‘Jena 6’ protesters descend on Louisiana town

BigBlueFreak

This is stupid. All race issues aside, a boy was knocked unconcious and then stomped on by 5 other boys after he was already knocked out. Hanging nooses from tree branches is one thing, but 6 kids putting a number on a defenseless, unconcious kid laying on the ground is on a whole nother level. What those 6 boys did to that one kid is cowardly and unexcuseable, and I think they should be punished to the maximum extent of the law.

I am with you 100%

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is stupid. All race issues aside, a boy was knocked unconcious and then stomped on by 5 other boys after he was already knocked out. Hanging nooses from tree branches is one thing, but 6 kids putting a number on a defenseless, unconcious kid laying on the ground is on a whole nother level. What those 6 boys did to that one kid is cowardly and unexcuseable, and I think they should be punished to the maximum extent of the law.

:thumb:

Have you ever considered that this kid may have deserved the beating he got? Don't you ever feel like some people need to have the crap beat out of them? I don't know how I'd feel if I was black and someone hung a noose in my tree or burnt a cross in my yard. I think I'd be at least a little mad, especially when there punishment was nothing.

Have you ever considered that this kid may have deserved the beating he got? Don't you ever feel like some people need to have the crap beat out of them? I don't know how I'd feel if I was black and someone hung a noose in my tree or burnt a cross in my yard. I think I'd be at least a little mad, especially when there punishment was nothing.

The white kid that the black boys jumped had nothing to do with the noose or any of the prior conflicts. It was a group of football players responsible for all that. And if I was black and I saw a noose hanging from a tree at school I'd think, wow what an ignorant person, and go on with my day.

That right there is a really dangerous precedent. On various levels many in society may "deserve a beating". No way we want to go down that road. The boy beat up was not involved in the noose incident. So is it now ok for his family to round up 20-30 relatives and go kick the insides out of the six boys?

The white kid that the black boys jumped had nothing to do with the noose or any of the prior conflicts. It was a group of football players responsible for all that. And if I was black and I saw a noose hanging from a tree at school I'd think, wow what an ignorant person, and go on with my day.

Pure conjecture by a white man who has never faced any racism in the South.

I wouldn't be so quick to judge here. I am from the south, and I am caucasian, and I have faced racism from African-Americans before. But it didn't turn me into a racist person, it just made me realize how ignorant some people can be. Ignorance runs wild in every race.

There is no choice but to punish the 6 involved. I cant imagine a rational person would argue that.

However, the rally that happened was brought about by more than just this incident. I would imagine that the local minority would tell you that the noose incident was simply the last straw. To think otherwise would be the same as thinking that you as a white person could simply "handle it" with no problems and to scoff at those that do not.

Many times we get caught up in the "Jesse" and "Rev Al" factor and immediately discredit the cause simply because they are involved. I'd challenge you to throw them out of the equation and then make an informed decision as to who is right and who is wrong.

I wouldn't be so quick to judge here. I am from the south, and I am caucasian, and I have faced racism from African-Americans before. But it didn't turn me into a racist person, it just made me realize how ignorant some people can be. Ignorance runs wild in every race.

Don't read too much into my post.

To say "eh, it wouldn't bother me" without having experienced persistent racisim and have generations of family members who have faced the same level of racism is an ignorant statement (and I mean the literal defintion of the word).

Well let me just say this. I was born and have spent a good deal of my life in southern Alabama so I have witnessed my fair share of racism both to and from African Americans. You wouldn't believe some of the stuff that's been said to me over the Confederate flag sticker on the back of my truck. None of that bothers me though cause I just look at it as 'wow what an idiot' you know? I mean come over here and let me give you a history lesson, haha. But yes I can honestly say that if I was black I would be a strong enough person that just the sight of a noose hanging from a tree branch wouldn't bother me.

But yes I can honestly say that if I was black I would be a strong enough person that just the sight of a noose hanging from a tree branch wouldn't bother me.

As I said before, nothing more than conjecture.

I can say I'd jump on a grenade to save my fellow Marines but I really have zero clue.

Im failing to see why there is any type of protesting going on in this situation. What are the people there protesting ?

Bottom line there is no right in this situation. Only wrong. The white kids were wrong (and very ignorant) for hanging the nooses and the group of black kids were wrong for jumping the white kid. In the end both sides were wrong and both should be harshly punished for their actions. Seems pretty simple to me.

This is a situation where it could've maybe been resolved had the super intendent jumped in and said "hey you're wrong mr. principle, these kids need to be punished for their actions."

Instead we have this, and their is alot of devils advocate being played in this one I think.