Mercer Co. v.s Watertown, TN Info

Buffalo Gap

To end some rumors and to maybe help share some info for others...I thought I'd fill some in that were wondering.

For whatever reason, a RUMOR has been going around that the Watertown (Nashville metro area) team that Mercer plays this week isn't a good one, well, that's the biggest bunch of hogwash I've ever heard, especially if that's comming from people who don't know 1st hand. Granted, their records the past couple years haven't been very good....but, that's why it's called the 2007 Season and not the "2007, mixed with the success or lack of from 2005 and 2006 Season". If that was the case, Mercer could erase the two losses this year, replace them with last years at this point and still be 5-0. Now, are they a St.X, Trinity, Highlands, Boyle, LexCath, CovCath, etc.?? No...few in our state or in any country are of that status and prestige.

As of this week:

*Watertown, TN is 3-1

* They are ranked #10 in the AP Class A poll.

* Two weeks ago, they beat the 6 TIME State Champ, Trousdale County, 7-0. Trousdale County's most recent championship seasons were 2005, 1998 and 1993.

* Watertown lost last week to Friendship Christian (17-0), of Lebanon, TN. Friendship Christian is ranked #3 in the Class A Associate Press poll this week.

Keep in mind, Tennessee has a 5 Class system for public schools and a 2 Class system for ALL private schools. Here is guessing, that Tennessee's Class A is as competitive and strong as Kentucky's.....a Class A in Kentucky that has the likes of Beechwood, Mayfield, Pikeville, Lou. Holy Cross, Frankfort, etc. ranked in it's top 10. We all know or have a pretty good idea how good those people are, regardless of Class size! I hope this helps?!:thumb:

If you want to check out their field, go to this site http://musicbox.sonybmg.com/video-player/kellie_pickler/red_high_heelse .....Country music star Kellie Pickler did her music video to her song, "Red High Heels" on Watertown's field (after the first 30 seconds of the song). Give the link a couple minutes and it will load. Hopefully she'll make a guest appearence and come back prancing around out there, again..but, I'm thinking she could cause just a little distraction amongst all of us! haha

Mayfield played Trousdale Co a few years back and they were a doozy of a team! Good luck to Mercer!:thumb: I have heard that this team is not a pushover!

Thanks!:thumb: I saw the Trousdale County film, and they sure aren't shy of any athletes, that's for dang sure!! I've heard from a good friend of mine that I played college ball with, he played for his dad at Westmoreland, TN (Class AA) that Trousdale County is always a force to be reckoned with, whoever they play, any class. They (Trousdale Co) have a few guys that looked like they could play in a Danville uniform.

Gee, Buffalo Gap, you seem awfully defensive about this game being on Mercer County's schedule. I'll admit that I wondered about it when I saw Watertown on the Titans' schedule.

Some info on Watertown ... they were 6-4 last season (including a win over Trousdale) and failed to make the Class A playoffs. They were 6-5 in both 2004 and 2005, getting thumped in the first round of the playoffs. They play in a district that isn't usually considered one of Tennessee's toughest. One of the teams they've beaten this season is 0-4.

Watertown isn't exactly "metro Nashville" ... it's a small town south of Lebanon, probably an hour from Nashville, and still a fairly rural area. Their enrollment is 347 (according to the TSSAA website), less than half that of Mercer's.

Friends that know football in both Tennessee and Kentucky have told me in the past that Tennessee's Class A division wasn't quite as strong and deep as Kentucky's Class A. Of course, with the our watered-down Class A, the divisions are probably fairly equal.

I would venture to guess that Watertown's #10 ranking would probably put them in the ballpark of the teams ranked 8-10 in Kentucky. Going by the BGP rankings, that puts them in the neighborhood of Lynn Camp, Dayton and Bellevue.

In short, this looks like a game that Mercer should win, perhaps even handily. But then again, it's a long road trip and Tennessee officiating crews haven't always been known to be friendly to visitors from the north. ;)

Gee, Buffalo Gap, you seem awfully defensive about this game being on Mercer County's schedule. I'll admit that I wondered about it when I saw Watertown on the Titans' schedule.

Some info on Watertown ... they were 6-4 last season (including a win over Trousdale) and failed to make the Class A playoffs. They were 6-5 in both 2004 and 2005, getting thumped in the first round of the playoffs. They play in a district that isn't usually considered one of Tennessee's toughest. One of the teams they've beaten this season is 0-4.

Watertown isn't exactly "metro Nashville" ... it's a small town south of Lebanon, probably an hour from Nashville, and still a fairly rural area. Their enrollment is 347 (according to the TSSAA website), less than half that of Mercer's.

Friends that know football in both Tennessee and Kentucky have told me in the past that Tennessee's Class A division wasn't quite as strong and deep as Kentucky's Class A. Of course, with the our watered-down Class A, the divisions are probably fairly equal.

I would venture to guess that Watertown's #10 ranking would probably put them in the ballpark of the teams ranked 8-10 in Kentucky. Going by the BGP rankings, that puts them in the neighborhood of Lynn Camp, Dayton and Bellevue.

In short, this looks like a game that Mercer should win, perhaps even handily. But then again, it's a long road trip and Tennessee officiating crews haven't always been known to be friendly to visitors from the north. ;)

Agreed! No need in being defensive here. If the folks think this is a 'gimme' game, then so be it. Sometimes you simply play some weaker opponents.

And speaking of kids playing in a Danville uniform, it would have been nice to see Mercer try to schedule a game with Danville. Close to home and good competition. Regardless of Harp and Jaggers being good friends, this is a game that should be played, IMO.

No, not defensive at all about it. All of us are looking forward to it. I just wanted to settle the false rumors going around Harrodsburg that this team was a pitiful one, among other things. That's all.

I just said Metro Tennessee because most don't know where Lebanon is, but it's relatively close to Nashville. Know what I mean?!:p

I've heard the same thing about the officiating, too...from others who have ventured from KY to the VOL state. I'm sure we will get served up some bacon, eggs, sausage and biscuits on a couple calls. Thanks for the wishes and info!

Agreed! No need in being defensive here. If the folks think this is a 'gimme' game, then so be it. Sometimes you simply play some weaker opponents.

And speaking of kids playing in a Danville uniform, it would have been nice to see Mercer try to schedule a game with Danville. Close to home and good competition. Regardless of Harp and Jaggers being good friends, this is a game that should be played, IMO.

Nobody being defensive here, I can promise you that.

Great friends. They talk football all the time and help one another whenever they can. I think it will be a game that is played in time, just not here in the next year or two... and I agree, I think it would be a great one, not just for the players but for the communties. :thumb: