‘Jena 6’ protesters descend on Louisiana town

BigBlueFreak

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

During a school assembly on August 31, 2006, a black male freshman student asked permission from the principal to sit in the shade of the "white tree."[4] According to the recounting of events given by U.S. Attorney Donald Washington, the question was posed in a "jocular fashion."[5] The principal told the students they could "sit wherever they wanted."[4] The freshman and his friends then sat under the tree.[6]

The following morning, three nooses were discovered hanging from the tree. Jena's principal learned that three white students were responsible and recommended expulsion. The board of education overruled his recommendation, to which Superintendent Roy Breithaupt agreed. The punishment was reduced to three days of in-school suspension.[3][7] The school superintendent was quoted as saying, "Adolescents play pranks. I don't think it was a threat against anybody."[8] Black residents of Jena claim that this decision stoked racial tensions that led to subsequent events.[7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jena_Six#The_.22white_tree.22_incident

THE ASSAULT OF THE 6.

On December 4, 2006, Jena High School student Justin Barker, age 17, was assaulted by other Jena High students. According to reports, earlier that day Barker, a white student, bragged about how one of his alleged attackers, Robert Bailey, Jr., had been beaten up by a white man the Friday before.[3] Barker was then knocked to the ground after being hit in the back of his head, and a group of students followed suit by repeatedly kicking him.[14] Barker, who was left unconscious after the attack, was examined by a doctor at the local hospital. In the meantime, the six students accused of the attack, eventually dubbed the "Jena Six",[15] were arrested.

After reading some more about this issue, it did all go downhill after the kids who hung the nooses from the tree weren't punished more severely. But there is still a difference in hanging a noose from a tree and beating a kid halfway to death. I was meaning that race wasn't an issue in the attack, but I could very well be wrong. :thumb: I plan on reading more about this though. Big Al and Jesse are being their normal selves and turning this into a way to get themselves shown on TV.
Who was beat half to death? The kid in question went to the local football game the same day of the "beating".

I take what I said about the Principal back, he made the right call, IMO. Shame on the Board and Super.

As for the '6' kids beating up the other kid, there are so many things wrong with that I don't know where to start. Sad story...

To clarify the bolded, I meant wrong from the start to the finish of this entire situation. From even having a "white tree" to hanging nooses to only giving 3 days of in-school to a kid getting beat up to a kid bragging about a kid being beat up to 6 kids beating that kid up...etc. and so on...

I made it sound like those 6 kids were solely at fault and that's not what I meant. Everyone has their breaking point...

I heard football game on the radio.

After two hours of treatment and observation for a concussion and an eye that had swollen shut, Barker was released from the hospital. He was able to attend his school's Ring ceremony that evening,[7] though he later testified that he left early due to pain.[16]

Who was beat half to death? The kid in question went to the local football game the same day of the "beating".

I'm not causing an argument here, but have you ever been jumped by 6 guys before? That is grounds for legal action and these kids should have to pay the price. I don't care what race they are.

So if one group's punishment is seen as insufficient, we should forgive all future wrongdoings by other groups?

Seems to me the protest should be about the lack of punishment for the noose hangers, not the extent of punishment for the kids who attacked a classmate.

So if one group's punishment is seen as insufficient, we should forgive all future wrongdoings by other groups?

Seems to me the protest should be about the lack of punishment for the noose hangers, not the extent of punishment for the kids who attacked a classmate.

Charge them with assault and also file civil suit for medical bills. However the attempted murder charges were ridiculous. I'm not excusing them, they made the wrong decision and did the wrong thing.

Charge them with assault and also file civil suit for medical bills. However the attempted murder charges were ridiculous. I'm not excusing them, they made the wrong decision and did the wrong thing.

I have no problem with someone arguing that the penalty was too stiff and should be reduced, but rather that they should be excused because someone else was not punished enough.

This is stupid. All race issues aside, a boy was knocked unconcious and then stomped on by 5 other boys after he was already knocked out. Hanging nooses from tree branches is one thing, but 6 kids putting a number on a defenseless, unconcious kid laying on the ground is on a whole nother level. What those 6 boys did to that one kid is cowardly and unexcuseable, and I think they should be punished to the maximum extent of the law.