credit than that.

I think Couture's best move would have been to finish his contract out and then go fight Fedor for a huge payday. Beating Minotauro would be a big feather in the cap, IMO...unless he doesn't think he can beat him.

One thing stood out to me...Dana is saying that he paid Randy $250K after the Sylvia fight. I have several things to point out here...

1. He says that was part of Randy's signing bonus...uh...how can a "signing" bonus be paid some time after you sign and fight.

2. It seems he's trying use that money to cover two things...one the signing bonus and two an additional 250K for that Sylvia fight. In reality, Couture should have been given $500K signing bonus as they said, and another 500K for the Sylvia fight...then what Dana is trying to say would make more sense to me. Or am I misunderstanding this?

Also, for most of what I've seen from Cro Cop, he's getting $500K guaranteed to fight. So, I can see why Randy would want the same.

As for Couture, he keeps saying it's not about the money, but respect. However, almost every example he gives to prove the lack of respect involves money. It's always about the money...you're probably my favorite fighter, Randy, but please, give us a little more credit than that.

I think Couture's best move would have been to finish his contract out and then go fight Fedor for a huge payday. Beating Minotauro would be a big feather in the cap, IMO...unless he doesn't think he can beat him.

1.) If you watched the press conference you would know that Dana said he gave Randy a $500,000 signing bonus. They decided to give him the bonus in two parts. 1st part right when he signed. $250,000 right there. The second part AFTER the first fight. Which is why he made an extra $250,000 after the Tim Sylvia fight. I think you're bias against Dana and the UFC management has prevented you from seeing facts here.

2.) You are misunderstanding this. Couture is not paid $500K per fight. He's given $125K to fight, and $125K to win. So he made $250K to beat Sylvia. He got the other $250K for the rest of his signing bonus. Couture signed the contract, he agreed to break the signing bonus into two parts. That's on him, not the UFC management.

3.)I agree with your last part about Couture. I'm a huge Couture fan. Been one since I started watching the UFC back around UFC 50. However you are right that he acts like it isn't money, but any time he talks about the situation he brings up money. I would love to see him finish out his contract with the UFC and beat up on Big Nog. I think he could take Nog as long as he kept it on the feet. Wow, I never thought I'd say that about Couture! :lol:. After he beat Nog he could fight Arlovski, Sylvia, Cro Cop (if he could ever put a few wins together), Gonzaga again...somebody for his last fight. Heck, Brock Lesnar might be up for a title shot by then.

I've tried really hard to get into UFC, and I just can't do it, so I really don't know much about what's been going on. With that being said, this whole fiasco can't be good for the MMA sport as a whole.

It's not really going to cause any long term damage IMO. Champions have been kicked out of the UFC or left the UFC before. Jens Pulver, BJ Penn, Tim Sylvia (lost his title to steroids), Tito Ortiz just to name a few. Most left over contract disputes or wanting to fight in another organization. In the end, all of those guys are back with the UFC today.

1.) If you watched the press conference you would know that Dana said he gave Randy a $500,000 signing bonus. They decided to give him the bonus in two parts. 1st part right when he signed. $250,000 right there. The second part AFTER the first fight. Which is why he made an extra $250,000 after the Tim Sylvia fight. I think you're bias against Dana and the UFC management has prevented you from seeing facts here.

2.) You are misunderstanding this. Couture is not paid $500K per fight. He's given $125K to fight, and $125K to win. So he made $250K to beat Sylvia. He got the other $250K for the rest of his signing bonus. Couture signed the contract, he agreed to break the signing bonus into two parts. That's on him, not the UFC management.

3.)I agree with your last part about Couture. I'm a huge Couture fan. Been one since I started watching the UFC back around UFC 50. However you are right that he acts like it isn't money, but any time he talks about the situation he brings up money. I would love to see him finish out his contract with the UFC and beat up on Big Nog. I think he could take Nog as long as he kept it on the feet. Wow, I never thought I'd say that about Couture! :lol:. After he beat Nog he could fight Arlovski, Sylvia, Cro Cop (if he could ever put a few wins together), Gonzaga again...somebody for his last fight. Heck, Brock Lesnar might be up for a title shot by then.

I'm not biased against Dana White. I just don't see him as an innocent...

Surely you can imagine Couture would be frustrated when he's guaranteed $125K per fight and can double it with a win, while Cro Cop gets double that in guaranteed money. However, he doesn't need to patronize us by spouting the worn out line, "It's not about the money."

OK, KG...I have flashbacks of Garnett's press conference immediately after signing a 6-year, $122 Million contract he says, "It's not about the money."

It's always about the money.

Why does Randy Couture feel disprespected? Money.

Why is the UFC and Dana White so secretive about giving information about their finances (PPV buys, etc)? Money.

Dana White has done a great job in promoting the UFC, but I'm like Couture...I don't necessarily agree with everything he does and the way he handles every situation. Don't take my realistic look at Dana White and the fact that I don't believe everything he says is the truth as being biased against him.

I just call it like I see it.

From White's side, I think he could be more professional in the way he handles certain situations and the way he treats some of his fighters and the way he deals with adversity (i.e., when things don't go his way).

From Couture's side, he signed the contract, he agreed to the terms, so I think he should fulfill it if he still wants to fight. He claims to have been offered a fight with Fedor by Bodog when he retired the first time...if that's the fight he truly wanted, then he has no one to blame but himself for not getting the opportunity if it is in fact true that he turned the fight down. Finishing his last two fights would be the quickest and easiest way to get in a situation where he could fight Fedor...as it is, I don't see it happening.

I'm not biased against Dana White. I just don't see him as an innocent...

Surely you can imagine Couture would be frustrated when he's guaranteed $125K per fight and can double it with a win, while Cro Cop gets double that in guaranteed money. However, he doesn't need to patronize us by spouting the worn out line, "It's not about the money."

OK, KG...I have flashbacks of Garnett's press conference immediately after signing a 6-year, $122 Million contract he says, "It's not about the money."

It's always about the money.

Why does Randy Couture feel disprespected? Money.

Why is the UFC and Dana White so secretive about giving information about their finances (PPV buys, etc)? Money.

Dana White has done a great job in promoting the UFC, but I'm like Couture...I don't necessarily agree with everything he does and the way he handles every situation. Don't take my realistic look at Dana White and the fact that I don't believe everything he says is the truth as being biased against him.

I just call it like I see it.

From White's side, I think he could be more professional in the way he handles certain situations and the way he treats some of his fighters and the way he deals with adversity (i.e., when things don't go his way).

From Couture's side, he signed the contract, he agreed to the terms, so I think he should fulfill it if he still wants to fight. He claims to have been offered a fight with Fedor by Bodog when he retired the first time...if that's the fight he truly wanted, then he has no one to blame but himself for not getting the opportunity if it is in fact true that he turned the fight down. Finishing his last two fights would be the quickest and easiest way to get in a situation where he could fight Fedor...as it is, I don't see it happening.

We can't say that Dana handled this situation wrong because we don't know what happened behind closed doors. Couture was the first one to come out and start this entire thing. Dana didn't have to sign Randy out of retirement. Randy hadn't been that impressive in his two knock out losses to Liddell, still yet Dana gave him an immediate title shot and a $500,000 signing bonus. That aint bad.

We can't say that Dana handled this situation wrong because we don't know what happened behind closed doors. Couture was the first one to come out and start this entire thing. Dana didn't have to sign Randy out of retirement. Randy hadn't been that impressive in his two knock out losses to Liddell, still yet Dana gave him an immediate title shot and a $500,000 signing bonus. That aint bad.

No, it's not, which is why I'm not really taking sides here.

Dana White isn't exactly the most truthful person in the world...first he blames the reason behind the Liddell/Silva fight not happening on Wanderlei backing out. Wanderlei Silva has never given me the impression that he's afraid to fight anyone. Now, that the fight is actually going to happen, when asked what held it up before, Dana White says he was waiting for Chuck to get to a place where he was completely ready to fight Wandy, injury free, focused, etc...so which is it? Did Silva back out or was he protecting Chuck?

Secondly, he's making every effort to get Fedor, offering him big money, talking about what a great fighter he is, widely acclaimed as the best heavyweight, would get an immediate title shot...then Fedor signs with M-1 and now Dana White says he's not even a top 5 heavyweight. Are you kidding me? His character has proven to not be above reproach and when you combine that with other fighters claiming he doesn't always treat them as he should, who do you believe? Especially guys like Randy Couture and Dan Henderson who have a pretty strong reputation for being stand-up guys.

For some real fight news...

There is a rumor that Dan Henderson will be fighting on the UFC 79 card in December...and possibly fighting at Middleweight...I hope that's true. I really want to see he and Anderson Silva go at it. Plus, that's gonna be a monster card...Hughes vs. Serra, Silva vs. Liddell, BJ Penn vs. somebody for the Lightweight title, and now Dan Henderson...can't wait.

Also, David Terrell returns to the octagon at UFC 78...I'm pretty excited to see him fight again. I think he has some big time potential.

I originally was going to pass on UFC 78, but I think I'll get it now. While the main event leaves something to be desired for a UFC headliner, IMO, it's still an interesting fight and should be entertaining. However, I've been looking forward to seeing Thiago Silva for some time and seeing him in the cage against Houston Alexander should be a good matchup...and with David Terrell returning, I think there's enough to look forward to from my perspective to warrant splitting the tab with a friend.

The real treat is going to be in December though...especially if Hendo is on the card. I'd pay the $40 bucks just to see Liddell/Silva though.

No, it's not, which is why I'm not really taking sides here.

Dana White isn't exactly the most truthful person in the world...first he blames the reason behind the Liddell/Silva fight not happening on Wanderlei backing out. Wanderlei Silva has never given me the impression that he's afraid to fight anyone. Now, that the fight is actually going to happen, when asked what held it up before, Dana White says he was waiting for Chuck to get to a place where he was completely ready to fight Wandy, injury free, focused, etc...so which is it? Did Silva back out or was he protecting Chuck?

Secondly, he's making every effort to get Fedor, offering him big money, talking about what a great fighter he is, widely acclaimed as the best heavyweight, would get an immediate title shot...then Fedor signs with M-1 and now Dana White says he's not even a top 5 heavyweight. Are you kidding me? His character has proven to not be above reproach and when you combine that with other fighters claiming he doesn't always treat them as he should, who do you believe? Especially guys like Randy Couture and Dan Henderson who have a pretty strong reputation for being stand-up guys.

I was always under the impression that everyone knew the reason the original Liddell/Silva fight didn't happen was because Pride raised their demands.

Secondly, we don't know how much he offered Fedor. It could have been millions, it might not have been. Do you really think Fedor would have turned down millions per fight though?

I do disagree with Dana on where Fedor stands. He does need to fight some top competition though or he will slide in my mind. He had the opportunity to come to the UFC and prove his dominance, but he'd rather fight scrubs in M-1 for a while.

Dan Henderson will be back with the UFC, I almost guarantee it. I have no inside information, I just feel like he will be.

Matt Hughes who is a pretty stand up guy himself, or most consider him to be so, thinks highly of Dana White. Same goes for Liddell.

For some real fight news...

There is a rumor that Dan Henderson will be fighting on the UFC 79 card in December...and possibly fighting at Middleweight...I hope that's true. I really want to see he and Anderson Silva go at it. Plus, that's gonna be a monster card...Hughes vs. Serra, Silva vs. Liddell, BJ Penn vs. somebody for the Lightweight title, and now Dan Henderson...can't wait.

Also, David Terrell returns to the octagon at UFC 78...I'm pretty excited to see him fight again. I think he has some big time potential.

I originally was going to pass on UFC 78, but I think I'll get it now. While the main event leaves something to be desired for a UFC headliner, IMO, it's still an interesting fight and should be entertaining. However, I've been looking forward to seeing Thiago Silva for some time and seeing him in the cage against Houston Alexander should be a good matchup...and with David Terrell returning, I think there's enough to look forward to from my perspective to warrant splitting the tab with a friend.

The real treat is going to be in December though...especially if Hendo is on the card. I'd pay the $40 bucks just to see Liddell/Silva though.

If Hendo is on that card, wow. Liddell/Silva, Hughes/Serra, Penn and Hendo on the same freaking card?? That is nuts!

I was always under the impression that everyone knew the reason the original Liddell/Silva fight didn't happen was because Pride raised their demands.

Secondly, we don't know how much he offered Fedor. It could have been millions, it might not have been. Do you really think Fedor would have turned down millions per fight though?

I do disagree with Dana on where Fedor stands. He does need to fight some top competition though or he will slide in my mind. He had the opportunity to come to the UFC and prove his dominance, but he'd rather fight scrubs in M-1 for a while.

Dan Henderson will be back with the UFC, I almost guarantee it. I have no inside information, I just feel like he will be.

Matt Hughes who is a pretty stand up guy himself, or most consider him to be so, thinks highly of Dana White. Same goes for Liddell.

I'm talking about the more recent controversey about the two of them fighting instead of Jardine...anyway, it doesn't matter...it seems that Dana's story changes depending on what's happening at the time. Fedor is in line for an immediate title shot when he thinks he's going to sign him...when he doesn't he isn't even a top 5 heavyweight.

The report that Henderson will be fighting at UFC 79 seems pretty strong...from ufcdaily.com

Dan Henderson is expected to be back in the octagon in December at UFC 79 for his first fight since a UFC 75 loss to Quinton “Rampage” Jackson according to a report from Bubba The Love Sponge:

It appears that Dan Henderson may very well be fighting on the UFC 79 Nemesis December 29th card. While on a trip to Vegas this weekend, Bubba the Love Sponge mentioned on his Satellite Radio program today that he ran into Henderson. He stated that Dan mentioned in conversation that he thought he would be fighting in December. Bubba went on to say that Dan would not say who he would be fighting, but did mention that he may be fighting at 185 lbs.

Henderson is among a select group of potential challengers for Anderson Silva’s middleweight title. After fighting primarily in PRIDE for most of his career, Henderson, then the middleweight and welterweight champion of the promotion, returned to the UFC in September losing by unanimous decision to Jackson. Despite the loss Henderson has stated that he wishes to remain at light heavyweight though the UFC has been vocal in their wishes for him to move to 185-pounds for a possible showdown with Anderson Silva.

As for Liddell and Hughes liking White...it just furthers my belief that he plays favorites. Anyway, it really doesn't matter...I'm just trying to tell you why I don't believe everything that Dana White says and I expect some of these comments we hear about him are true. Again, he's done a great job with the UFC and overall I like him....I just think he could do some things in a more professional manner and I think it would make the product even stronger. As it is, I'm afraid some of these things could come back to hurt the UFC in the long run, and I don't want that to happen. I like their show production, I like the cage, etc...and I want to see it stay on top and have the best fighters in the world.

I'd 10 to 1 rather see MMA fights in a cage than a ring.

I'm talking about the more recent controversey about the two of them fighting instead of Jardine...anyway, it doesn't matter...it seems that Dana's story changes depending on what's happening at the time. Fedor is in line for an immediate title shot when he thinks he's going to sign him...when he doesn't he isn't even a top 5 heavyweight.

The report that Henderson will be fighting at UFC 79 seems pretty strong...from ufcdaily.com

Dan Henderson is expected to be back in the octagon in December at UFC 79 for his first fight since a UFC 75 loss to Quinton “Rampage” Jackson according to a report from Bubba The Love Sponge:

It appears that Dan Henderson may very well be fighting on the UFC 79 Nemesis December 29th card. While on a trip to Vegas this weekend, Bubba the Love Sponge mentioned on his Satellite Radio program today that he ran into Henderson. He stated that Dan mentioned in conversation that he thought he would be fighting in December. Bubba went on to say that Dan would not say who he would be fighting, but did mention that he may be fighting at 185 lbs.

Henderson is among a select group of potential challengers for Anderson Silva’s middleweight title. After fighting primarily in PRIDE for most of his career, Henderson, then the middleweight and welterweight champion of the promotion, returned to the UFC in September losing by unanimous decision to Jackson. Despite the loss Henderson has stated that he wishes to remain at light heavyweight though the UFC has been vocal in their wishes for him to move to 185-pounds for a possible showdown with Anderson Silva.

As for Liddell and Hughes liking White...it just furthers my belief that he plays favorites. Anyway, it really doesn't matter...I'm just trying to tell you why I don't believe everything that Dana White says and I expect some of these comments we hear about him are true. Again, he's done a great job with the UFC and overall I like him....I just think he could do some things in a more professional manner and I think it would make the product even stronger. As it is, I'm afraid some of these things could come back to hurt the UFC in the long run, and I don't want that to happen. I like their show production, I like the cage, etc...and I want to see it stay on top and have the best fighters in the world.

I'd 10 to 1 rather see MMA fights in a cage than a ring.

I don't want you to think that I believe every single thing Dana White says. I'm not brainwashed by him. I don't believe every single thing ANYONE says :lol:. I just think both parties are responsible for this little fiasco. Randy was getting paid VERY well. Considering his wife said he has made more money outside the cage than inside the cage, he's not in trouble financially. I wish they'd just work out their differences so we can see Randy and Big Nog go at it!