Practice time vs. Game time

DMZ76

Stirring it up! Back in the day...if you didn't practice during the week, you didn't play Friday night. I see more and more "Band-aid Billy's" sit out and then get into games before kids who have worked all week. How does your school handle this situation? No names of kids please...just situational thoughts!

Back in the day, they used to practice when the heat index was 110, too.

Pat Riley made a comment about Magic Johnson and Kareem and practice. A reporter called him out about how much they played during the game. He pointed out that they were keys to his team's success and needed to be in the game. The reporter questioned whether they needed a break.

He said he gives them a break by lowering their practice load. If it came down to them practicing all 2 hours everyday they had practice and then him not having them for the 48 minutes of a LA Lakers game or him cutting their (not the team's but their individual) practice time back to 1/2 and having them for the entire game, he wanted them the entire game.

If a kid has a nagging injury that rest during the week will let him play Friday night, but daily practice is not going to let it heal itself, seems to be a no-brainer to me.

Now if a kid missed practice because of other commitments, that is different.

Back in the day, they used to practice when the heat index was 110, too.

Pat Riley made a comment about Magic Johnson and Kareem and practice. A reporter called him out about how much they played during the game. He pointed out that they were keys to his team's success and needed to be in the game. The reporter questioned whether they needed a break.

He said he gives them a break by lowering their practice load. If it came down to them practicing all 2 hours everyday they had practice and then him not having them for the 48 minutes of a LA Lakers game or him cutting their (not the team's but their individual) practice time back to 1/2 and having them for the entire game, he wanted them the entire game.

If a kid has a nagging injury that rest during the week will let him play Friday night, but daily practice is not going to let it heal itself, seems to be a no-brainer to me.

Now if a kid missed practice because of other commitments, that is different.

Very good points. Also back in "the day" a water break was considered a weakness. Salt tablets were handed out like candy on Christmas morning and we never heard of a heat index.

Very good points. Also back in "the day" a water break was considered a weakness. Salt tablets were handed out like candy on Christmas morning and we never heard of a heat index.

And yet somehow we survived. Legitimate injuries are one thing, faking it to get out of practice is another. I know that my team had a rule like this and I made darn sure I didn't miss practice. It only took missing the start of one game. I don't think they kept me out for the whole thing but to be honest, missing one play would have probably been enough for me.:D

And yet somehow we survived. Legitimate injuries are one thing, faking it to get out of practice is another. I know that my team had a rule like this and I made darn sure I didn't miss practice. It only took missing the start of one game. I don't think they kept me out for the whole thing but to be honest, missing one play would have probably been enough for me.:D

My coaches always said "what don't kill you will make you stronger":lol: .

We also had the rule and I don't recall many players breaking it. There were times when I thought it would kill me but like you said we managed to survive.

It's a whole different mindset in todays sports world and coaches have to be extremely careful in their decision making.

I do think the coaches of today do a much better job of keeping the kids health and best interest in check.

I think that it's old school mentality v. new. Back then, everyone practiced, no matter what. Recently coaches have come to the conclusion that having fresh players on Friday night got better results than kids who were beat up, and kept hitting during the week. Friday is what counts. Practice is preparation for Friday, and if you keep hurting yourself, or run your team into the ground, they peak to early. If everyone else practices full go, then all teams will be on the same footing. However, if a team can keep it's players fresh w/out sacrificing execution, why wouldn't you do it? That would appear to be an advantage to me.

Stirring it up! Back in the day...if you didn't practice during the week, you didn't play Friday night. I see more and more "Band-aid Billy's" sit out and then get into games before kids who have worked all week. How does your school handle this situation? No names of kids please...just situational thoughts!

Is this happening in Ft Thomas?