NKY 6A District

changeup

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will go with BC leading this one, if for no other reason than Corey Farris. Great RB and the rest of the team isn't half bad either.

Ryle has a ton kids with talent waiting in the wings, so I think they will be ok also, not to mention they return their QB if I'm not mistaken. The only negative I have heard, was that a football coache ran off some potentially good athletes that played baseball and were planning on joining the football team when their season concluded. I only bring it up so that it won't happen again hopefully. I'm actually a Ryle Raider fan, (after my beloved Dixie Colonels that is). Talented athletes can help any program, and turning kids off that would otherwise contribute is a bad idea in my book.

CC will have a good D but I think SK will edge them out of the third spot. The pioneers offense should be entertaining to watch, lots of quality skill players. Ponzer and Gibson are two quality wide outs, and the backfield should have quite a bit of speed as well. They may even give Ryle a run for their money before it's all said and done.

I don't see CC having the O to compete and beat the first three teams.

Conner is a mystery that I will know more about next week. See you at the field on Friday Cougars!

Same thing happened to Ryle's basketball program a few years ago, some coaches make it hard for a kid to play 2 or 3 sports. I know one tallented baseball player that started at DB last year and I understand is looking pretty good on the O side of the ball this summer, but he skipped summer baseball to concentrate on football.

I will go with BC leading this one, if for no other reason than Corey Farris. Great RB and the rest of the team isn't half bad either.

Ryle has a ton kids with talent waiting in the wings, so I think they will be ok also, not to mention they return their QB if I'm not mistaken. The only negative I have heard, was that a football coache ran off some potentially good athletes that played baseball and were planning on joining the football team when their season concluded. I only bring it up so that it won't happen again hopefully. I'm actually a Ryle Raider fan, (after my beloved Dixie Colonels that is). Talented athletes can help any program, and turning kids off that would otherwise contribute is a bad idea in my book.

CC will have a good D but I think SK will edge them out of the third spot. The pioneers offense should be entertaining to watch, lots of quality skill players. Ponzer and Gibson are two quality wide outs, and the backfield should have quite a bit of speed as well. They may even give Ryle a run for their money before it's all said and done.

I don't see CC having the O to compete and beat the first three teams.

Conner is a mystery that I will know more about next week. See you at the field on Friday Cougars!

I know for sure that Ryle's policy under Coach Warner is that players are actually encouraged to play whatever sports they can. However, they are expected to be at football once the mandatory period begins. It's called commitment to the team. Commitment has led to success at Ryle and will continue to do so this year. Ryle will not experience a dropoff from last year's level of play. People doubted them last year and people already doubt them this year. Good news - the Raider players don't doubt themselves or their coaches.

The Ryle/CCH scrimmage should tell us a lot about the Raiders.

I don't know if I completely agree, G. If you mean it will give them an idea of what to work on and maybe influence some position battles, I agree.

If you mean it will give us an idea of how they project in NKY 6A, I'll respectfully disagree.

I don't know if I completely agree, G. If you mean it will give them an idea of what to work on and maybe influence some position battles, I agree.

If you mean it will give us an idea of how they project in NKY 6A, I'll respectfully disagree.

CSHS is correct so much of the time it is scary. I agree totally with him as usual.

I know for sure that Ryle's policy under Coach Warner is that players are actually encouraged to play whatever sports they can. However, they are expected to be at football once the mandatory period begins. It's called commitment to the team. Commitment has led to success at Ryle and will continue to do so this year. Ryle will not experience a dropoff from last year's level of play. People doubted them last year and people already doubt them this year. Good news - the Raider players don't doubt themselves or their coaches.

I'm not trying to question Coach Warner or the majority of Ryle coaches for that matter. I think they do a great job. I've known a few of them for years and have the utmost respect for the job they do. I am referring to a specific instance where I know that a kid was told choose and the HS baseball team was not done playing yet. That is not encouraging. I realize that last years team had a few great players who did both with no problem, so it is obvious that you are correct and it is encouraged. Murray played last year on both correct? We all know how good he was. My point is that if their are others that could contribute, and I know personally that their are, then it would be a good idea to get everyone on the same page.

Good luck Raiders!

I'm not trying to question Coach Warner or the majority of Ryle coaches for that matter. I think they do a great job. I've known a few of them for years and have the utmost respect for the job they do. I am referring to a specific instance where I know that a kid was told choose and the HS baseball team was not done playing yet. That is not encouraging. I realize that last years team had a few great players who did both with no problem, so it is obvious that you are correct and it is encouraged. Murray played last year on both correct? We all know how good he was. My point is that if their are others that could contribute, and I know personally that their are, then it would be a good idea to get everyone on the same page.

Good luck Raiders!

I don't doubt your account of a particular player being told that, however I know for a fact that there are a few players from the 07 baseball team playing for coach Warner this year. Are you implying there may be a double standard?

Good luck Raiders!

It was not the HS baseball team but rather a summer baseball team. The Ryle team ended in mid-June due to their success and, obviously, players are expected to finish the season. A good number of football players played baseball on the frosh, JV and varsity teams and they are playing football this fall. Coach Warner expects kids planning to play varsity football to be present once football practice is mandatory in mid-July. So, kids need to make a decision about whether to play baseball past mid-July or choose to play football. There is nothing wrong with that. Life is about making choices and this expectation is fair.

It was not the HS baseball team but rather a summer baseball team. The Ryle team ended in mid-June due to their success and, obviously, players are expected to finish the season. A good number of football players played baseball on the frosh, JV and varsity teams and they are playing football this fall. Coach Warner expects kids planning to play varsity football to be present once football practice is mandatory in mid-July. So, kids need to make a decision about whether to play baseball past mid-July or choose to play football. There is nothing wrong with that. Life is about making choices and this expectation is fair.

I'm on the fence on this issue. I used to be like you, Luv, but now I'm not so sure. Do you tell Farris to not play summer baseball and forgo the opportunity for a scholarship? Do you tell Elliott he can't play for Walt past June? I think it takes two mature coaches with a solid relationship - that is usually the problem in these cases.

I'm on the fence on this issue. I used to be like you, Luv, but now I'm not so sure. Do you tell Farris to not play summer baseball and forgo the opportunity for a scholarship? Do you tell Elliott he can't play for Walt past June? I think it takes two mature coaches with a solid relationship - that is usually the problem in these cases.

I totally understand your thinking for multi-sport athletes and I understand coaches that want their players to be present once mandatory practice begins. I know that Vince played summer baseball until dead period was over in mid July and then he quit to be there at mandatory practices. To the best of my knowledge, Coach Warner has stuck to that philosophy for multiple-sport players, even very good ones like Vince Murray. I really believe he would have treated Corey the same way as Vince because I have not seen Coach Warner play favorites during the 4+ years that I have watched him operate.

I totally understand your thinking for multi-sport athletes and I understand coaches that want their players to be present once mandatory practice begins. I know that Vince played summer baseball until dead period was over in mid July and then he quit to be there at mandatory practices. To the best of my knowledge, Coach Warner has stuck to that philosophy for multiple-sport players, even very good ones like Vince Murray. I really believe he would have treated Corey the same way as Vince because I have not seen Coach Warner play favorites during the 4+ years that I have watched him operate.

So he would have forbade Corey from playing football if he was the Boone coach?

IMO, he would have treated him the same way he treated Vince Murray. Remember, Corey is a 1-way all-star. Vince Murray was a 2-way all star and player of the year in Northern Kentucky. So, I believe he would have treated both athletes the same. He would have said that he expected Corey to be at mandatory practice. If not, he would go on without him. Tough but equal policy for all and I certainly see both sides of the coin.