UFC Holds Press Conference Regarding Randy Couture

I’ll try and breakdown what they said here, for those who don’t get to hear it:

Lorenzo Fertitta, Dana White and an Accountant for the UFC are present at this press conference. The accountant is the one going over the financial details of what Randy has been paid. They say they are only doing this because they feel they were damaged by Randy’s press conference last week.

• Randy mis-stated that he was upset for not receiving a signing bonus. The UFC claims they have paid him a $500,000 signing bonus. They gave him $250,000 to sign and $250,00 on top of his purse after UFC 68.

• Randy was paid $56,000 in commentating fee’s in 2006.

• UFC paid Randy a $250K purse for UFC 68 (not the signing bonus). He also received the second half of his bonus after UFC 68.

• Randy also received a piece of the PPV buys for UFC 68 which totaled over $900,000. He ended up making around $1.1 million for UFC 68.

• Randy was paid a $250K purse for UFC 74, also received $35,000 for fight of the night. After totaling in PPV buys he received a total compensation of $1.072 million for UFC 74.

• The UFC says that Randy has cashed all checks except for $17,000 worth for UFC 68.

• They say Randy used the words "off the books" at his press conference claiming that the UFC pays guys after fights under the table. UFC clarifies that payments Randy is talking about are documented expenses of company. They give guys extra money after fights sometimes, but that money is recorded and is taxed money. They give extra money to fighters sometimes that perform well, etc. Dana says nothing is "off the books".

• They once again say that Randy did receive a signing bonus. $500,000 worth. They gave him $250K up front, and other $250K after UFC 68.

• They said that Randy called the UFC a monopoly. Dana says never in the history has there been more opportunities for people wanting to fight in MMA. It's never been more competitive. Just because UFC is better, and does it better than everyone else, that doesn't make them a monopoly.

• Lorenzo Fertitta said he had spoken with Randy before Randy's press conference. Says what Randy said in his press conference was "grossly inaccurate". Felt like Randy damaged or tried to damage UFC with press conference.

• They said that Randy explained after UFC 76 that he was unhappy with contract and that other fighters were receiving signing bonuses and more money in their contracts. Randy also said that he was upset over them offering Fedor a ton of money and that he felt his only fight that he could see himself doing at this point was against Fedor.

• Lorenzo says that Randy is still under contract with the UFC and they will do what they have to do to protect their rights.

• Dana White says that Randy Couture is the #1 heavyweight in the world, not Fedor. Says Fedor is a farce.

• Dana said he does not know how it got to this point with Randy. Does not know what he did wrong.

• Dana says he was not going to pay Fedor more than Randy Couture. Says he was trying to make that fight for Randy because Randy wanted Fedor.

• Dana said he felt like he got "kicked in the throat" last week when this happened. (I assume he means Randy's press conference)

• Dana said he felt he and Randy had a good relationship since season 1 of TUF.

• Dana says that if he and Tito can work things out, he and Randy can.

• Dana says he will not talk about this again, ever. Says this is it, he will not discuss this topic again after this press conference.

• Dana says that Randy's wife claimed on Randy’s website that the UFC did not promote Randy. Dana stated that the reason they are where they are is because they promoted Randy. They had a "Randy Couture Day" on Spike TV, 4 hours of nothing but Randy.

• Randy made just under $3 million this year. Randy signed a contract 8 months ago.

• As far as Dana is concerned, Randy is still the heavyweight champion and they will figure this out.

There were a lot more questions but that was the main questions regarding the UFC/Couture situation.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Them responding to Randy's press conference is just damage control. Go back and read Randy's transcript he addressed things that need addressed, fighter pay, his contract etc and they are somewhat twisting it.

I'll respond in depth when I have more time to go in depth.

Them responding to Randy's press conference is just damage control. Go back and read Randy's transcript he addressed things that need addressed, fighter pay, his contract etc and they are somewhat twisting it.

I'll respond in depth when I have more time to go in depth.

They provided FACTS on Randy's contract. They showed where he had cashed checks that they have already given him for millions. I am a HUGE Randy Couture fan but the UFC is right about paying him. He was paid a fair amount of money considering he was knocked out by Chuck Liddell twice before his retirement. They didn't have to pay him all that money and give him an immediate title match.

Well if what they said today is true then I dont think Randy can complain about the pay. Thats a nice amount of jack for an mma fighter. Only reason I can see him being upset is if other fighters are making more than him but other than Chuck, I dont think anyone else in the UFC makes as much as Randy.

I agree with him that the only fight that makes sense for him is Fedor and if he left purely because Fedor didnt sign with the UFC thats fine, but if its about being underpaid then I dont agree with it.

Well if what they said today is true then I dont think Randy can complain about the pay. Thats a nice amount of jack for an mma fighter. Only reason I can see him being upset is if other fighters are making more than him but other than Chuck, I dont think anyone else in the UFC makes as much as Randy.

I agree with him that the only fight that makes sense for him is Fedor and if he left purely because Fedor didnt sign with the UFC thats fine, but if its about being underpaid then I dont agree with it.

Apparently Randy thought that the UFC offered Fedor a ton of money, and that he was paid less than other fighters in the UFC.

They provided FACTS on Randy's contract. They showed where he had cashed checks that they have already given him for millions. I am a HUGE Randy Couture fan but the UFC is right about paying him. He was paid a fair amount of money considering he was knocked out by Chuck Liddell twice before his retirement. They didn't have to pay him all that money and give him an immediate title match.

They offered Fedor 2 million a fight and the same part of the PPV that Randy got.

Mauricio Rua - $150,000 1st fight in UFC

Tim Sylvia - $200,000 12th fight for UFC

Crop Cop - $400,000 1st fight in UFC

They offered Fedor 2 million a fight and the same part of the PPV that Randy got.

Mauricio Rua - $150,000 1st fight in UFC

Tim Sylvia - $200,000 12th fight for UFC

Crop Cop - $400,000 1st fight in UFC

They offered Fedor 2 million a fight according to who?

Cro Cop may have gotten 400K for his first fight but who knows if that includes PPV percentage or not. Regardless, Couture is getting paid well.

Can you imagine the ratings that a Randy and Fedor fight would draw? Would probably be record setting for MMA.

If it were the UFC promoting it I have no doubt that it would set records. I do not think that thew new Organization that Fedor signed with would be able to get as many buys.

Another side note, is Cro Cop one of the most overrated fighters coming into UFC from Pride in a long time?

Uh, no. Mirko is struggling I'll give you that and MIGHT be on the decline or have lost the desire to fight, I will tell you that after his next 2 fights BUT.....

His record speaks for itself - http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/fightfinder.asp?FighterID=2326

Out of 6 losses 2 were to the #1 and #2 at the time.................and he went to the judges with Fedor, only 6 times has that ever happened and only 3 in the past 4 years..........

Uh, no. Mirko is struggling I'll give you that and MIGHT be on the decline or have lost the desire to fight, I will tell you that after his next 2 fights BUT.....

His record speaks for itself - http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/fightfinder.asp?FighterID=2326

Out of 6 losses 2 were to the #1 and #2 at the time.................and he went to the judges with Fedor, only 6 times has that ever happened and only 3 in the past 4 years..........

I'm talking about his fights since making the switch. He has looked terrible and not like the Cro Cop of old that you seen in Pride.