Low Blood Pressure

youknowme

My wife also has a blood pressure that reads low on most check ups. Her Dr. says not to worry.

She is always "freezing to death" as she puts it. She is watching TV at this moment wrapped up with a blanket.:eek: :lol: Do others with low blood pressure have the same problem?

That's me. I have a blanket in my office because I'm always so cold.

My hands are perpetually stiff from coldness.

In the summer, I have a quilt on my couch for TV watching. In the winter, it's my quilt, a Trinity stadium blanket and a comforter. I try to coax the little pupster to snuggle on my feet, too. :D

I had high blood pressure and I take medicine for it however, I have it under control presently. My wife on the other hand has low blood pressure and she is always wearing a sweater or wrapped up in a blanket. I am glad she is okay and back home. JD

YES :thumb: I too freeze all the time and just awhile ago was watching TV with a blanket. I also eat alot of salt...dosn't make my blood presure go up.

My wife is also eats a lot of salt. I kid her about putting salt on her salt.

That's me. I have a blanket in my office because I'm always so cold.

My hands are perpetually stiff from coldness.

In the summer, I have a quilt on my couch for TV watching. In the winter, it's my quilt, a Trinity stadium blanket and a comforter. I try to coax the little pupster to snuggle on my feet, too. :D

:thumb: That sounds just like it is at our house. My wife also has the stiffness problems with her hands.

If you get near her blanket she will growl like the family pet.:lol:

I do worry that there could be something causing the cold problem, (things that Ram mentioned) but all her check ups have been fine and she never misses a day of work.

It's a defense mechanism. The first thing that the body does to regulate itself is shut down blood supply to the skin. That is why people begin to turn pale and sweat profusely when their BP drops. The body says, "hey, the brain needs oxygen, so shut down the blood to the skin and send it to the brain". It's kinda like a fale safe. People with bad circulation have this problem, not a enough blood to the vital organs, so the skin gets left out.

:thumb: Thanks for the info Ram. Very interesting take on the problem of being cold and it's relation to Low BP.

Are you a doctor or did you just stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night???

But seriously, you seem to know your stuff & you have been a big help in my understanding of all this. Thanks.

I'm a paramedic. Glad I could help.:thumb:

Hypotension is generally considered to be a blood pressure under 90/60. The big danger with hypotension is that not enough oxygen is being pumped throughout the body, especially to the brain. Lightheadedness, dizziness or fainting can be signs of dangerous hypotension and should be checked by a physician. Hypotension can lead to seizures and arithmea. Possible tests can include EKG, echocardiogram, stress test and other tests. Hypotension can be dangerous.

High Blood pressure is my area of concern, it runs in my family, along with cancer, diabetes, and heart disease. So I just drink because everyone in our family had great livers.

In all seriousness though that really does concern me, I'm in better shape than almost anyone I know, but I'm always affraid I'm gonna be "that guy" that's like 20 or 30 something and has a heart attack while working out. I try not to think about it, but with the family history it's always in the back of my mind.